ArcThemALL!

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

ArcThemALL!

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

It is a portable software to multi-compress files and folders in UPX, ZIP and 7z formats. It includes an intelligent UPX compression mode, the self-extracting archive creation, the encryption/decryption of archives and much more.

Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/arcthemall/

It is my first beta release, so I need help to test and improve it :wink:
Last edited by Lupo73 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Would be nice to be able to resize the window (so I can see the whole path) or maybe a pop-up window with the file path.

I put a shortcut in SendTo folder (windows xp home sp3) and is not working (it does open ArcThemAll but it is empty and the 3 icons are not there).

How do I add just one file (and not the whole folder) ?
Edit: I see now that I can use drag and drop for one file - nice.

The idea is brilliant!
It works great.
Thank you!

Lupo73

#3 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for these advices, I'll try to do my best.

Lupo73

#4 Post by Lupo73 »

New version 1.0 beta2 available :)

v1.0 beta2 (06-08-2008)
- added a more complete Readme file
- added tooltip for long items in the visual list
- added AES-256 encryption also for zip format
- fixed a relative path issue

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

v1.0b2 bug:
If "Always on top" option is selected the tooltip opens behind the main window.

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

thanks for the report, it seem to be a bug of AutoIt (the compiler of my app). I have reported it to them. :)

Lupo73

#7 Post by Lupo73 »

It's now available the first stable release of this application :D
(may be solved the tooltip bug and some other fixes)

This the last change log:
v1.0 (10-09-2008)
- improved performance
- fixed tooltip bug when app is set on "Always on top"
- fixed some minor bugs

Onesimus Prime

#8 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Hi Lupo73,
I'm enjoying your program so far. But a few suggestions, if I may?

Under 'Compress,' it'd be REALLY nice if there were an option for "single archive per Parent folder." For example, some portable programs have their language files in a subfolder and right now, that subfolder would get made into a separate archive. Basically, having an option to maintain the hierarchy while compressing would be wonderful.

Also, I wonder whether it might be possible to have an option where, instead of always extracting to the same Output folder, you could instead extract to whatever directory a given archive file is currently in.

On Decompress, it'd be nice if you had an additional option somehow to decompress ALL (supported) archive formats (not including UPX). I'd like to drop .7z and .zip in there and unzip them all in one go, without having to tell the program which to work with.

I don't know how feasible it is to add RAR decompression (I know the compression isn't possible), but that's probably the 2nd or 3rd most common format I run across...

Drag-and-drop with multiple files at once isn't working on Vista - ATA will only take one file at a time. I don't know if the bug is in ArcThemAll or Vista, though! It'd be kinda neat if your program had an intelligent 'check' to keep people from dropping the exact same archive in twice. (Same name and same location might be a good way to check?)

I changed my Output folder to be relative to the program directory, i.e. ".\extracted archives". It'd be nice if this were easier than editing the .ini - and I'd personally really rather the default Output location weren't on the Desktop, either.

For the dropdown menu for .zip and .7z (when decompressing), what do those different options mean?

Thanks for contributing a really helpful program!

Lupo73

#9 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for all these advices, I'll try to do my best with next releases. I'll add these advices in the todo list.
Have you used the last v1.0.1 for the multiple files drop feature? because I use it on Vista and it work fine..
Anyway the aim of this app is to be a easy multi-compressor, that born to be an UPX compressor only, and that I decide to expand also with other formats. So, for the moment, I think will not be implemented other formats, but will be added more powerful features "only". :D

Onesimus Prime

#10 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Awesome! Yeah, I really like how small and fast it is.
I hadn't realized there was a 1.0.1 update out already.

Thanks for considering my ideas...

Lupo73

#11 Post by Lupo73 »

New release available, this the change log:

v1.1 (04-10-2008)
- improved performance
- added support for relative output paths
- added support to extract in corresponding archive folder
- added support to create archive in corresponding file folder
- changed 7z/zip extraction mode names
- changed the default output directory
- fixed some minor bugs

@ Onesimus Prime: tell me what you think about this new release :wink:

Onesimus Prime

#12 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Wow, you've been busy - major changes underfoot! I think you got most of the stuff I commented on, and "in one fell swoop," so to speak.
I really like how you changed the Output - it seems a lot more flexible to me.

In your "ToDo," I noticed:
- decompression of all supported formats (I assume this is like what I mentioned above - doing both .7z and .zip without having to switch?)

I really appreciate the capability to output to "the directory of each file loaded." I think I did find a bug in that, however. When working with a subfolder like "languages", it is included in the program's .zip now - but it's also made into a separate languages.zip file! So that seems to be a "remnant" of the previous method?

One other small thing: maybe let ATA retain one's settings in the drop-down menu, like "Single archive per folder" in Compress or "New folder each archive" in Decompress, for example?

Mighty nice, overall! That's what I think. :wink:

P.S. If you get tired of my nitpicking at some point, just let me know (nicely). It's my pleasure to try and contribute suggestions, as long as they're helpful to you and to fellow end-users... :)

Lupo73

#13 Post by Lupo73 »

Your advices are useful and help me to improve and fix this app, so are welcome..
I don't understand what you want to say with the "One other small thing.."

Onesimus Prime

#14 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure which part you don't understand...

"One other small thing" - just a very small additional suggestion that I hadn't thought to mention before.

The suggestion - On the lower left of your program (below the "radio buttons" for UPX, zip, or 7z), there's a drop-down menu. I was just suggesting that maybe you could make that menu "remember" what was selected. Right now even switching between "Compress" and "Decompress" will reset that drop-down menu to the first option...
It'd be nice if, for example, once I selected "New Folder Each Archive" for decompressing a 7z, the program retained that setting until it's changed again by the user.

Did that clarify things?

Lupo73

#15 Post by Lupo73 »

oh ok, I'll add this feature in one of the next releases..