OneWay Backup

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
ozok

OneWay Backup

#1 Post by ozok »

OneWay Backup is a folder sync program. I've been developing it for a few months now. We use it in my work place to create folder mirrors in local network and it seems to work well. Since the configuration of the PCs it's tested/used on are similar I thought perhaps I can get different feedbacks from the community. I must admit that I tried to copy some ideas from existing projects (Bvckup etc).

It writes settings and logs to its own folder but there will also be an installer version.

Features:
  • -Scans for altered files and copies them only
    -Jobs can be run in batches
    -Can be called from console so scheduling a backup is very easy
    -Can create mirrors (i.e. delete files/folders from folder B so it is identical to folder A)
    -Can send emails when backup is done
See https://github.com/ozok/OneWay-Backup/releases for beta releases.
Also see https://github.com/ozok/OneWay-Backup for commandline parameters which makes it very easy to schedule backup tasks.

Needless to say I am open to suggestions etc.

smaragdus

Re: OneWay Backup

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@ozok

I did some superficial testing. At first look I would suggest some changes/features:
- an option to delete projects- this doesn't seem to be possible right now- perhaps 'Delete' button next to 'Add New'.
- preview mode- when executed it shows what will be updated/deleted.
- an option for the files which will be deleted to go to Recycle Bin.
- an option to switch source/destination folders in 'Edit Selected'
- perhaps it would look better just 'Edit' in stead of 'Edit Selected', 'New' in stead 'Add New' and 'Mail' in stead of 'Email Options'- I suggest this consequence of tool-bar buttons- 'New', 'Edit', 'Delete', 'Mail'- for me shorter names are better and they are not less obvious.
- perhaps you might switch the positions of 'Stop' and 'Run Jobs'- for me it is more logical 'Stop' to be at the end of the tool-bar. If you implement preview/simulate mode you might put also 'Preview'- 'Preview', 'Run', 'Stop'.
- in 'Edit Selected' capitalize 'Folder' in 'Destination folder:' to match style (since it is 'Source Folder:' and 'Project Name:'.

I suppose a 'Mirror something' would be more appropriate name for this project because of the nature of the program.

Anyway, OneWay Backup looks promising.

Off topic- any news about OooPlayer and cue sheets support?

ozok

#3 Post by ozok »

Thanks for the suggestions, I've implemented most of them. I plan to release an other beta in a few days.

I haven't worked on OooPlayer for a while now. I (re)moved radio player part to a seperate project and had been busy with it. OooPlayer will have to wait a little bit.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

At 3.4 megs RAM and 7.7 megs disk space, this is nice and small.

Screenshot:

Few notes:

- Even after a sync completes, you still have to click Stop, which makes me think it's a continuous sync program (is it?). Then, after you say "yes" to the prompt that checks if you're sure, it still doesn't appear to stop. I had to close and re-open the program to get it out of that loop.
- I got an error when the program tried to write a log file to C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\New Folder\logs\11\19\201511630PM.log

Wishlist:

- Ability to copy/paste/export items from the error log (will make it easier to post them here)
- Log file format simplicity. I would assume it's YYYYMMDDHHMM.log but ... that's not terribly clear.

ozok

#5 Post by ozok »

@webfork If you configured to send emails after backup is done, it may take a few moments before UI becomes responsive. I'm trying to find a different way to send email reports. I've also added an option to disable sending emails. Second problem may occur if dates are shown with "\" between number on your system. If this is the case, I'll fix it asap.

Thanks for testing it out.

ozok

#6 Post by ozok »

I prepared an other beta. You can find it at: https://github.com/ozok/OneWay-Backup/releases

Changes:
  • * Added: Preview as suggested by smaragdus
    * Added: Folder swap between source and dest in project edit/add window
    * Added: An option to disable/enable sending emails
    * Added: A log window will show full log when done
    * Added: Command line option to send emails
    * Fixed: Last modified date comparesion logic problem
    * Fixed: Log file name problem if date was displayed with "\"

smaragdus

#7 Post by smaragdus »

@ozok

Hello,

I tested OneWay Backup version 1.0.0.183 and I think I found a bug. I created a sub-folder in source containing one file inside it and when I hit 'Preview' OneWay Backup created this sub-folder in destination. I think that 'Preview' should not create anything in destination.

How to reproduce the bug- create a 'New Folder' in source, create 'New Text Document' in 'New Folder', click 'Preview' and OneWay Backup creates 'New Folder' (empty) in destination.

I think that a more visual preview showing what files/folders would be created/updated (like FreeFileSync and DirSync Pro for example) would be better. Also, an option to minimize OneWay Backup to tray would be handy, especially with bigger jobs which needs more time to be completed. I suggest 'Minimize to Tray' option in case you add 'Settings' to OneWay Backup.

ozok

#8 Post by ozok »

Thanks, I've fixed the bug in a commit.

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

@ozok
Thanks, when there is a new version of OneWay Backup I will test it more thoroughly.

ozok

#10 Post by ozok »

I've just published a RC. It includes many additions, fixes and improvements.
Added: A second method to copy files if first try fails
Added: A second method to delete files if first try fails
Added: An option to just compare last modified dates
Added: Logs are now csv files that can be opened with Excel etc
Added: Logs will be sent as attachments to emails
Added: Logs will be shown after backup is done
Added: Color codes to different types of log items
Added: An window to view older logs
Added: Logs will have ddmmyyyyhhnnss.csv file name format
Added: A button to send program to tray
Added: Sending test mail
Added: A new UI layout
Added: Program will remember its last position, size and state
Added: An about form
Improved: Performance regarding progress displays
Removed: Skin and related components and codes
Removed: General and error logs
Please see github release page to get latest one.

smaragdus

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@ozok

The x32 and x64 versions show different version number- x32- 1.0.0.0 and x64- 1.0.0.753.

Minimization to system tray is a good option- you may add right-click menus for tray icon- Open, Exit.

ozok

#12 Post by ozok »

I use win64 to test so its build number is greater than win32 but both versions are the same functionality-wise.

ozok

#13 Post by ozok »

Hello everyone.

I released an other RC, which, hopefully, will be the last one. This mostly focuses on email reports and interface improvements.

Changes from the previous release:

Code: Select all

Added: Three email report types: Compressed CSV attachment, HTML table email body, Compressed HTML attachment
Added: New toolbar
Added: Menu
Added: Error, Succes, Skipped and Deleted item counts in emails
Added: Email over ssl connection (tested with yandex mail only)
Added: Command lines to set email report type
Added: Many code improvements and refactorings
Fixed: Being unable to delete destination file was not reported in some cases
Fixed: Couldn't send report mail when backup was run a second time because program wouldn't disconnect from server
Removed: All skin related dependencies (makes exe smaller)
Please see github releases page to download the latest version.

Regards.

Edit: Screen shot

smaragdus

#14 Post by smaragdus »

The new GUI looks cool.
However About->Change Log shows a very strange change log- it seems to be Universal Extractor change log.
Currently when the user right-clicks on a project there are two context menu items:
- Open Source Directory
- Open Destination Directory
What about adding the additional commands available at the tool-bar to context menu (right-click- Edit, Delete, Preview, Run..., etc)?
I would also like to suggest an option to sort projects alphabetically by clicking on Project Name- first click- alphabetical sorting, next click- reversed alphabetical sorting, etc.
I think there is a bug- when no project is selected Open Source Directory and Open Destination Directory should not be available- now right-clicking on empty space shows both commands which of course cannot be executed when no project is selected. Perhaps when no project is selected and the user right-clicks on empty space inside OneWay Backup there may be another context menu command- Add a new backup project.

shnbwmn

#15 Post by shnbwmn »

This is completely off-topic but I just wanted to say thank you for your software. I love your audio/video encoders and your video downloader. I was looking for a backup/sync-type program and I'll definitely test this one out.