Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable Rev. 4 - Must Have!

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
demon.devin

Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable Rev. 4 - Must Have!

#1 Post by demon.devin »

Application: Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Category: Security
Description:
The Emsisoft Emergency Kit contains a collection of programs that can be used without software installation to scan for malware and clean infected computers: Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner and Emsisoft Commandline Scanner. (Source: Homepage)

Permission was granted to me by Emsisoft to create Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable.

Notes:
This package comes with two portable launchers for the user's convenience and preference; EmergencyKitPortable.exe (main program) and CLScannerPortable.exe (commandline utility).

This package also comes with a batch command script that I wrote called CLScanner.cmd. This small utility is executed by launching the CLScannerPortable.exe and gives the user a step-by-step, user-friendly method for using Emsisoft's Commandline Scanner.

All the command line switches available to Emsisoft's Commandline Scanner can be passed to EmergencyKitPortable.exe which will start the Commandline Scanner bypassing the main UI (i.e. "EmergencyKitPortable.exe /quick"). This is convenient for those who would like to automate certain tasks like scanning files when using a download manager and so on.

When installing, it will unpack all the applicable files into the App directory in a folder called EEK just as if you had extracted the contents of Emsisoft's official .zip package from their website yourself. The installer will then delete the unnecessary Languages and Signatures directories in the EEK\bin32 folder. After which it'll move the two directories Languages and Signatures inside the EEK\bin64 folder and put them into the App\DefaultData folder.

Moreover, on the first initial launch of either EmergencyKitPortable.exe or CLScannerPortable.exe, the launcher will move the two folders, Languages and Signatures and copy them into the Data directory. Once that's finished, the launcher will then delete both directories from the DefaultData folder. The launcher can then proceed in moving these two folders back and forth between Data and the corresponding application folder depending on the system's bit-depth (i.e. ..\App\EEK\bin32 or ..\App\EEK\bin64). The launchers will move these two folders instead of having the launcher copy them; this makes for faster launch and unload speeds.

I have the installer and launchers do all the aforementioned rigmarole in order to cut this package's size damn near in half. With revisions 1 or 2, you were looking at a folder size of close to 700mb after install and first signature update. However, with the new revision 4, you're only looking at about 360mb after install and first signature update.

This application requires administrative privileges to run.

New in Revision 4:
  • Changed the logic for language support to the Custom.nsh file for better language handling.
  • You can now set your desired language in the optional user configuration file. (EmergencyKitPortable.ini)
  • Updated CLScanner.cmd (current version is 1.1) to support scans using NTFS Alternate Data Streams.
  • You can now allow the program to restart itself after updating the signatures database.
  • Fixed checking for minimum operating system support. EEK requires at least Windows 7 to run.
DOWNLOAD
Online Install:
Emergency Kit Rev. 4 Multilingual Online [0.96 MB+572.86MB download / 366MB installed]
(MD5: BD4BE6A264A94BB69A0DB9479347629D)
Last edited by demon.devin on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Midas

Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable

#2 Post by Midas »

FYI, Emsisoft Emergency Kit database entry is at https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2651 (official forum topic at viewtopic.php?t=18164).

demon.devin

#3 Post by demon.devin »

That version leaves trash behind on the computer. That one isn't stealth at all but with my version you can rest assured that it's completely stealth because I take care of all the registry entries as well as the Windows Service.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Great! 8)

demon.devin

Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable Rev. 4 - Must Have!

#5 Post by demon.devin »

New version available (Rev. 4)!

Please refer to the original post above for detailed notes on what's included and what has changed with this new release.

If you're a fan of this program than this portable version is a must have in your collection!

Took me all day to complete this revision 4. I hope people will appreciate my efforts.. :P