ProEject

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
guinness

Re: ProEject

#211 Post by guinness »

I forgot to mention I will be adding the new feature that will detect when the system is shutting down, which was a feature request by joby_toss'.

webfork

#212 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:You tell me what you want :D
This may not be an issue, but its something that occurred to me:

I talked to a guy who worked for Hitatchi and he said that most (if not all) hard drives have a capacitor so if you just yank out a hard disk, the device will automatically dock the needle so it doesn't hurt the disk if you happen to drop it. However, I remain sort of concerned that when you absolutely NEED to yank the drive (emergencies, important meeting, simple frustration) that you might see some data loss.

Some function to eject all external drives immediately would be cool. I know there's a command-line function for that, but I'd like to see that in the main window somehow.

guinness

#213 Post by guinness »

Cool, I can add a small but not obtrusive button to the UI.

guinness

#214 Post by guinness »

In my haste I realised I made a mistake to the post in which I said 'this' weekend when in-actual fact I meant next weekend. Unless you want me to rush the next beta and put out a broken product :D

guinness

#215 Post by guinness »

Apologies for not releasing a new beta this weekend with the improvements I mentioned above, but time got the better of me. I do have some massive improvements for the future, one of which is a complete re-design of the language UDF, it now uses...well you'll see :mrgreen:

guinness

#216 Post by guinness »

I rarely ask for Help on TPFC as I never like to be a burden on people, this is why development of ProEject is a little slow compared to other projects on here. But I'm kindly asking for anyone who has knowledge of HTML/CSS to perhaps help me improve the output of the HTML exporting function** I will be using in ProEject. Discussion of payment is also up for discussion.

**I'm currently using an old style from DropIt that Lupo73 gave me permission to use.

Lupo73

#217 Post by Lupo73 »

I can help you with it.. tproli and me have made a good improvement to create HTML lists in DropIt :wink:

guinness

#218 Post by guinness »

Thanks, I'll discuss the terms via PM.

guinness

#219 Post by guinness »

So I sent Lupo73 a PM and he suggested that I use a theme from DropIt, but I explained that I didn't think it would be fair to just 'take' all that hard him and tproli had put into them & that I didn't want to take their time up with ProEject. So my offer is still out there. Thanks.

I am Baas

#220 Post by I am Baas »

webfork

#221 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:So I sent Lupo73 a PM and he suggested that I use a theme from DropIt, but I explained that I didn't think it would be fair to just 'take' all that hard him and tproli had put into them & that I didn't want to take their time up with ProEject. So my offer is still out there. Thanks.
Take their hard work you mean?

My understanding is that the point of the GPL (according to Eric S. Raymond) is to avoid repeating things. He referenced a brother in law or some person who had to write every program he did for a company from scratch and it took months, sometimes years to complete. That old way of coding involved a whole lot of repeat work. With open code, you do something once or just use something someone else has put together with the expectation (enforced by a share-and-share-alike license) that someone's going to take your work and use it elsewhere also. As I think Issac Newton said, stand on the shoulders of geniuses.

guinness

#222 Post by guinness »

I understand, but I suppose I just enjoy giving things a go and improving my knowledge :)

Thanks for the link I am Baas.

guinness

#223 Post by guinness »

dany,

Did you manage to complete the UDF? In the meantime I created a Language UDF which was 200% faster than using the 'read from an INI' approach and using the same amount of memory (surprisingly!)

guinness

#224 Post by guinness »

Anyone speak German or care to advise on what is happening there? Thanks >> http://www.pcwelt.de/tipps/Tipps-Tricks ... 38833.html

Lupo73

#225 Post by Lupo73 »

You can read it using Google translator: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 38833.html

The fact is that the user (in comments) tells about a green button that I cannot see in your website..