Automatic Disc Size

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
luviju

Automatic Disc Size

#1 Post by luviju »

Hi. I am developing a program and was interested in the opinion of you.
The name is Automatic Disc Size, you can fit multiple files and folders to take advantage the maximum disk capacity.
For those with long memories, the same function the SizeMe (Lars Werner) program. Very useful when backUp.
The program is under development, any ideas, improvement suggestions are welcome.

Link: http://code.fosshub.com/Automatic-Disc-Fit
Download: http://code.fosshub.com/Automatic-Disc-Fit/downloads
ChangeLog: http://code.fosshub.com/Automatic-Disc- ... /Changelog
Last version: 1.37

I appreciate if someone can verify that it works well x64 version for the moment I could not prove.(Thanks I am Bass and smaragdus)
I do not speak English fluently, so if you find an error in the translation of the program do not panic and let me know that I correct.
If there are some brave want to translate to another language, in the menu Settings -> Options -> Avance Settings you can export the English and Spanish language. The program will automatically recognize it when it restarts.
Muchas Gracias!!!
Last edited by luviju on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: Automatic Disc Size

#2 Post by webfork »

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
luviju wrote:same function the SizeMe (Lars Werner) program
The SizeMe homepage: http://lars.werner.no/?page_id=2
Synopsis wrote:SizeMe makes it possible to scan a directory and compare it to how many floppy/zip/CD-R/DVD-discs you need. (Many calls it spanning or span of elements over a medium). It tries to fill each disc up as much as possible, and gives you the result on each disc.

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Thanks for posting here.

Why is AutomaticDiscFitV1.36(x64).exe compressed? Can you provide an uncompressed version for testing?

luviju

#4 Post by luviju »

webfork wrote:Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much. I was not present at the forum and I did not find the place to do it.
I am Baas wrote:Why is AutomaticDiscFitV1.36(x64).exe compressed? Can you provide an uncompressed version for testing?
Both the x86 and the x64 version are compressed using UPX to reduce its weight. Recently upload the two versions without the UPX compression.
http://code.fosshub.com/Automatic-Disc- ... outUPX.zip

The program is under development, any ideas, improvement suggestions are welcome. The idea that a finished, appears on the home page.
Thank you again. Greetings from Argentina

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Tested AutomaticDiscFitV1.36(x64)WithoutUPX.exe: Portable

Settings: cfg.ini in application folder

I did not discover any translation errors in the English GUI but the "About" popup box is partially in Spanish...
2016-02-07_141007.jpg
2016-02-07_141007.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 28988 times

BTW the embedded autoit file triggers a Trojan warning.

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

@luviju
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I tested all versions of Automatic Disc Fit 1.36 (x86, x64, without UPX compression) and both x64 versions crash when I drag and drop a file or a folder into the program, screen-shot below:
Automatic Disc Fit 1.36 x64 - 2016-02-08 - error - 001.png
This doesn't happen when I use the x86 versions. My system- Windows 8 x64.
By the way the Help is empty.

luviju

#7 Post by luviju »

smaragdus wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum!
Thank you very much
smaragdus wrote:I did not discover any translation errors in the English GUI but the "About" popup box is partially in Spanish...
Dialogue "About", I did a little rushed. Modify it to make it look a little better and be multi language.
smaragdus wrote:I tested all versions of Automatic Disc Fit 1.36 (x86, x64, without UPX compression) and both x64 versions crash when I drag and drop a file or a folder into the program ...
Thank you for testing the x64 version. The Drag and Drop Fuction that was using outdated. Now it should work fine (If you can test again to make sure). Also it did not work when running the program with administrator rights.

Thank you all for the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Download last version:
http://code.fosshub.com/Automatic-Disc- ... 7(x86).zip
http://code.fosshub.com/Automatic-Disc- ... 7(x64).zip

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@luviju
You are always welcome.
I tested the latest version of Automatic Disc Fit- 1.37 and I can confirm that drag&drop now works fine with the x64 version, thanks for the immediate fix!

Some tiny suggestions:
- You might try to make your e-mail in the About menu clickable- clicking it opens default mail client.
- You might add Exit command in File menu.
- You might add exporting to HTML- List menu- Export to HTML and Export all to HTML.
Of course these suggestions are not of great importance.

Best regards

tactictoe

#9 Post by tactictoe »

I tested this software today (AutomaticDiscFitV1.37(x64)), and it works fine under win7 and 8.1 64bits edition.
Both results in no crash with drag and drop.
I like the interface, nice and clean.
This is definitely a tool I will follow and see where it goes.

However each time under the win 8 64bits edition I start the program I have an alert from window itself
ADF.png
You Configuration file (cfg.ini) is written to disc when you close the software, it could be good to leave the end user to choose or not if this config has to be saved to disc. Via a checkbox in the options may be?

When the end user close the software a confirmation is asked: 'Are you sure' with modal button OK and Cancel. Is it really necessary? I would agree if they are work in progress or important modification to alert the end user of this work or modification. I used to do that in the past and was growl at by lots of people... when I was a young developer.
Quit Message.png
Quit Message.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 28610 times
Otherwise good work, :D

Thank you for sharing Automatic Disc Fit.