Intro to PortableFreeware.com

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Re: Intro to PortableFreeware.com

#16 Post by webfork »

vevy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:46 am
webfork wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 pm Under the hood
Very useful additions. I always used under the hood to refer to the mechanics of the program (read: the code itself; how it performs its functions), rather than non-obvious features. I am not sure if it is used differently here.
Thanks, I hope that pays off in the future.

The reference to a car hood probably isn't as compelling as it once was, but the way you describe it is admittedly more common. I used to hear that all the time about open source projects. That you "wouldn't buy a car with the hood nailed shut."

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Trying to rehash the debate on portability here to gauge community interest, starting with a couple of links and a personal definition I posted elsewhere...
Portable applications offer some definite advantages over their traditional counterparts. They’re lightweight, and they allow you to move between computers while taking your apps and settings with you.
Portable application: Not to be confused with software portability, portable executable, or multiarchitecture binary.

The Wikipedia article above is flagged with a "This article has multiple issues" banner that points to the talk page, which lists some interesting issues, BTW.

TPFC own portable definition is at https://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php (and in turn points to further relevant resources); a previous forum debate can also be found at viewtopic.php?t=15744.

Finally, here's a personal attempt at an operational definition:
What is a portable program?

While different people interpret the term differently -- from simple no installation required to the ability to run on different operating systems -- for our practical purposes, a portable program is a program that by design or by user adaptation can be run directly without any prior requirement, such as the need to be installed; it will run independently of Windows versions, is not tightly coupled to underlying special resources (such as frameworks or extensions that may not be present), can be executed without special system privileges and be moved around filesystems and/or computers without impairment of its features (chiefly resulting from loss of settings or configurations, but also from misplacement of user data).

Thus, portable software is more than just a program that can be run from a removable drive. Ideally, it's a self-contained application where all working elements, like system registry entries, data folders and required files can be easily retrieved from a set filesystem location and replicated or archived elsewhere without any loss of functionality. As an additional desirable feature -- usually referred by "stealth" -- any other system traces left by the program execution should be completely erased after termination.
BTW, I reckon the present topic would be better placed either at "[Site Matters] Suggestions/Discussions" or "Portable Freeware Discussion".

Andrew Lee

#18 Post by Andrew Lee »

BTW, I reckon the present topic would be better placed either at "[Site Matters] Suggestions/Discussions" or "Portable Freeware Discussion".
Agree that it belongs more to discussion forum, and I have performed the topic move.
The Wikipedia article above is flagged with a "This article has multiple issues" banner that points to the talk page, which lists some interesting issues, BTW.
Great read. Thanks for sharing. I think a lot of the issues listed, we have wrangled with over the years.
What is a portable program?

While different people interpret the term differently -- from simple no installation required to the ability to run on different operating systems -- for our practical purposes, a portable program is a program that by design or by user adaptation can be run directly without any prior requirement, such as the need to be installed; it will run independently of Windows versions, is not tightly coupled to underlying special resources (such as frameworks or extensions that may not be present), can be executed without special system privileges and be moved around filesystems and/or computers without impairment of its features (chiefly resulting from loss of settings or configurations, but also from misplacement of user data).

Thus, portable software is more than just a program that can be run from a removable drive. Ideally, it's a self-contained application where all working elements, like system registry entries, data folders and required files can be easily retrieved from a set filesystem location and replicated or archived elsewhere without any loss of functionality. As an additional desirable feature -- usually referred by "stealth" -- any other system traces left by the program execution should be completely erased after termination.
It should be noted that "can be executed without special system privileges" is program-dependent. For example, some programs require admin privilege eg. those that probe the low-level hardware, so those are exceptions, like programs that requires touching the registry to do their job.

I think of all the requirements, no-install is the only common denominator. Frameworks/extensions/runtime comes a close second. The rest, such as stealth, special privilege, settings preservation are all program-dependent.

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: I think of all the requirements, no-install is the only common denominator. Frameworks/extensions/runtime comes a close second. The rest, such as stealth, special privilege, settings preservation are all program-dependent.

Let's just say the old guard of TPFC -- the regulars when I first joined -- would strongly disagree, but I do concur with you, in fact.

Portability requirements are akin to a checklist, with each assuming a variable degree of importance for each user. Sadly, that does not a very good definition make... :|

Really paramount for me, for instance, is the upfront info on scope and stringency of said requirements.

Thanks for the topic move, BTW.