Too many notes...

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
appsuser

Too many notes...

#1 Post by appsuser »

If anyone's interested in developing a new program that seems to have not been done yet, a Notes Converter would be extremely useful. There are many different ways to save notes on the internet, online and offline, but moving notes between applications is not always easy, although some applications do provide some import/export functionality. It's just there are too many different note-taking applications out there, and if I want to start using a different one, for whatever reason (moving offline to online, need more features, etc.) it's not always that easy to convert and migrate my old notes to the new system. Personally, I would like to have the ability to convert between Evernote, Google Keep, Microsoft OneNote, QNAP Notes Station, and Nextcloud/Owncloud Notes. I'm sure others would have additional applications they are interested in for notes conversion.

On a similar note, I think it's time someone developed an open standard for internet note files, as the *big boys* seem to have forgotten how to do this sort of thing, which makes the internet more enjoyable and inclusive for everyone.

Midas

Re: Too many notes...

#2 Post by Midas »

appsuser wrote: I think it's time someone developed an open standard for internet note files, as the *big boys* seem to have forgotten how to do this sort of thing, which makes the internet more enjoyable and inclusive for everyone.
I think that is exactly what OPML was initially intended for, opinions on its success notwithstanding...
OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language) is an XML format for outlines (defined as "a tree, where each node contains a set of named attributes with string values").

bitcoin

#3 Post by bitcoin »

Midas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:40 amI think that is exactly what OPML was initially intended for, opinions on its success notwithstanding...
only thing i've noticed OPML used for is gPodder exports its list of your subscribed podcasts in that form

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

You might suggest something over at donationcoder and see if someone's willing to put together a program that tries to address this issue. You're certainly not the first that's run into this issue.

publicdomainvic

#5 Post by publicdomainvic »

Hi guys! Has such a solution been developed?

I'm open to do this app, at least starting with a couple formats then expanding :)

(Up to ending-up scraping undocumented binary data)

Cheers!

h3kt0r

#6 Post by h3kt0r »

Another solution would be to completely drop applications that uses a proprietary filetype.
I usually take plain text notes in software like "Jot+ Notes" (it's freeware now), "TexNotes" or "StackNotes" (open source).
Then, whenever i need to embed pictures or capture some webpage, i use "MyBase", "SurfUlater" or "ClipCache". (These are sharewares)

This way i can work with 2 reliable and open filetypes : "TXT" and "HTML".
This works for me...

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

>> a Notes Converter would be extremely useful

> Has such a solution been developed?

At least manually (no automatic solution yet) I've had a lot of luck with Zettlr's program to import from basically any source into Markdown and then to HTML or other Markdown tools. It's already saved me 20 hours of work messing with tags and formats and other BS.

If I was to develop something on this front, I'd probably start with the excellent Pandoc.