JPE Quickie ignores valid installer

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
fred

JPE Quickie ignores valid installer

#1 Post by fred »

Stuck at the first hurdle!

I am running JPE on Win98SE. The system drives are mostly whole partition encrypted. The exception is the rather small drive that contains the operating system and a very few other things that cause Windows to throw its toys out of the pram if it can't find them instantly it wakes up! As with most disk encryption programs, mine presents the decrypted contents as a redirected network drive.

I started JPE Quickie up. It wouldn't even open the File Open dialogue. Dragging the installer file onto the window and dropping it there caused it to show the file name on the display. But pressing the run button brought up an error message that it is not a Win32 installer. Inno Setup is!

At this point I read the help file, and amongst the Known Limitations section came across the incompatibility problems with other redirects.

So my questions for the more knowledgeable are:
1. Have I actually hit the incompatibility that I think I have?
2. Does it apply only to the process for making portable, or does it also apply to the running of the newly portable program?

If the latter, then these days there is a serious difficulty. Who carries sensitive information on unencrypted USB drives, except government employees? I don't! That means I must have the file system redirect running when using the portable program.