Portable Freeware Sugestions for Developers

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
LzBy1

Portable Freeware Sugestions for Developers

#1 Post by LzBy1 »

The purpose of this thread is for those of you out there that have ideas for portable freeware but don't have the time or skills to develop the applications. It's also for us developers out there who are looking for new, innovated ideas to solve problems and meet the needs of users. If you have an idea for a new game, applications, utility, or modification or plug-in for an already existing application or program, feel free to post any and all ideas.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I still can't find an explorer-type app that will allow me to manage my video files by listing detailed properties in sortable columns eg. codec used, bitrate, resolution, length of video etc. Instead, I have to use GSpot or MediaInfo to look at them one by one.

The ability to generate and view a "contact sheet" of the video on demand instead of having to play the video would be an excellent feature as well. This can be cached like when XnView does for photos so that it does not have to be regenerated every time.

1ace

portable teamspeak

#3 Post by 1ace »

is it possible to make a portable version of Teamspeak ?

LzBy1

General Portable OS

#4 Post by LzBy1 »

In response to the Teamspeak suggestion, I'm sure it's possible to develop a portable version of it, but judging from the website, I highly doubt that Teamspeak is open source, correct me if I'm wrong, and there is no way to make that application portable without being able to access the source code and rewriting the application. Doing so would also violate the software's copyright.
Software Piracy, Violations of Copyright
TeamSpeak Systems vigorously protects its copyrights and other intellectual property rights. No portion of the software provided on or through the TeamSpeak.com web site may be pirated (copied, reproduced, translated, or reduced to any electronic medium or machine-readable form, for purpose of transferring or selling the copy to another party) without the prior written consent of TeamSpeak Systems. TeamSpeak Systems reserves all rights and privileges guaranteed by worldwide copyright laws.
Someone would have to create an entirely new program from scratch, with the same features. But don't give up hope, there has to be some program already out there that does the same thing.

Also, it would be cool if someone could create a sort of, miniature portable OS that could be loaded onto a drive and that supports a registry, etc. so that application that aren't portable could be installed on the drive, then that OS can be started in windows and run just like a console application.

1ace

#5 Post by 1ace »

that's right, it copyrighted, but isn't it possible to "crack" it in order to just movesome files to teamspeak's folder and launch it ?
or is it too much illegal ?

LzBy1

#6 Post by LzBy1 »

anything is possible :wink:

however, I don't think that kind of stuff is endorsed by this site. Maybe you could send a nice email suggesting a portable version. Of course, you could always check the install log and registry to see what files are installed in what directories. As long as their are no special dependencies that are installed (such as "applicationspecialdll.dll" in ..windows/system32) i don't see why you could just, copy the files and use it portably. :roll:

as for actually distributing a modified portable version
You will not, and will not permit others to: (i) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works from the Software;...
but there is good news
TeamSpeak Systems welcomes suggestions for enhancing the Software...
I would recommend submitting a request for a portable version, or try copying the install directory after the install.. before trying to make a portable version, or getting someone else to do it, i personally am not a fan of lawsuits... and a "crack" is a good way to get on someones bad side.[/code]
Last edited by LzBy1 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1ace

#7 Post by 1ace »

ok, so if I understand, you can't do it, because it's illegal.
I will try what you said, but I'm really not sure to be able to do it :roll:
for the dependencies, the only thing I already know is that when I installed teamspeak, the setup launched another setup which installed the codecs, and I don't find them manually...
I will try to search in the registry, thanksfor all ;)

PS: If I manage to do that, can I post it here ?
PS2: I will post a similar request (w/o the "crack" suggest ^^) on TeamSpeak's forum ;)

LzBy1

don't know

#8 Post by LzBy1 »

You would have to ask Andrew Lee that, I don't know if it's OK to post that or not.

oh, and please excuse my poor English, I'm American :lol:

LzBy1

#9 Post by LzBy1 »

1ace wrote:ok, so if I understand, you can't do it, because it's illegal.
oh, it's more like I CAN do it, BUT it's illegal :wink: sorry

Firewrath

#10 Post by Firewrath »

well, i didnt plan on posting anything in this,
but since i was logged in,....... :P

Annyyyways,
ive wanted something for awhile now,
like SilentNight Inspector
But, that would show What program changed/read/accessed what file,
(i know it wouldnt be able to 100% of the time, but yeah, :P)
and would allow you to run another program, like clamwin or a file copier or whatever when a condition is met,
like if the file size changed, a new file was created, deleted, etc,
and, ofcourse, the option save a log to X size of all activity,
like what happened and what was done about it,
IE: <file> changed/etc; ran <program>

and be portable, ;)

But yeah, dont expect it, and its been on my 'list' fora while now so thought id put it out there, :P
(and, no, Winpooch doesnt count, >.<
it ends up crashing on me aLot, i know it does some stuff like this, but yeah, ...and the 'folder watch' or whatever its call, where it constantly scans a folder with Clamwin doesnt work with portable directories last time i checked,)

LzBy1

Suggestions

#11 Post by LzBy1 »

These suggestions are really good. Unfortunately, they are beyond me at the moment. But keep the suggestions coming, maybe someone else will develop the ideas.

Also, in case "someone else" happens to be an amazing programmer. While you're developing the other suggestion, do you think you could whip up a free portable version of final cut studio? :wink:

goodluck