Will JauntePE be continued?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
ZergFood

Will JauntePE be continued?

#1 Post by ZergFood »

Hello,

I know the original author isn't working on JauntePE anymore, but is the source code available in some form? It's a real shame because I read that JaunePE doesn't work on 64-bit systems (even with 32-bit apps, mind you!) so that means it'll be dead forever on such systems? Even for 32-bit apps? :(

I shouldn't have even small hopes at all, should I?

I liked JauntePE compared to other crap virtualization because it keeps the file structure of the application intact (i.e not "packaged" into one '.exe' file) and can run from read-only media, unlike that ThinApp or whatever it's called which can't work from read-only "virtual registry".

:cry:

crownixx

Re: Will JauntePE be continued?

#2 Post by crownixx »

ZergFood wrote:I know the original author isn't working on JauntePE anymore, but is the source code available in some form?
AFAIK, redllar does not share his source code with anyone. He had bad experience in the past which make the open source ideology not always have positive side.
ZergFood wrote:It's a real shame because I read that JaunePE doesn't work on 64-bit systems (even with 32-bit apps, mind you!) so that means it'll be dead forever on such systems? Even for 32-bit apps? :(
Why JauntePE should be shame of it? Sandboxie, using the similar sandboxing technique like JauntePE also do not support 64-bit system. Even the developer (Ronen Tzur) charge money for his work, yet people still recognize his work, people still love his work and he proud of it. Is Ronen Tzur feel shame he cannot make Sandboxie support 64-bit system?

The main reason JauntePE does not support 64-bit system is because of limitation in the freeware madCodeHook 2.* library that is used to built JauntePE. The madCodeHook 3.0 beta supports 64-bit system but it's only for paying customers. Redllar wish to keep JauntePE as freeware. He even did not take any cent from his work. We should be grateful

If we look in the last of his work in two package: JPEPortable WOW64 TestV1.zip and JauntePE030AlphaFinal.zip, he did attempt making JauntePE working on 32-bit apps running on 64-bits system by using another technique of injection.

ZergFood

#3 Post by ZergFood »

I respect the man, don't get me wrong, I sure wish he would still be around though. I cannot imagine why he decided to be this way over some trivial matter. I get insulted by "trolls" all the time, along with my (stupid) proggies & whatever I do, but I realize that those trolls aren't the people actually using my stuff, so I shouldn't care about them.

As long as there are people using and respecting his work. He has all the right to abandon it obviously, I (and am sure others) will still respect his work and him! But getting too sensitive for people who don't respect him isn't the way to go in life -- he should focus on those he influenced with his work instead, and those that appreciate him.

I don't think he is going to read this though so I wonder why I posted it?

Also for the 64-bit thing, I don't understand why doesn't it work if JauntePE runs in WOW64 itself (it is 32-bit), the app is also 32-bit, so it should be "transparent" no? But then again I'm not master in Windows APIs.

crownixx

#4 Post by crownixx »

ZergFood wrote:Also for the 64-bit thing, I don't understand why doesn't it work if JauntePE runs in WOW64 itself (it is 32-bit), the app is also 32-bit, so it should be "transparent" no? But then again I'm not master in Windows APIs.
I do not have the position to speak as well. But try to find your answer in the madshi (the owner of api hooking library) forum below
XP 64 support?
Hooking 32 bit apps in Windows XP 64-bit

And some article in Nirsofer blog
8 things you should know before moving to x64 version of Windows
First, let's start with the good part: The x64 version of Windows have an emulation known as "WOW64" which allows you to install, run and use almost every existing 32-bit application that you currently use in your 32-bit version of Windows. I said the word 'almost' because there are some exceptions that will be explained in the next clauses.