Feedback needed for new JauntePE 0.5.0 GUI

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

Re: Feedback needed for new JauntePE 0.5.0 GUI

#31 Post by crownixx »

Now, i would like to continue explaining for the next wizard GUI.
The GUI above is self-explanatory. By default the skip build process check-box is not checked. The check-box is for the Advanced users, providing them option to end wizard so they can continue the working process in the Main GUI

crownixx

#32 Post by crownixx »

If check-box in GUI no 6 is not checked, then the next wizard will be the following:
In this wizard, the input GUI will be mostly as the same as JPE Quickie Package Up GUI. Package Name and Package Location will be high level options presented. They might be sufficient enough for most of the user, IMO. Other options available in the JPE Quickie Package Up GUI will be presented in the Advanced Package Settings pop up GUI

Once building done, there will be an option for user to open the package directory in explorer before the wizard completely end.

freakazoid

#33 Post by freakazoid »

I'm loving the new Thinapp-like interface! Especially the access step!
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 478#p29478
is it stealth? ;)

crownixx

#34 Post by crownixx »

freakazoid wrote:I'm loving the new Thinapp-like interface! Especially the access step!
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 478#p29478
You caught me :mrgreen:
It shows that jpe can be possibly made easy to use just like those expensive app

Anyway, below is the main gui picture by redllar, with explanation. He want to mimic the way of working just like you use Microsoft Office or Open Office. The package is analogy to doc file. When you edit the "file", the changes is at temporary state until you click the save button or save as button.

freakazoid

#35 Post by freakazoid »

One thing I'd like to know is in the new GUI, do we still have to fiddle around with every option of the program we want to make portable?

What I mean is do we have to "exercise" the program as seen in the flash tutorial?
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/jpe/tutorial1.htm
is it stealth? ;)

crownixx

#36 Post by crownixx »

freakazoid wrote:One thing I'd like to know is in the new GUI, do we still have to fiddle around with every option of the program we want to make portable?

What I mean is do we have to "exercise" the program as seen in the flash tutorial?
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/jpe/tutorial1.htm
I think the new GUI still have the "exercise" step as part of the portablizing process. I prefer it to be included as shown in my wizard GUI no 3. It can be made as an optional or can be skip during the portablizing process, if we want it to be that way.

But be sure if you want to skip the "exercise" step just to save amount of energy and time, you are then willing to lose a feature to auto-suggest optimize configuration (partially optimized, fully optimized). This feature is available in JPE Quickie.

Below i quote from jpe readme that related to the "exercise" step
The general idea behind these "exercising" steps is that you want to cause the application to create and store as much of its registry and file system data as possible. Doing so now will help you later when you first attempt to run the packaged application on its own, under another account or on another machine.
It will also help JPE Quickie determine if any of the work you did with the application caused it to behave in a non-portable manner that the JauntePE runtime was not able to redirect into the portable registry and/or portable file system. You will then be able to rectify the problem prior to using it elsewhere.
And it will also help JPE Quickie later if and when you decide to create an optimized application package.
JPE Quickie created partially optimized packages are ones that attempt to safely minimize the amount of impact the JauntePE runtime has on a portablized running application. This is accomplished by analyzing the previously generated discovery data. The analysis results in a generation of configuration settings and lists so that only the necessary application-to-system calls are fully processed by the JauntePE runtime.