OneWay Backup

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
webfork

Re: OneWay Backup

#16 Post by webfork »

shnbwmn wrote:This is completely off-topic but I just wanted to say thank you for your software.
That kind of sentiment is very welcome. Too often I get wrapped up in program bugs, feature suggestions, etc. and don't say thanks for the base program I'm using.

We're really lucky to have ozok here in the forums and in freeware.

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Ditto. +1! 8)

ozok

#18 Post by ozok »

@all thank you very much, it really means a lot. It truly does.

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

I just re-tested this for the purposes of editing the entry and took some notes:

* Really liked the addition of the minimize to tray button next to the minimize button. Every program should have that.

* The Backup Logs window is very well done. I like that it's in CSV and I like the ease of navigation.

On the file comparison option

* What is the "full file search" ?

* Also on the file comparison, why is there MD5 + Last Modified Date? If this is a sync program, shouldn't it just be MD5?

Minor UI suggestions

* The menu "Project" was a little cramped on my screen (the word "New" partially covers "CTRL+N")

* The "activate all projects" and "run" operation was a little confusing. I'd suggest putting the activate / deactivate / reverse into the right-click menu as "check all, check none, reverse checked. I'd also give the checkbox items their own column called "Run"

* I'd push the about and donate buttons to single words in the top-right or bottom right corner of the program or under the "about" menu.

* I'd cut the "!!!" bit from the warning about passwords being saved in plaintext. I really don't think this is the terrible state of security I've heard some call it. Master passwords necessary to overcome this issue come with their own set of problems.

* Change "Send email at the end" to "Email on finish" to save a little screen real estate.

I might put together a mockup of the design I have in mind if that's helpful.

Wishlist

* Needs a link to the wiki site / help / whatever, though something inside the program is ideal.

* Preview function that shows what will happen with that sharp log file output. That would throw this back into the Files - Comparison category.

* Ability to do things other than shutdown on close (maybe under settings)

* Ability to clone a project (under right-click)

* You should explain somewhere in the program (mouseover, help file, whatever) what changing the buffer does. If this isn't something most users should mess with, I'd put a note next to it saying 'advanced users' or something similar.

* I recommend shifting the log numbering to YYYYMMDDHHMMSS so that it shows up in order of date under just a simple name sort. Also if you can throw some dashes in there, that's always helpful (e.g. 2016-01-05--12-13-55.csv).

ozok

#20 Post by ozok »

@webfork thanks for the suggestions and testing of course.