Total commander

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Devildevilira

Total commander

#1 Post by Devildevilira »

I made a portable total cmdr 7.56a using jauntepe. It works fine,yet im thinking of posting/submitting it here for the reason that:
1. I want to test run it if it will work w/ others and all functions work.
2. I wish to test if it will work on vista and windows7.
For this reason, will you allow me to submit it?

I am Baas

Re: Total commander

#2 Post by I am Baas »

The Portable Freeware Collection

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

But you can post (just) your JPE launcher here.

lyx

#4 Post by lyx »

I never really understood those virtualized versions of total commander. It has native support for storing settings in the app-dir, does not use the registry and even has special variables like %COMMANDER_PATH% and %COMMANDER_DRIVE% to create portable relative file associations. Why virtualize it?

Checker

#5 Post by Checker »

There are already some portable versions of "Total commander" available on some appz-sites (I won't post links here, but google will help you :wink: ).
But I totally agree with I am Baas:
I am Baas wrote:The Portable Freeware Collection
and joby_toss:
joby_toss wrote:But you can post (just) your JPE launcher here.

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

Checker wrote:There are already some portable versions of "Total commander" available on some appz-sites (I won't post links here, but google will help you :wink: ).
But I totally agree with I am Baas:
I am Baas wrote:The Portable Freeware Collection
and joby_toss:
joby_toss wrote:But you can post (just) your JPE launcher here.
TC is portable by itself and crapware free. I'm not so sure about such appz versions.

Devildevilira

#7 Post by Devildevilira »

So ok. The only thing i know to have portable total cmdr is via u3 stick. If tc is portable by itself, w/out virtualization, how could it be done? Im not a techie person, yet trying to learn. Testing a lot. Thats why i did it. Anyway, thxs. Realy want to learn how to make portable apps.

lyx

#8 Post by lyx »

http://ghisler.com/usbinst.htm

The only catch is plugins and fileassociations. For *some* plugins, it may be necessary to manually edit the total commander ini file, and turn the absolute path of the plugin into a relative path. For fileassociations, one just needs to manually enter the relative path, when asked for a path.

Everything else is pretty much portable out of the box. What the usb-tool above does, mostly is just stuff that the user could do himself anyways: When first installing TC, one is asked where to store the ini file -> app dir of course. Then just copy the TC dir whereever one wants. The USBTool is just there to do this after the fact: If during install, one did choose to store the ini elsewhere, the USBTool will undo this decision.

infimum

#9 Post by infimum »

Folks, use your personal messages. This is a freeware section.

webfork: please move this to the appropriate section.

Devildevilira

#10 Post by Devildevilira »

Thx,anyway. Im sory. I did posted here something nonfreeware thing. I forgot. Anyways, visiting forums here teach me a lot. I think this topic should end up here.