Tester needed for running jpe app in Vista and Win7

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

Tester needed for running jpe app in Vista and Win7

#1 Post by crownixx »

Last year, i did run test several app on VM Vista and came with conclusion below:
  • Registry redirection will failed if the app is not compressed with exe packer
  • File system redirection work fine except one issue: A common dialog box doesn’t show up
Recently, i did a test on Windows 7 and surprisingly all the issues above goes away. I already delete the previous VM Vista so created new one. I run test again the apps and all the issues also go away except for the Common dialog box issue. Right now I’m really confused… The previous conclusion seems to be not valid anymore.

So guys, pleaseee… I really need some feedback to confirm on these issues whoever has a Vista OS or Windows 7

I created an app called JPETest.exe just for the purpose of this testing. It was built using AutoIT. It only does the followings:
  • Save its position at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JPETest after the app exit
  • One button that will initiate the Open Dialog Box
  • One button to create an empty JPETest.txt in %ProgramFiles% folder
I also include the .au3 source code in case you don’t believe what the app does

Download the archive below.
JPETest Portable.zip

It contain with 2 separate packages:
  • Package A will be using standard Normal3 configuration settings. The executable is not compressed
  • Package B will be using an optimize configuration settings. The executable is UPX compressed
Do the test run for both packages and answer the Questions below. I include a Readme.doc which contain procedures so that you can answer the question.
  • Q1: Did JPE redirect registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JPETest into the portable registry?
  • Q2: Did Open Dialog Box appear and working on JPE?
  • Q3: Did JPE redirect JPETest.txt file into the portable filesystem?
Hope to gets some of feedback from you guys. Thanks…

joby_toss

Re: Tester needed for running jpe app in Vista and Win7

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I use Win7x64Ultimate, so I got this error:

I replaced the launcher you provided with Redllar's 64bit version and I could go on with the test.

Long story short: "Yes" is the answer to all the 6 questions.

-.-

#3 Post by -.- »

didnt work on vista x86 for me :S

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Why? What exactly didn't work? What errors did you get?

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

joby_toss wrote:I use Win7x64Ultimate, so I got this error:

I replaced the launcher you provided with Redllar's 64bit version and I could go on with the test.

Long story short: "Yes" is the answer to all the 6 questions.
We can say JPE is also work on your Win7. So the testing x64 launcher did work too? This is double great news
-.- wrote:didnt work on vista x86 for me :S
-.-
I was hoping your feedback to be more detail. I know in previous post you have Vista on your machine and i really hope you could do this exercise. Have you download the JPETest Portable?

Anyways, this is my test result
Q1: Did JPE redirect registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JPETest into the portable registry?
A1: Yes for Package A and Package B

Q2: Did Open Dialog Box appear and working on JPE?
A2: No for Package A. Yes for Package B

Q3: Did JPE redirect JPETest.txt file into the portable filesystem?
A3: Yes for Package A and Package B

Q1: Did JPE redirect registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JPETest into the portable registry?
A1: Yes for Package A and Package B

Q2: Did Open Dialog Box appear and working on JPE?
A2: Yes for Package A and Package B

Q3: Did JPE redirect JPETest.txt file into the portable filesystem?
A3: Yes for Package A and Package B

-.-

#6 Post by -.- »

let me try this again, I'll try to post more info :S

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

Did I miss something? Where can you get the x64 version from? I look on the Unofficial site with a disclaimer stating it didn't work. Is this project alive again? :)

Ruby

#8 Post by Ruby »

Vista SP2 x86

Package A fails on open dialog. :(

Ruby

#9 Post by Ruby »

I decompressed JPETest.exe in Package B>JPE>ProgramFiles and everything worked. :?

I then compared the two directories in BeyondCompare; the jauntePE.ini's didn't match,

so I copied the ini from B over to A and all tests pass now both compressed and uncompressed!

-.-

#10 Post by -.- »

I had same results as Ruby.

A didn't open dialog but redirection seemed to work
B all of it worked

crownixx

#11 Post by crownixx »

guinness wrote:Did I miss something? Where can you get the x64 version from? I look on the Unofficial site with a disclaimer stating it didn't work. Is this project alive again? :)
There is no x64 version of JauntePE. But redllar did release one experiment of 32bit launcher that could inject 32bit dll into a 32 bit app when running on a 64 bit version of Windows. It was JPEPortable WOW64 TestV1.zip and you can download it here. I should add note in my frontpage disclaimer telling the existence of this launcher.

Ruby wrote:Vista SP2 x86

Package A fails on open dialog. :(
-.- wrote:I had same results as Ruby.

A didn't open dialog but redirection seemed to work
B all of it worked
I am expecting on these result. Thanks for the feedback guys. I should rewrote back my workaround for vista tutorial as Issue 1 is not valid anymore.

Ruby

#12 Post by Ruby »

@crownixx

Did you read my second post?; I had both A and B working compressed and uncompressed.

The JPETest_jauntePE.ini in Package A was different from Package B; B contains the HKCU Key in [RegistryInclude]
that your writing to and A does not.

Another thing that could cause a problem is, if a program writes to HKLM as NON ADMIN it gets virtualized
to the VirtualStore MACHINE key in HKCU:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE
Nothing gets written to HKLM.

The program then acts as though it is running from HKLM when in fact it's reading/writing to the VirtualStore.

An example and possible test program would be TeamViewer.

It may be possible to add the VirtualStore key that it writes to the [RegistryInclude].

crownixx

#13 Post by crownixx »

Sorry for not giving comment on your second post. Yes I create the packages different intentionally as what I told in the first post
crownixx wrote:It contain with 2 separate packages:

* Package A will be using standard Normal3 configuration settings. The executable is not compressed
* Package B will be using an optimize configuration settings. The executable is UPX compressed
The test result already proves us the registry redirection works regardless the executable is compressed or uncompressed.

It also shows that File Open Dialog issue only happen in Vista but not in Windows 7. The issue can be solve using optimized configuration i.e by redirect ONLY the necessary registry.

As for the virtualization introduced in Vista, they call it FARV i suppose. I'll try to find out if it could give impact to the JPE app