ArcThemALL!

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: ArcThemALL!

#151 Post by Lupo73 »

Version 4.0 released! Now it supports other two exe compressors, but they are fully separated from the software for license restrictions. It has also an improved interface (with icons to easily understand the process) and other minor improvements. ;)

guinness

#152 Post by guinness »

Thought you might find this interesting >> http://www.ghacks.net/2011/04/10/arcthe ... -software/

Lupo73

#153 Post by Lupo73 »

Following advices reported in gHacks article, we are working to improve ArcThemALL! to make it more efficient and clean. This is a screenshot of the new interface under development:

The plan is to implement also features to filter dropped files/folders, to automatically show only supported formats.. but I'd like to know how it may works in your opinion:
- if create an hidden list of all dropped items and show only formats supported by the current compression/extraction modality
- or if load only formats supported by the current modality, ignoring unsupported formats at all

joby_toss

#154 Post by joby_toss »

I'd like to see the whole list, but the unsupported files to be "greyed out".

guinness

#155 Post by guinness »

Nice idea joby!

guinness

#156 Post by guinness »

What about this instead joby_toss?

joby_toss

#157 Post by joby_toss »

Could be. The main purpose is to clearly see the distinction between supported and unsupported files.

grannyGeek

#158 Post by grannyGeek »

I like the direction this is going.

just a quick wish --- any chance of having an "Edit List" button on the main UI with dropdown list of the "add items", "remove selected", and "clear list" options?
I think that might be more intuitive for new users than a right-click context menu.
(and a happier experience for those who don't like right-clicking).

Lupo73

#159 Post by Lupo73 »

I don't know..the idea was to clear the UI.. I could consider to use a unique button for that 3 actions + Options (with a dropdown list).. could it be a good solution?

grannyGeek

#160 Post by grannyGeek »

That should work pretty well.
Or, you could offer the editing options on both a context menu AND on the dropdown. But that might be more confusing.

(ps, you've got mail)

Lupo73

#161 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm not sure.. do you think only context menu is a bad solution?
It makes the UI simple and clean.. and users that don't like right-click menu, could use hotkeys to select those options..

grannyGeek

#162 Post by grannyGeek »

I wouldn't say its a "bad" solution, just that not everybody would know that there is even a context menu available. A clean UI is a very good thing, as long as a new user can find their way to the functions they need without having to read a help file (we all know that lots of folks don't open the help file until they have a problem)

That's why I like the idea of including the buttons on the Options dropdown, you know right away that you will get to some functions when you click a button or an icon.

(ps, you got more mail)

guinness

#163 Post by guinness »

I like ContextMenus (since I discovered the best way to implement in AutoIt) I also think that users feel more comfortable with a Right-Clicking than Dropdown menu's

grannyGeek

#164 Post by grannyGeek »

ok, I concede. I guess it comes down to personal preferences and habit. I developed mine so many years ago when I learned how to make custom toolbars in Excel, and quit having to use multiple clicks to access any function, and you know how stubborn us old folks can be :P

Lupo73

#165 Post by Lupo73 »

I'd like to know other opinions about it.. anyway I thought that we could show the context menu in main software screenshot (as the preview I posted).. in this way most of users see it when visit software webpage..
(I'm still considering if add also a button with a duplicate context menu..)

I have also a feature question for you: has someone an idea of how to "check upxed files after compression"? do you think verify if the compressed file still exists is enough?