Renaming Shell Extensions [was "MultiRename (PC Mag)..."]

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Midas

Renaming Shell Extensions [was "MultiRename (PC Mag)..."]

#1 Post by Midas »

A member of this forum who's also a developer kindly offered to look into the intricacies of something I vented in another topic: the fact that most 32 bit shell extensions cease to work when moved to x64 environments and how that strips some of us of long accepted (and forgotten) system enhancements.

That is certainly the case with file renaming; I've been a long time user of an old PCMag shell extension called MultiRename (see link at the end), a rather simple freeware utility that had an install/uninstall companion that made it pretty portable (just keep all file dependencies in a folder and move it wherever you need it). After my move to Windows XP Pro x64 SP2, I adapted to using the native awxRename (http://www.arniworld.de/downloads.htm) but although it's extremely powerful, it has a few bugs, documentation is scant (to say the least...) and PERL regex are not exactly what I call user friendly.

So here is the opening tender for suggestions on this kind of utility...
Follow me! wrote:Dialog hacked version with no install, posted as found...
Last edited by Midas on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

lautrepay

Re: x64 renaming shell extension(s)

#2 Post by lautrepay »

FileMenu Tools includes a renamer.

Midas

Re: x64 renaming shell extension(s)

#3 Post by Midas »

Thanks, lautrepay. An excellent choice for a one stop all-around context menu/shell extension utility, no doubt. I tend to favor a more modular approach, nonetheless...

Midas

Re: MultiRename (PC Mag) shell extension

#4 Post by Midas »

Having got my answers, this looks like a non sequitur right now, so the topic should probably be moved to the Non Portable Freeware sub-forum (@Mods!).

I'll publicize my appraisal of MultiRename, sent via PM, just in case...
Midas wrote:Two words, simplicity, and ease of use.

Renaming syntax is minute (traditional wildcard characters '?' and '*', '\l' for lower case, '\u' for upper case, '\i' for char\string insertion, '\-' for char deletion, and that's it!) and mnemonic (I'm so used to it that I didn't even need to look it up, but it's also available from MultiRename interface).

When more convoluted operations are needed, they can easily be broken down into consecutive steps (a simple but extremely common example: you have a series of files with names like 'file1', 'file2', ..., 'file9', 'file10', and so forth; first, I'd normalize the names of one digit files, and then do the mass renaming).

Undo functionality (via an extremely convenient auto-generated batch file, allowing for both documented changes as well as fine-tuning) is a definite plus when working with critical files.

Last, but not least, the availability of the program's GUI, only two clicks away from anywhere in the file system, making real easy to preview and adjust for desired outcomes.

loin2kolpotoru

#5 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I love awxRename. Dose anyone know any other similar utility with 64bit support?

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:I love awxRename. Dose anyone know any other similar utility with 64bit support?
[NOT PORTABLE ALERT!] I use it MultiRename in 32 bits Windows, along with awxRename (in both 32 and 64 bits) and I haven't found a single alternative for the later, except for the "Advanced Renamer" utility included in LopeSoft FileMenu Tools, as lautrepay timely noted above (untested! See viewtopic.php?t=15816)...

BTW, link in my first post above is now dead -- here's a screenie of (32 bits only!) MultiRename...

Just for completeness -- a screenie of awxRename dialogs...

Last edited by Midas on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

loin2kolpotoru

#7 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I have used awxRename for sometime now and i know it is not portable but i love it due to its ease of use. But since awxRename is not updated any longer so i am looking for a alternate for it with 64bit support.

Borea

#8 Post by Borea »

I finally moved to Windows 8.1 (x64) a couple of days ago. Before then, I had always used Windows (x32) platforms. The only utility that I am missing now is "awxRename". Over the past two days, I downloaded and tested about 100 rename software. Although there are very powerful ones among them for larger and complicated tasks, none of them come close to the handiness of the "awxRename". Furthermore, most of them are not context sensitive. (On teh other hand, I also use "ReNamer" and "Better File Rename" for complicated renaming tasks.)

Portability is not a big problem for me for "awxRename".

Does anybody know a way of installing the last version of awxRename onto the Windows 8.1 (x64) platform ? Registry modifications, perhaps?

(The author of "awxRename" does not respond.)

Thanks.

Borea

#10 Post by Borea »

Hi loin2kolpotoru,

The above link for "awxRename" does not work. I would appreciate if you could check and renew it.
Thanks

loin2kolpotoru

#11 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I have tested the download link before posting here that time it was working, but it seems you are too late to trying downloading it now the site seems to be down. And the file is not available on any other site. But i have the file if you need it desperately then pm me your yahoo mail id and i will mail it as attachment.

Borea

#12 Post by Borea »

Hi loin2kolpotoru,

Thank you very much for answering.
I have sent you my "hotmail" address via PM.
Thanks

Borea

NickR

64 bit awxRename

#13 Post by NickR »

64 bit awxRename

xsetup_awxRename_x64_0.0.5.4.b.exe

is available from the Wayback Machine

which hold archives from both arniWORLD and uni-oldenburg
and both checksum the same and UniExtract OK

MD5: 8e7225dfbbd76b18afd12d8d1822025a
SHA-1: 741dfa9656d532402f7c9dc54ce9cc7ec3fab89b
SHA-256: 567165a7944ec887718c44e948186d210270dce14dcfc6aba159ac944bf7bb58

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Another absolutely essential utility -- which, despite not being developed in ages, I use on a daily basis -- bites the dust... :cry:

loin2kolpotoru

#15 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Sent to Borea.