VLC Portable 32/64-bit Multilingual Online Installer

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
demon.devin

#1 Post by demon.devin »

Here's a PAF of an online installer for VLC Portable with filetype associations support during runtime.

In the optional user configuration file I've added the key Associations= which can be set to a boolean value of true/false to turn on/off associations support.

To upgrade VLC Portable, simply rerun the installer and select your bit depth accordingly; or choose both 32-bit and 64-bit version if you plan on running this on computers with both architectures.

webfork

Re: VLC Portable 32/64-bit Multilingual Online Installer

#2 Post by webfork »

Very cool but ... how do you use this? Are you just running the program and it downloads the rest of VLC? Is the source included?

demon.devin

#3 Post by demon.devin »

webfork wrote:Very cool but ... how do you use this? Are you just running the program and it downloads the rest of VLC? Is the source included?
It's safe to say that anything I create and share will have the source code included. You can find all the custom code I used in the custom.nsh file located in the ..\VLCPortable\App\AppInfo\Launcher directory. You can also find the custom installer code I used to create the online installer for this PAF in the ..\VLCPortable\Other\Source\Installer folder as well.

On another note, I realize I may not explain everything I've made available with the PAFs I create but you can always read the ReadMe.txt file which is also in the ..\VLCPortable\Other\Source folder which outlines what you can expect using my PAFs. That file also holds a change log for that portable and any important notes I think the end-user needs to be aware of. Plus, you can find extra command line switches you can use with my online installers; along with a means to install VLC even if you have no internet connection.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Thanks for that.

The reason I ask is just for casual visitors who might drop by and see something you've done. Without a clear path to use, they might skip it. I think that's one of the things that's hindered the adoption of other portablizers beyond PA: they require a little digging to make them work.