Newbie wondering about path portability

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
dmg

Newbie wondering about path portability

#1 Post by dmg »

I have just started playing around with JauntePE and I have run into an issue with file paths. I keep ending up with absolute paths, which cause the launcher to break when I try to use it anywhere except in the creation directory. I looked through the .INI files for my launchers and they do not appear to list the path. Can someone point me in the right direction to understand this? Thank you kindly. :)

ComputerIdiot

Re: Newbie wondering about path portability

#2 Post by ComputerIdiot »

Hi dmg, which version of JPE are you using (v0.3, v0.5, v0.5.2 or v0.6)? And also which OS are you running it on?

AFAIK, v0.6 isn't ready yet, but it is supposed to work under Vista\Win7. v0.5.x or before works under XP but it might works partially under Vista\Win7 (I might be wrong here). So, it might be important for you to post the above information here, as well as the name of the program you are trying to portablized first, before the experts can help you. I hope crownixx will see this post soon, because he is the most qualified person(beside Redllar) to help you.

dmg

#3 Post by dmg »

Thanks.

I am running the current 06 "nightly" build on XP SP2.

As far as I can tell it is making my apps stealth but not portable. Meaning the apps don't touch the registry or file system but if I try to move them to another location the launcher cannot find the exe. And yes, I am keeping all files from the app and the launcher together in the same directory structure relative to each other.

crownixx

#4 Post by crownixx »

dmg wrote:I keep ending up with absolute paths, which cause the launcher to break when I try to use it anywhere except in the creation directory.
First, how do you create your launcher? In v0.6 GUI, supposedly you should create it by click ADD > App > In-Package App > Select the executable. The GUI will handle the path and convert it automatically into the relative path. An exception for the Installer Launcher as the path is store as an absolute path.
dmg wrote:I looked through the .INI files for my launchers and they do not appear to list the path.
In latest v0.6 JauntePE GUI, has separate the Launch settings with the runtime settings. JauntePE_jauntePE.ini inside the JPE folder is now contains the runtime settings. The Launch settings in the other hand is stored in the Launcher executable. Via JPE GUI, you can see the path value by bringing up the Launcher Tab on the right side. To edit some of the Launch settings, right-click on the launcher on the Left Panel > Settings...

Alternatively, you can also view/edit the Launch settings if you open the launcher executable using Reshacker, then drop down the RCData > 2 > 1033
ComputerIdiot wrote:AFAIK, v0.6 isn't ready yet
IMO, it is much better than v0.5 as of now. You should give it try

dmg

#5 Post by dmg »

I can only assume I am not understanding something important. First, to answer your question, I have been using the wizard to create my launchers. I have played around with other aspects of the GUI but could not make much sense out of it.

A note: IMHO it is a design error to move the path from the .ini to the .exe. It makes more sense for the user to be able to access and modify things like that after the launcher has been created.

Thank you for your help crownixx. I will continue to work on it. 8)