EjectUSB

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Queue

#106 Post by Queue »

m^(2) wrote:Drop Avast an email.
I contacted them a long time ago but never got anything besides an automated response. It won't matter anymore though, as 1.4 won't be triggering a false positive with Avast. I will drop a line to any anti-virus that gets a false positive once I finalize 1.4; currently CAT-QuickHeal and eTrust-Vet mark EjectUSB 1.4 as ''suspicious'' according to a VirusTotal scan. That's with a scrambled UPX header. Without, Ikarus has a true false positive (reports it as some trojan), and since the difference is the UPX identifiers, it means Ikarus is garbage. =P

EjectUSB is a UPX'd AutoIt script, meaning it's a serious pain in the butt for signature-based virus scanners to NOT trip over it, since there's UPX'd AutoIt-based malware out there, and I'm surprised how much trouble it ISN'T having. I tried some other executable compressors and encryptors and they all trigger drastically more false positives than UPX.

Queue

Queue

#107 Post by Queue »

I went ahead and released version 1.4 today. MiDoJo had some unusual results testing on Vista with a successful ejection message not appearing, but I couldn't reproduce the issue with two other Vista beta testers or myself on 3 different Vista machines, but I put in a theorhetical safe-guard just in case.

Ejection speed should seem much quicker and a couple bugs were squished. I still haven't written up any hybrid batch scripting documents (partially because it's been so long since I worked directly on EjectUSB), but the system has held up fine during testing, so that's probably next on my plate.

http://www.ejectusb.com

Queue

m^(2)

#108 Post by m^(2) »

I created a tool that resolves one problem with EjectUSB. I guess that hybrid batches do almost the same, but they don't yet work. ;)

Problem: You want to execute some action every time you eject USB, i.e. properly shut down all running virtual machines. EjectUSB gives them some definable time and kills. Some programs might require special treatment to close correctly, i.e. StatBar.

ShutdownRun lets you execute any commands at EjectUSB ejection or system shutdown. Bypasses EjectUSB time limits.

spicydog

Eject USB v.1.4 ROCKS BIG TIME!!!!!

#109 Post by spicydog »

WWIT
Last edited by spicydog on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

paciuli

#110 Post by paciuli »

Exclusions list doesn't work for me. It just closes everything (beside the exclusions thing, it does that perfectly :wink: )

guinness

Re: EjectUSB

#111 Post by guinness »

So 1.5 has been released for 3months :) and so far no problems. I was wondering when you were looking at implementing version 1.6? or do you think that the application has reached your expectations? I had an idea for a new feature, perhaps add an additional command line (e.g. \gui) so when specified it will show a GUI interface of the connected USB devices, the same as in USBDiskEjector, but with a checkbox included to decide whether to automatically close the GUI upon selection of the drive or to keep the GUI so more devices can be selected for ejection. Its the best program I use that is entirely Autoit scripted :)
Cheers, guinness

guinness

EjectUSB GUI

#112 Post by guinness »

I have created a simple GUI (Graphical User Interface) for EjectUSB. It will look for EjectUSB.exe in the same directory as EjectUSB GUI or if not found will look in the attached drives at the root i.e. D:\EjectUSB.exe.
I have included the sourcecode so anyone can play around with and improve if they so wish, plus I have done this because EjectUSB is opensource I felt I had to follow in the same footsteps 8)

.how to use | select the drive you wish to dismount and click the EjectUSB button, if you select the system drive e.g. C:\ this will disable the button. the button which shows the EjectUSB icon is to access the settings GUI in EjectUSB. I used the icon because as per the disclaimer the icon can be used for EjectUSB purposes.
.download |
. comments | http://softwarespot.wordpress.com
Last edited by guinness on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

guinness

EjectUSB

#113 Post by guinness »

I have noticed a bug :twisted: in EjectUSB, when you use it command line, if you have it ticked to eject the drive as well the program hangs and you have to exit via the taskbar icon, but if you untick auto dismount the program exits fine.

guinness

#114 Post by guinness »

Any Comments?

joby_toss

#115 Post by joby_toss »

It is useful.
Thanks!

alanbcohen

#116 Post by alanbcohen »

Actually Guinness,
Not getting any complaints is a good sign!
Alan

guinness

#117 Post by guinness »

True! I am doing this for me just to learn AutoIT and C++ but want to create something useful!

MiDoJo

#118 Post by MiDoJo »

Tested and approved Windows 7

Works as it did with Vista

(Queue can you update the DB entry :) )

MiDoJo

#119 Post by MiDoJo »

MiDoJo wrote:Tested and approved Windows 7

Works as it did with Vista

(Queue can you update the DB entry :) )