jauntePE 0.1.5 alpha problem

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
denash1

jauntePE 0.1.5 alpha problem

#1 Post by denash1 »

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/ ... untePE.jpg

thats the error screen that i am getting when I am trying to start thisprogramm does anyone have a solution for it??? by the way 0.1.4 alpha of this software is working properly

thx in advance

redllar

#2 Post by redllar »

Someone else reported this earlier today. So it looks like it's not an isolated problem.

Go ahead and use the 014 JauntePE.exe and JauntePE_cmdline.exe. There's no functional change between them and their 015 equivalents.

I have no clue what's causing the problem though. Everything I've sent out I've pretested here by emailing to myself and then going through the same process I assume you're going through. Maybe the unpacking, reshacking, and repacking I'm having to do to the exes to get their version info updated is causing problems for some Windows security-related stuff.

BTW, the md5 value for the 015 zip is 50E5D21E7F747A12BF7CB1D7DC9FD653.
It's 7B99F0196B1938FDE8AB6E0B28B9C32D for the 015 JauntePE.exe.

sgp

#3 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote: BTW, the md5 value for the 015 zip is 50E5D21E7F747A12BF7CB1D7DC9FD653.
It's 7B99F0196B1938FDE8AB6E0B28B9C32D for the 015 JauntePE.exe.
Yep, those are the MD5s that I'm getting here after unpacking. But jauntePE.exe isn't starting here either, so there's definitely a wrong exe in the zip file.

Can anyone run the exe in the 015 zip file?

redllar

#4 Post by redllar »

Just curious. What OSs/SPs are you guys on? The emailer having problems is using 2003 SP2.

sgp

#5 Post by sgp »

I'm on WinXP Pro SP2 - but what's that have to do with the email? I don't understand. My email server is yahoo if that matters.

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Just checked the latest, 015 JauntePE.exe. I also unable to run it. It opens dialog that says, "Failed to start because application configuration is incorrect..." If I click "Ok", it shows again the same warning. Second "Ok" closes it. And I'm using XP SP2.

POD

#7 Post by POD »

I have the same problem on XP service pack 2, using the executables from the previous version as suggested did resolve the issue.

However being old fashioned, or plain nosy I checked the event viewer and found some stop errors: source sidebyside

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\JauntePE015\JauntePE\JauntePE.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\JauntePE015\JauntePE\JauntePE.exe" on line 21.

Anyone else see these?

redllar

#8 Post by redllar »

I'm on WinXP Pro SP2 - but what's that have to do with the email? I don't understand. My email server is yahoo if that matters.
It has nothing to do with the email. Your having the same md5 checksum as me tells us the email went through fine for you. I asked the question to see if it was an OS-specific problem.
Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\JauntePE015\JauntePE\JauntePE.exe" on line 21.
Great find POD. That explains why I don't have the problem here on 2K.

I opened the exe in a hex editor and saw that the final line of the embedded XP+ common control's manifest got chopped off and now just says "</ass" when it should say "</assembly>". If you want to hex-edit the exe there's room in there to correct it.

So either I have a root-kit here and someone's having fun at my/our expense, or my un-packing, res-hacking, and re-packing of the JPE exe caused the problem. The JPE CLI exe doesn't have this problem, btw.

Just one more reason for me to get out of here and let someone else take over the project, since I don't have the proper testing setup. So if you know of anyone who has some Windows chops and might be interested, please have them get in touch. Sorry for yet another screw up guys.

Firewrath

#9 Post by Firewrath »

redllar wrote: I opened the exe in a hex editor and saw that the final line of the embedded XP+ common control's manifest got chopped off and now just says "</ass" when it should say "</assembly>". If you want to hex-edit the exe there's room in there to correct it.
i tryed this with two different hexediters, still got the error, O_o

Zach Thibeau

#10 Post by Zach Thibeau »

redllar wrote: Just one more reason for me to get out of here and let someone else take over the project, since I don't have the proper testing setup. So if you know of anyone who has some Windows chops and might be interested, please have them get in touch. Sorry for yet another screw up guys.
You don't have to apologize for mistakes. It's just something that happens. I personally would like to work with you on continuing JauntePE but with limited programming languages it would take me longer to develop. Fortunetly I am learning C++ programing Via working on a Notepad2 Mod :) so if you could I could take over or be part of the take over team if there is to be a team of devs for continuing JauntePE after your done :)

redllar

#11 Post by redllar »

i tryed this with two different hexediters, still got the error, O_o
Oops. 2 more things: make sure you put a crlf sequence (hex 0d0a) at the end of the </assembly> string and also, go up to the beginning of the manifest, where it starts with <?xml, and make sure the 4 bytes to the left of that are hex 1c87 0200. If you have what I have here the 1c byte will be a 24. The byte position for that byte is hex 10724. I tested this on a friend's XP laptop last night and it worked.
You don't have to apologize for mistakes. It's just something that happens.
No, not for bugs, but for the poor testing enviro I now have here.
so if you could I could take over or be part of the take over team if there is to be a team of devs for continuing JauntePE after your done
This is really a small enough project for just one person. But it's definitely doable by a team, especially if it gets to the 020 plugin stage.

The big issue in my mind is what tools will be available. I spent some time during the last 2 days getting the code tweaked to the point where I could compile and link it via gcc/mingw32. The results are disappointing. The jpe dll comes out to be 307KB - after upxing it. I don't know about you but that's not something I'd consider as a viable alternative to what a 10 year old professional compiler can put out. And there's absolutely no comparison between debuggers. AFAIK you wouldn't be able to debug the injected dll with any free tool out there right now, so you'd have to use the logging version and step through its output to find the problem. Which is very, very tedious and time consuming.

Zach Thibeau

#12 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Well I have Mingw and also have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express edition so I can do it it's just I am in the learning process so I can help continue JauntePE ;)

POD

#13 Post by POD »

I now have 0.15 working after carrying out the additional editing :D
Oops. 2 more things: make sure you put a crlf sequence (hex 0d0a) at the end of the </assembly> string and also, go up to the beginning of the manifest, where it starts with <?xml, and make sure the 4 bytes to the left of that are hex 1c87 0200.
I used HxD for the record

Zach Thibeau

#14 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Well what I did was just copy the 0.14 manifest and replaced the broken 0.15 (all via XNresource editor and not reshack) and my executable worked perfectly

chezduong

#15 Post by chezduong »

@thibeaz, I'm not nearly as advanced as you. Would you be able to send me your 0.1.5 version? Thanks in advance.