ProEject

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
guinness

Re: ProEject

#166 Post by guinness »

4 months after starting the ProEject project I'm happy to say work is still underway for the second release. For those wondering why I haven't published a stable release as of yet is because a lot of changes have been made to the source code (just do a WinMerge comparison to see) therefore with many changes comes many new problems! Having worked very closely with spicydog and SYSTEM in the last week or so, I'm please to say that most of these problems are starting to become less and less so expect a new beta release in the next couple of days.

Edit: Grammar mistakes!

webfork

#167 Post by webfork »

Thanks for your work on helping solve this huge windows annoyance.

Here's my contribution: http://memegenerator.net/instance/10536710

guinness

#168 Post by guinness »

Thanks webfork, I needed a laugh :)

guinness

#169 Post by guinness »

ProEject V1.1.20.40 (Beta)
I'm nearing completion to the second stable release of ProEject, but before I do here is a beta version which has been tested intensively by spicydog, who was the first to bring to my attention the problem with multiple partitions on a USB drive back in V1.0.0.0. Thanks.

Updates:
- ADDED: 10 tries for ejection instead of the previous 3.
- FIXED: Issue with GUI freezing when minimising to the system tray. (Thanks to SYSTEM)
- IMPROVED: Closing of explorer windows. (Thanks to spicydog for testing.)
- IMPROVED: The handling of closing processes and windows handles.

guinness

#170 Post by guinness »

The stable version of ProEject will be coming 1st November 2011 after 3 months of coding, re-coding and testing. :D

I've uploaded a new version of ProEject V1.1.20.40 (Beta) but without a version change, the only difference is an increase in speed with the popup boxes, but I felt it was worth uploading.

If you want to update your language file then just let me know. :) I'm reluctant to email the original authors as I feel if you want to update then you shouldn't feel pressure to do so.

webfork

#171 Post by webfork »

I'm currently testing the Oct 11th version you posted. Seems good so far.

guinness

#172 Post by guinness »

I'm currently testing the Oct 11th version you posted. Seems good so far.
Brilliant! That's what I like to hear ;)

I have some good news and then some bad news which I will be releasing to the public in the next couple of days.

guinness

#173 Post by guinness »

OK, so the deal is ProEject won't be coming out tomorrow. I've decided that I really want to make the next ProEject a lot more stable, including new features. Therefore I will look towards a December release, call it a nice Christmas present if you will.

This is just me, but I feel the less small frequent updates the better.
Last edited by guinness on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#174 Post by webfork »

Some suggestions:
  1. The listing of drive name, not just the letter. Everytime I connect a few drives, I always get confused and have to open "My Computer" to find which is which. I do like how you set up a minimalistic so maybe the name pops up when you hover your mouse over it?
  2. Ability to set it up so there are very few things you have to press to make it dump external drives connected to the computer. Maybe a command line switch that basically only prompts to ask "are you sure"? This is important because sometimes I need to just close up my laptop and go, and I want everything disconnected *now*.
  3. Ability to exclude TrueCrypt / FreeOTFE volumes from #2. I know there's an "exclude" menu, but I'm not clear on how to use that.
  4. Could use a help menu for a little more background. For example, what does the Exclusions screen do? I click "+" and there's just an empty box. What does unchecking the "Run ProEject in GUI mode" do? What are SUBST drives?
  5. Refresh issue: I opened the program, right-clicked on a drive, ejected it, and pulled out the drive, but it still shows up in the ProEject window. Should refresh or something to remove that drive (and of course then reappear if you plug it back in).
Disclaimer: My setup is a XP SP3 under VMware Fusion on a Mac. I realize that this is a unique setup, but I've run into very few instances where it acted any different from a normal XP installation.

Edit: Be happy to help with writing a help file if you do think that #4 is worth your time.

guinness

#175 Post by guinness »

The listing of drive name, not just the letter. Everytime I connect a few drives, I always get confused and have to open "My Computer" to find which is which. I do like how you set up a minimalistic so maybe the name pops up when you hover your mouse over it?
Currently added in the Beta. If you go to Settings >> Preferences >> Show additional information in the GUI.
Ability to set it up so there are very few things you have to press to make it dump external drives connected to the computer. Maybe a command line switch that basically only prompts to ask "are you sure"? This is important because sometimes I need to just close up my laptop and go, and I want everything disconnected *now*.
OK, something along the lines of creating a batch file and ProEject.exe /EjectAll?
Ability to exclude TrueCrypt / FreeOTFE volumes from #2. I know there's an "exclude" menu, but I'm not clear on how to use that.
The exclude is for programs only e.g. Opera.exe, Chrome.exe. I will add an option to ignore TrueCrypt volumes but not if the TrueCrypt volume if running from the drive you're ejecting :)
Could use a help menu for a little more background. For example, what does the Exclusions screen do? I click "+" and there's just an empty box. What does unchecking the "Run ProEject in GUI mode" do? What are SUBST drives?
SUBST is part of Windows where you can associate a drive letter to a folder and 'Run ProEject is GUI mode' is where the GUI is displayed rather than just eject the drive ProEject is running from. Honestly I'm a coder first and help file maintainer second :) I admit it's on my to do list but it's something I need to sit down and really think about, since I know how ProEject works so I expect everyone just to pick it up.

I would love it if you would help me with this, but please don't think for one second I'm expecting you to. :)
Refresh issue: I opened the program, right-clicked on a drive, ejected it, and pulled out the drive, but it still shows up in the ProEject window. Should refresh or something to remove that drive (and of course then reappear if you plug it back in).
What version are you using? As this issue should be fixed in the latest beta.

Thanks webfork, some nice ideas that I can start implementing for the second stable release of ProEject, which will be arriving when the new AutoIt is released. :D

webfork

#176 Post by webfork »

Currently added in the Beta. If you go to Settings >> Preferences >> Show additional information in the GUI.
Gotcha -- will test.
OK, something along the lines of creating a batch file and ProEject.exe /EjectAll?
Yeah I just now saw the Readme file. My bad.
The exclude is for programs only e.g. Opera.exe, Chrome.exe. I will add an option to ignore TrueCrypt volumes but not if the TrueCrypt volume if running from the drive you're ejecting :)
Sounds good.
I admit it's on my to do list but it's something I need to sit down and really think about, since I know how ProEject works so I expect everyone just to pick it up.

I would love it if you would help me with this, but please don't think for one second I'm expecting you to. :)
Be glad to help out. I'll put something together for that in the next few days.
What version are you using? As this issue should be fixed in the latest beta.
According to the Readme, its 1.0.0.0. Could you put the version number in the About tab? I'll download and retest the beta version.
Thanks webfork, some nice ideas that I can start implementing for the second stable release of ProEject, which will be arriving when the new AutoIt is released. :D
Glad to help out.

guinness

#177 Post by guinness »

Brilliant :)
According to the Readme, its 1.0.0.0. Could you put the version number in the About tab? I'll download and retest the beta version.
Will do.

webfork

#178 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:
Gotcha -- will test.
Verified.
Tested -- works well. Good work.
webfork wrote:
I admit it's on my to do list but it's something I need to sit down and really think about, since I know how ProEject works so I expect everyone just to pick it up.

Got a shared Google Doc up so you can see the progress. Right now its sorta in a basic outline format. If anyone wants write access, just ask.

guinness

#179 Post by guinness »

Wow that is looking a lot more detailed than the ReadMe text file I provide. I will have a look tomorrow over the content and send you a PM with additions as well as access. Thanks webfork.

Also there is no deadline right now as the /EjectAll feature requires an entire re-write of the _Main() function so this will take me a while at best ;)

webfork

#180 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Got a shared Google Doc up so you can see the progress.
There are a long list of implicit questions in the writing of this including:
  • What are the various methods of contacting you?
  • How does someone donate to you (do you want to accept donations or even mess with that?)
  • Does anyone else belong on the credits list? Maybe something about the AutoIt creators? Folks here on the forums?
  • What questions about the program are you frequently asked (if any)?
On a side note, I'm looking into video help stuff because I sorta prefer that. I'll use it in addition to the help tool.