How to use JauntePE as a sandbox ?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Cattleya

How to use JauntePE as a sandbox ?

#1 Post by Cattleya »

Hi all, I know that JauntePE have an ability to force application not write files, registry to system, but is there a way to use JauntePE as a sandbox as easy as Sandboxie did ? I mean I can just drop application .exe file to JauntePE and application can run inside JauntePE sandbox ?

Is it possible, and what part of JauntePE used to do that, is jauntePE.dll or jauntePE.exe ? Can I use commandline to start application in sandbox, if it is possible, example: JauntePE.exe "C:/test.exe", I think I can easily write a wrapper with Autohotkey to do that(drop and pass command line).

P/s: I know that we have PStart JPE Edition, but is it have what I want ? http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=4835

Many thank!

Napiophelios

Re: How to use JauntePE as a sandbox ?

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

Cattleya the easiest thing is to create a jauntePE launcher for an app similar to Run 95.
That way whatever application you use Run 95 to open will be sandboxed.

But the JPE sandbox isnt as waterproof as you would like it to be
and some exe files/installers can completely bypass the sandbox

I use a similar jauntePE run dialogue box but I only use it on extracted program files
never with installers as they are sometimes unpredictable.

The JPE PStart Crownixx made is about as good a sandbox configuration you will find

Cattleya

#3 Post by Cattleya »

Hi Napiophelios,

But the only thing that I need to know is, how to sandbox whole C:, D:, E: drive with JauntePE, I tested PStart but I seem not Sandbox disk drive, only sandbox User folder, Windows folder, ProgramFiles folder.

I tried to run a portable software that create a ini file after it start with PStart JPE Edition above, the ini file create outside sandbox folder, ini file appear in my portable software folder. How to configure JauntePE INI to have what I need ?

Can anyone help me solve my final problem, I want my app run on a fully sandboxed environment like Sandboxie did, example when I run this portable app in Sandboxie, Sandboxie will create a folder contain ini file inside its virtual disk drive (C folder, D folder) inside sandbox.

I don't want to use Sandboxie, because its file size is much bigger than JautePE, also not free, so if I have an alternative with JauntePE, will be perfect!

Thank!

Cattleya

#4 Post by Cattleya »

Seem JauntePE 0.6 don't have three icons after run a program like 0.3: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/fc5e3baf78.jpg

I'm new at JauntePE, I don't know what is the use of these three icons.

Napiophelios

#5 Post by Napiophelios »

Special Folders Function as explained to us by Crownixx...

The 3 little icons let the user know what kind of redirection the launcher is implementing;
one is for file system,one is for registry,and I think one is for child processes (not sure about that one tho)

They can be hidden with a quick ini edit (version 0.3.0 anyways)

Cattleya

#6 Post by Cattleya »

The 3 little icons let the user know what kind of redirection the launcher is implementing;
one is for file system,one is for registry,and I think one is for child processes (not sure about that one tho)

They can be hidden with a quick ini edit (version 0.3.0 anyways)
Thank you Napiophelios, can I enable these three icons in JauntePE 0.6.0 ?
I tried to replace JauntePE.dll of PStart from 0.3.0 with 0.6.0 and also create new launcher for 0.6.0 compatible, three icons not appear anymore ? I don't know why, is it has been removed from JauntePE 0.6.0 ?

Napiophelios

#7 Post by Napiophelios »

I dont really know,I havent done much with the latest JPE release aside from download it :oops:
When I want to make a quick portable I still use the older 030 version

I dont think the dlls files are interchangeable tho.
sorry I dont know much more to help you
I am just an amateur :lol:

loin2kolpotoru

#8 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I also liked those icons in JauntePE but I don't think you can enable those three icons in JauntePE 0.6.0 because jauntePE.dll was released in min version in 0.6.0 (see the jauntePE.dll property) the last version of jauntePE.dll which contains those icons is 0.5.0.0 you can use it if you want to use the icons.

I think JauntePE is intended to sandbox applications and not full system sandboxing and it might be very difficult to use it as alternate to sandbox.

You can try other freeware sandbox applications like - geswall.2.9.2.freeware, Toolwiz Time Freeze, BufferZonePro (needs free online activation).

Cattleya

#9 Post by Cattleya »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:I also liked those icons in JauntePE but I don't think you can enable those three icons in JauntePE 0.6.0 because jauntePE.dll was released in min version in 0.6.0 (see the jauntePE.dll property) the last version of jauntePE.dll which contains those icons is 0.5.0.0 you can use it if you want to use the icons.

I think JauntePE is intended to sandbox applications and not full system sandboxing and it might be very difficult to use it as alternate to sandbox.

You can try other freeware sandbox applications like - geswall.2.9.2.freeware, Toolwiz Time Freeze, BufferZonePro (needs free online activation).
Thank you, hope redllar will release 0.6.0 final with full JauntePE.dll.
I only need a sandbox that block registry change, so I happy with JauntePE enough, other sandbox tool is not small as JauntePE, only 300-400KB.

loin2kolpotoru

#10 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I also wish JauntePE will be updated and specially 64 bit support will be added and full JauntePE.dll will be released. But there is very little hope practically as i have already discussed here - http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 13&t=20346

loin2kolpotoru

#11 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I have some good news for you. I have done some R&D and succeed in using JauntePE as a sandbox. This can be done through JPECmdline.exe which you can find in JauntePE030Alpha.zip here -
https://sites.google.com/site/jauntepe/Home/download
direct download link -
https://sites.google.com/site/jauntepe/ ... edirects=0

I have added a context menu option for using it Easily.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 53625 times

Cattleya

#12 Post by Cattleya »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:I have some good news for you. I have done some R&D and succeed in using JauntePE as a sandbox. This can be done through JPECmdline.exe which you can find in JauntePE030Alpha.zip here -
https://sites.google.com/site/jauntepe/Home/download
direct download link -
https://sites.google.com/site/jauntepe/ ... edirects=0

I have added a context menu option for using it Easily.
I'm using Windows 7 64bit, seems JauntePE 0.3.0 not work on 64bit system, it show error every time I run.

loin2kolpotoru

#13 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

The developer of JauntePE was working on 64 bit version of JauntePE but he abandoned JauntePE without releasing 64 bit version of JauntePE.

So the conclusion is 64 bit apps are not supported by JauntePE.

Cattleya

#14 Post by Cattleya »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:The developer of JauntePE was working on 64 bit version of JauntePE but he abandoned JauntePE without releasing 64 bit version of JauntePE.

So the conclusion is 64 bit apps are not supported by JauntePE.
So sad, newer version can run fine on 64bit system( I really don't care about it can run 64bit or not, I only need it run fine on 64bit system and prevent 32bit exe file create registry key, change file, add file to my system is ok! )

But no JPECmdline.exe for 0.6.0, I don't want to use other Sandbox like Sandboxie, Geswall.. because JauntePE is a portable sandbox also, other not, other sandbox will create file to my system, change my registry also.