JauntePE030AlphaFinal

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
joby_toss

JauntePE030AlphaFinal

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Code: Select all

http://www.box.net/shared/4cx4i2k00r
  • "IMPORTANT NOTE FOR NEW USERS: If this is your only JauntePE download thus far,
    you need to also download the prior build, extract its files, then replace them
    with this archive's contents only after you've decided they may be worth your
    time. This is not a complete release.

LOOKS LIKE THIS IS IT: The borrowed Windows system I've been using to develop
    JauntePE on has finally died. I have a recent backup but no way to finish what
    I had started with this build. So I give you what I had at the time. Please use
    caution if you decide to use the new DLL, as it definitely has not been tested
    as well as it should have been to be considered for a release.

The following is the "change log" for the changes as best as I can recall.

- JauntePE (put in JauntePE home directory)
    o new launcher icon for new JPE Drive tool for maintaining fake drive related
    config settings

- jauntePE DLL (put in JauntePE Runtime jauntePE def directory - I think)
    o "def" build only
    o some minor performance enhancements
    - something to do with file system and registry browsing actions
    - some tweaking to do with "exclude all" lists (can't remember what exactly)
    - launched apps with configs that have no module exclude/include lists should
    load and run slightly faster overall
    o support for new virtual-drive-in-one-file-or-in-memory fake drive settings
    - not even close to being complete but maybe useful for read-only purposes
    - may work okay with basic document file and image file viewing apps
    - not sure whether I got it working along with the encryption feature
    - will either get "access denied" or app crashes if app tries to write to it
    in anyway except maybe (not really sure) copying or moving entire files
    from another drive - I don't think you can go the other way yet
    - I think you can rename directories and files
    - can use the drive across multiple apps running at the same time?
    - this was just the beginnings of what I thought would be a complete solution
    for the portable registry and file system that would solve the issues having
    to do with keeping multiple apps in sync while using the same JPE portable
    infrastructure - the "file system" used for the virtual drive is not even
    close to what it needs to be - it's basically just a stream of some header
    data, some header data for each "entry", and some optional file data - there
    is also no interprocess sharing of the runtime housekeeping data used for
    tracking "open" files, directory browsings or directory change notifications
    o some bug fixes? - I have no idea what they are if they're in there, but I
    usually have a few that I find and squash for each new build, so I'm assuming
    this build's no different

- JauntePE.ini (put in JauntePE Toolbox directory)
    o help text for new JPE Drive tool

- JPE Desktop (put in JauntePE Toolbox directory)
    o new tool that was meant to eventually help with running a JPEized explorer
    along with JPEized apps with the same portable file system and registry -
    the only thing it does now, I think, is to safely "bounce" any currently
    running explorer processes - I think it's for XP only but maybe 2K as well -
    it uses the MS-recommended "back door" for explorer extension devs, so it's
    better than just killing and restarting your explorer desktop processes

- JPE Drive (put in JauntePE Toolbox directory)
    o new tool for maintaining fake drive related config settings - not complete

- JPE Portable (put in JauntePE Toolbox directory)
    o I think this has in it a more robust WOW64 mode that may work "better" than
    the previous build (it uses the launched process's instruction pointer intead
    of the exe's start address, so if the WOW64 sub-system has already "started"
    the process, this should have a better chance of getting the "load jpe dll"
    code executed as opposed to the previous build) - or it may just give you the
    "can't run" popup - anyway, use with caution as always
    o I think this also has in it the inject-only changes I had put into a separate
    build that had something to do with showing a systray icon and running without
    popup messages

- JPE Quickie (put in JauntePE Toolbox directory)
    o some changes, but I don't remember exactly what they were - probably something
    to do with processing of the discovery mode data, and a new "optimize startup"
    packaging option, although I'm pretty sure I didn't get it finished - I think
    "selecting" a Quickies tab entry will get you to a new window that lists the
    various types of discovery mode data, plus the log file's list of what hooked
    api functions got used before the app went into its idle mode - this is what
    was to be used to optimize an app's startup by mucking with the HookInit lists

- JPE Sandbox (put where ever and extract if desired)
    o this is just a "try it and see" thing where I had 2 JPE launchers to inject
    the JPE runtime into the explorer processes, and into the currently-running MS
    installer service process - admin priviledges required obviously - I was then
    able to run, directly from an explorer window, either an MSI-based installer
    exe, or a .msi file directly, and have changes made by those apps (and their
    child apps) captured into a portable registry and file system - I was able to
    successfully do this in a 2K VM for a few "large and complex" apps - I had
    begun working on putting this all together as some sort of tutorial or other
    type of release but never got any further than setting up the basic directory
    structure and contents

- PStart Tutorial (put where ever and extract if desired)
    o this is just the beginnings of a tutorial that I had intended to write to show
    how you could use a simple JPEized PStart to portably install/launch apps,
    along with how PStart's "start menu search" feature could be used to get at
    the portably installed app's start menu shortcut entries - I think my goal
    here was to show how PStart could very easily be used as a portable start menu
    replacement (p.s. I'm not sure where the JPE dll needs to go - the def dir?)"
:(

ZergFood

#2 Post by ZergFood »

This is a joke right? I mean, he didn't cease the entire development, just this version? Right? I hope so... :cry:

Can't he give the sources/backup at least? Please? JauntePE is such a great tool and unique/one of its kind :(

also please if you're still out there updating it, please also consider JPECmdline for update... it's very useful for those like me which automate stuff with .cmd files, or add command line support to JPEPortable..

Napiophelios

#3 Post by Napiophelios »

I got fed up trying to find a nice offline html browser
to referance the help files (and render them properly).
So I compiled all of them into
a little exe for quick referance.

If you need/use the html help as much as I do
its pretty handy.

If any one else is interested here it is.

Just dont UPX it,
it will break.

EDIT:Created a second version that's a little smaller in size (1.35mb)
Download from mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwqz34nrm ... ELPmod2.7z
Last edited by Napiophelios on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you!

m^(2)

#5 Post by m^(2) »

Why won't you just release a chm?

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

m^(2) wrote:Why won't you just release a chm?
Not sure if you were talkin to me,but if so
I have a very simple answer..I dont know how :P

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Here is my shy attempt at compiling a chm file for jauntePE:
JauntePE_Help.chm
It was built straight from the html files that redllar wrote, using a fantastic little freeware tool called htm2chm.
Didn't know how to make a search index or how to edit the copyright properties (credits go to redllar, of course), so don't be to ruff on me ! :)
Hope it helps !

m^(2)

#8 Post by m^(2) »

For Total Commander users I can recommend chm plugin. It's nice. And portable. And always by hand. ;)
I have no comparison to external tools though. I never had a need to get one.

Napiophelios

#9 Post by Napiophelios »

joby_toss wrote:Here is my shy attempt at compiling a chm file for jauntePE:
JauntePE_Help.chm
It was built straight from the html files that redllar wrote, using a fantastic little freeware tool called htm2chm.
Didn't know how to make a search index or how to edit the copyright properties (credits go to redllar, of course), so don't be to ruff on me ! :)
Hope it helps !
Nice and tiny,I love it :D
Thanx joby_toss

Its got an index so the search index is pointless anyway IMO. :P

camaro1919

#10 Post by camaro1919 »

I just discovered this app and I downloaded the AlphaFinal zip file and I saw the above (first post) in the README file.

What items are missing that are in the previous release?

Where can I get the previous release?

Napiophelios

#11 Post by Napiophelios »

camaro1919 wrote:I just discovered this app and I downloaded the AlphaFinal zip file and I saw the above (first post) in the README file.

What items are missing that are in the previous release?

Where can I get the previous release?
I believe its the NB19 posted right below on the same page you got the AlphaFinal

jfmherokiller

Re: JauntePE030AlphaFinal

#12 Post by jfmherokiller »

This sucks when i saw this thread i was shocked that the development died.but since it did how about someone lists alternatives to jpe I do not mean portable apps I mean programs that function as a application virtualization suite if we do this then most of us I believe will be happier.