DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
CAGLESWORTH

Re: DropIt

#1516 Post by CAGLESWORTH »

Brand new to Drop It, but I'm loving it so far. I have a problem I'm trying to solve at work, and I think Drop It can fix it, but I have no idea how to do it. When I say "I don't know" I mean I'm aware that .bat files exist, and I googled enough to end up with Drop It, but I don't know anything about anything. I can't write scripts, but I'm good at following directions. Copying scripts from the internet is fine, but editing the scripts to do the exact thing I need is tough, as I don't really understand what I'm looking at (I mean, I DO, but not in a way that's helpful). I have so far downloaded File Watcher and made a daemon with a copied-from-the-internet .bat executable, with limited results, then found Drop It on a thread about powershell folder monitoring. Here's what I'm trying to do, and I think it's something I can automate, and I've automated parts, but...

I have a folder that has .zip files dropped into it automatically from my gmail (via Zapier, another googling find).
I need to watch this folder, and every time a new zip file is dropped in (or every minute), I need it to extract into it's component pdfs (I've managed this with Drop It, though I then have a folder full of pdfs, that are no longer grouped by .zip)
THEN, I need to combine the (two) pdfs of the zip file into one pdf.
THEN, I need to rename the pdf (I think this part will have to be manual, as the name has to be copied from the subject of the original email)
THEN, I need to go to a folder on the server that already exists (unless it doesn't, then it needs to be created, named after the first two digits in the combined pdf file name), and
THEN create a sub folder whose name is the whole name of the pdf, and
THEN, drop the combined, renamed file into the new subfolder.
THEN, draft an email with the pdf as an attachment, and the server file path in the body of the email (I assume this part would be manual too).

This entire process is long, complicated, tedious, and repetitive. Can anyone walk me through what to do, what's possible, and how to do it?

Badthumbs

#1517 Post by Badthumbs »

hello i've been reading all day if i can sort by file size with dropit and i can't find a yes or no anywhere....

actually i just want files to be copied to my destination folder and if this file exists it checks if the new file is bigger than the existing...
if yes -> overwrite old file
if no -> delete new file

is this even possible with dropit?!?

webfork

#1518 Post by webfork »

CAGLESWORTH wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 am This entire process is long, complicated, tedious, and repetitive. Can anyone walk me through what to do, what's possible, and how to do it?
I actually wouldn't try to solve this using DropIt, I'd go for a batch function with the following command line tools. Just paste the commands into a text file and then rename it .BAT and launch. It'll run many of those functions instantly.
  • I'd wait until I had a dozen or so files to update and then I'd paste all those subjects into a spreadsheet.
  • You can auto-extract the zips using 7zip's CLI program: https://7ziphelp.com/7zip-command-line
  • Combine PDFs - look into something like PDFBox http://www.pdfbox.org/
  • Sort by date (so they appear in the order downloaded) and then use a macro program like MouseRecoder https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2726 to copy and paste the correct file names from the spreadsheet into the entry (press F2 to rename, down-arrow to go to the next item, repeat).
  • You can modify that same spreadsheet with the names you want to modify (literally create a column with "rename" to change filenames with extra characters and another column with "mkdir" to make directories).
I started out doing processes like this to avoid losing my mind on a super dull posting process and it ended up becoming my favorite part of the job. You can even get MORE fancy and provide more value with a program like FileOptimizer https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2377 and further compress the PDFs before posting them.

I can go into a bit more detail here if that's interesting.

james8847

#1519 Post by james8847 »

hi first of all i love this app, i have been using it for years

i have been moving files and works great, i have just tried the extract feature but i am having a few issues

here is an example of the scructure i am working with

Folder>

xxxxxxxxx.part01.rar
xxxxxxxxx.part02.rar
xxxxxxxxx.part03.rar
xxxxxxxxx.part04.rar
xxxxxxxxx.part05.rar

i have set dropit to monitor the folder and i have tried multi associations, but i always get the same result, it extracts the first rar ( like i want it to) and moves the media file to the desinated dir but then it gives me a error for the rest of the .rars, and will not delete them like it does with the first rar it extracted

any help would be much appreciated

my goal is for it to extract the first rar and move the media file, then delete all .rars in that folder with no errors

Manfi

Re: DropIt, Move split files (.7z.001, .7z.002 to .7z.999)

#1520 Post by Manfi »

Hi

I am new to DropIt and want to transfer archives in the Extractor profile.
How can I move split files, i.e. .7z.001, .7z.002 to .7z.999 files for example, without having to enter 999 rules?

Many thanks for the help.
Manfi

webfork

#1521 Post by webfork »

Manfi wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:06 am How can I move split files, i.e. .7z.001, .7z.002 to .7z.999 files for example, without having to enter 999 rules?
You might try a DropIt alternative program called File Punter. With it, you can set a rule to grab *.7z.* and move them to another folder. If you're familiar with Regular Expressions, you can get even more specific.

Manfi

#1522 Post by Manfi »

webfork wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:58 pm
Manfi wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:06 am How can I move split files, i.e. .7z.001, .7z.002 to .7z.999 files for example, without having to enter 999 rules?
You might try a DropIt alternative program called File Punter. With it, you can set a rule to grab *.7z.* and move them to another folder. If you're familiar with Regular Expressions, you can get even more specific.
Thank you Webfork for the quick help. I'll have a look at "File Punter", it might be a simple alternative.

ccigas

#1523 Post by ccigas »

Hello, I have been using DropIt for a few months now but after installing on a new PC, for the life of me I cannot keep the file structure when copy files over. The program keeps copying all files in the monitored directory, whether it is in a subdir or not and copies it to the destination directory. I want to keep the sub directories through out this whole process.

My destination directory right now is pretty lengthy since I want to send to a specific directory in a network drive. S:\Files\BackUps\KERRYXPS\Even Newer Work Files
My source directory is C:\Cat4\usr\Kerry Desktop.

I have DropIt right now copying everything using *;** in the hopes I would get the sub directories and all the sub sub dirs but I keep just getting all files in the main dir without it copying any file structure.

How would I keep the file structure here?

The source dir has a ton of directories and even more files in those directories that I want to copy over keeping the file structure, I was hoping it would copy all without needing to do multiple associations for it.

Thanks for the help!

GeyerX

#1524 Post by GeyerX »

Good evening :-)

I have one question: Is there a way to start Dropit later after system boot?
I sync a folder which contains files from "one drive". When system boot it took some time before the new files are completely downloaded so there are error messages from dropit.
If Dropit would start later (1-2 minutes) I think there would be no error because in the meantime all files are ready to work with....

So if you have an idea how I could manage to start the activity later I would be happy please...

Thank you :-)

hamasaki

#1525 Post by hamasaki »

GeyerX wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:58 am Good evening :-)

I have one question: Is there a way to start Dropit later after system boot?
I sync a folder which contains files from "one drive". When system boot it took some time before the new files are completely downloaded so there are error messages from dropit.
If Dropit would start later (1-2 minutes) I think there would be no error because in the meantime all files are ready to work with....

So if you have an idea how I could manage to start the activity later I would be happy please...

Thank you :-)
DropIt has command line functions, so you can just trigger a bat/batch file with a task scheduler when you need to run the dropit command.

DropIt.exe -Profile_to_run

walhalla

#1526 Post by walhalla »

Hi,
I'm really getting crazy trying to exclude / ignore all subfolders. Want to "archive" files from folder "download" (images, videos, several filetypes in separate folders on a backup-disk. It works so far. But in my download folders are lots of subfolders and they (or files in all of them) schould NOT be moved. So, can anyone help tell me how to exclude all subfolders of a folder which should be processed? Tried nearly everything in the filters (folders) like "**" -> ignore but doesnt work. Whatever I tried, everytime all images, videos, ... files in subfolders were moved too.

Thanks so much for your help! Cheers Walhalla

stillstegr

#1527 Post by stillstegr »

Hi there,

I usually grab some pictures from internet and since they are downloaded and divided into different folders, what I want to do is to :

1. Rename those folders by adding a specific prefix (by other softwares)
2. Using Dropit to move the pictures from those renamed folders (only the pictures inside, not the whole folder)

e.g.:
#prefixA - FolderA\IMG_7521.png
#prefixA - FolderA\IMG_7522.png
#prefixA - FolderA\IMG_7523.png
#prefixA - FolderB\IMG_7524.jpg
#prefixA - FolderB\IMG_7525.jpg
#prefixA - FolderB\IMG_7526.jpg

Expected result: moving IMG_7521-7526 (png and jpg) to destination folder

However, since I found that the general rules of associations can be only applied on files or folders, plus I have no knowledge on regex, can anyone help me to set this rules?

hamasaki

#1528 Post by hamasaki »

DropIt is awesome, but it does appear to contain a serious bug:

If you copy multiple folders to another folder (eg: backup) and one of the source folders files is in use by Windows the software fails on that copy and wipes almost everything from the source directory. This is easy to replicate and has happened several times now. Worth mentioning. Shame the software will have no more updates.

speedamaster

#1529 Post by speedamaster »

is there a way to combine multiple actions on one hit?

eg. scanning in downloads folder, in case a match: print - rename - move

looks like a great SW (even no longer maintained) but still works!

bob4u

#1530 Post by bob4u »

I created task in which I monitored one folder, and if in this folder appears a file with correct name, the file is sended to me by email.
This task is ok, but in the mail I have two attachements - the same file but two times added to email.
What is wrong? Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

In the monitored folder I have only one file.