Mittere - add apps and folders to the Send To menu

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
dmg

Mittere - add apps and folders to the Send To menu

#1 Post by dmg »

I responded to a request on the AutoHotkey forum to create a 'drop target' for the Send To menu. The idea was add an item to the menu which would in turn add anything dropped onto it to the Send To menu. I took the idea a bit further and came up with Mittere.

Description:
Mittere (Latin, meaning "to send") lets you add applications and folders to the Send To menu, and also gives you easy access to the Send To folder to make manual changes.

Items can be added to the Send To menu in four ways:
1. Running Mittere.exe opens a gui letting you select files to add.
2. You can install an 'Add...' item to the Send To menu.
3. Groups of files can be dropped onto the gui.
4. Groups of files can be dropped onto the executable file.
Once the menu item is installed it is entirely independent from the main program. Uninstalling the menu item can be done automatically from the main application, or by manually deleting "mittere.exe" and "Add....lnk" from the Send To folder.

I am hoping to get some feedback on this app. Any suggestions for features or refinements are welcome.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jfcf9n73v41iyna

Edit 2:
I have updated the instructions and replaced the broken download link.
Last edited by dmg on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Midas

Re: Mittere (SendToSentTo 1.0.2)

#2 Post by Midas »

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade -- especially yours, my dear dmg -- but I couldn't help but to immediately recall this:
http://sendtosendto.whyeye.org/ wrote:A Windows shell extension that lets its user easily add new entries to the SendTo folder. Just mark any file, go to the SendTo folder and click on 'Add here'. Easy like that.

Of course the following info is also relevant:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sendtosendto/ wrote:As of 2011-07-30, this project is no longer under active development.

dmg

Re: Mittere - add apps and folders to the Send To menu

#3 Post by dmg »

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade...
Not to worry Midas. I had my parade water proofed long ago. :)

While I was not aware of that particular app, I was never under the impression that my program was in any way unique. To be honest, I write my apps mostly because I want to, and not necessarily because I think anyone will ever have a use for them.

I might point out that in addition to Mittere being actively developed, it is also entirely portable when used without the menu option. And as far as I can tell there are no similar apps in the database at the moment. I searched for variations on the phrase "send to" and the closest was DropIt.

If anyone has any thoughts on improving Mittere I would love to hear from you.

dmg

#4 Post by dmg »

I have made some refinements, and even created an icon! Would anyone be kind enough to take a look and post back their thoughts? 8)

donald

#5 Post by donald »

@dmg
I like this program.

Though the Open button may be misleading to some at first since unlike most
buttons labeled Open it only opens one folder the SendTo folder.

I think to make it better for the first time users that labeling the button that opens
the SendTo folder as SendTo or OpenSendTo could be less confusing.

Feature requests a way to automatically set multiple SendTo and auto revert (erase from PC) them on close,
possibly through a txt file.

dmg

#6 Post by dmg »

Thank you donald. I agree that the "Open" button could be confusing, especially since at this point it is not even mentioned in the readme file. I will work on it. :D

As to the feature request, I like it! I don't think I can see adding it to this app for several reasons but I can certainly write a new one for the job. The idea of truly portable Send To menu items is wonderful. I will add it to my 'to script' list. 8)

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Ruby

#7 Post by Ruby »

Yea, I'm digging this program; I'm constantly adding/removing items to/from the SendTo menu/folder

I noticed when an app is added, it's folder path is not added to the 'Start in:' field, as can be seen in the 'Properties' page.
Some apps may require initialization from their own path.

:: Request/Suggestion
I would really like an option to (re)name the shortcut if needed, maybe a pop-up dialog offering to accept or change shortcut name.
This would also be helpful in appending a CL Switch

How about a 'hidden' feature; e.g., if sending a program that's already in SendTo, rather than re-add it, just remove it, as a quick way to add/remove shortcuts; kind a like a 'switch' or 'toggle' I guess. :idea:

I didn't even know you could send multiple files/folders at once until I saw it in the code and then tried it.
This is a very welcome procedure. :D
The readme was/is a bit ambiguous in this regard; i.e., '...easily add applications and folders...', 'Files can be dropped', etc..
Perhaps it should read 'Multiple files can be dropped', '...add multiple apps and folders...', etc... :|

I wasn't too keen on the icon, so I created a generic one and replaced it :wink:

Anyway, Thanks dmg, Mittere is a nifty/useful little tool and has found a permanent home in my toolbox.
Looking forward to the next version; hopefully with the mods/ideas Donald and I mentioned/suggested.

~Ruby

dmg

#8 Post by dmg »

Yea, I'm digging this program...
Thank you kindly. :)
I noticed when an app is added, it's folder path is not added to the 'Start in:' field, as can be seen in the 'Properties' page.
Some apps may require initialization from their own path.
Thank you for pointing this out. I don't have much experience using shortcuts so this had not occurred to me. I guess I could have a secondary gui allowing the user to set additional options for each shortcut, but this could get a bit tedious if a large number of files were dropped at once. :shock:
I would really like an option to (re)name the shortcut if needed, maybe a pop-up dialog offering to accept or change shortcut name.
This would also be helpful in appending a CL Switch
Both of these could be taken care of with an options gui.
How about a 'hidden' feature; e.g., if sending a program that's already in SendTo, rather than re-add it, just remove it, as a quick way to add/remove shortcuts; kind a like a 'switch' or 'toggle' I guess. :idea:
I agree that a simple way to remove an item would be a good addition, but I see a couple of issues with doing it that way. I will look into it.
I didn't even know you could send multiple files/folders at once until I saw it in the code and then tried it.
This is a very welcome procedure. :D
The readme was/is a bit ambiguous in this regard; i.e., '...easily add applications and folders...', 'Files can be dropped', etc..
Perhaps it should read 'Multiple files can be dropped', '...add multiple apps and folders...', etc... :|
A definite omission from the readme. It will be fixed.
I wasn't too keen on the icon, so I created a generic one and replaced it
Good! It took me a while to come up with the icon. And while I think it is fine as the main icon I can see how it might look a little odd for the menu item. :)

Thank you for your feedback. If you think of anything else let me know. 8)

dmg

#9 Post by dmg »

Anybody have any thoughts :?:

Napiophelios

#10 Post by Napiophelios »

Well I just started using this today so I dont have any suggestions to make it better.

all I can say is this is one of those apps that provides a function that should have already
been in windows by default.

Thanks I really like it. :)

dmg

#11 Post by dmg »

Thanks I really like it
Thank you. If you do happen to think of any changes or improvements please post back. :)

dmg

#12 Post by dmg »

I have updated the original post of this thread with a new version of Mittere. Several bugs have been fixed and a few improvements have been made. Please take a look and see what you think. The download link is in the original post:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 007#p52007

Lupo73

#13 Post by Lupo73 »

Good app, I like it! I have a main feature request: you could consider to add a listview to the main gui, to manage SendTo items instead of use "Open" button to access to that folder and manually manage them. You could consider to create something like the Manage Associations window of DropIt. In this way the user could for example double-click an item to edit it, right click it to copy/remove it and in general has the full list of SendTo items immediately shown.

dmg

#14 Post by dmg »

An excellent suggestion Lupo73. I had thought about doing something like that, but I am terrible at working with the ListView control. I only have one app that uses a ListView and it took me two months to get it working. I may still implement a ListView at some point, but for now opening the Send To folder may not be very pretty but it works. :?

Thank you for looking at Mittere. If you ever have an idea for one of my apps I would be grateful to hear about it. :)

Ruby

#15 Post by Ruby »

Thanks for adding the features requested, it's coming along nice.

I was going to request the 'Open' ( SendTo folder) button to also be present in the 'Add...' dialog to manually edit/delete items; however Lupo73's suggestion is much more desirable and if it could also be added to the 'Add...' dialog as well as the main GUI would be great.

Thanks again,

~Ruby