Do you want JauntePE-ized launcher packages in TPFC?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.

Yes, if Andrew says it's okay
86%
No
12%
Maybe
2%

Total votes: 42

redllar

#1 Post by redllar »

With the JPE runtime potentially being much smaller since we can now safely exe-compress it thanks to the upx lzma option, I can see the potential for creating standalone, wrapper-like JPE-ized launcher packages for any number of non-portable apps.

So, what's your opinion on this. Would you like to see JPE-ized launcher packages included in Andrew's list?

JohnHolland

JPE-packages

#2 Post by JohnHolland »

answer: yes

alanbcohen

#3 Post by alanbcohen »

We generally don't question inclusion is someone writes a wrapper in one language or another. So, this is a different tool. So long as it is a package (doesn't require external apps), what is the difference if JauntePE is used?

Even size is less important now with 4 gig drives available at retail (Staples) for $40. And 120 gig 2.5" HD packaged as externals for $90.

redllar

#4 Post by redllar »

alanbcohen wrote:We generally don't question inclusion is someone writes a wrapper in one language or another. So, this is a different tool. So long as it is a package (doesn't require external apps), what is the difference if JauntePE is used?

Even size is less important now with 4 gig drives available at retail (Staples) for $40. And 120 gig 2.5" HD packaged as externals for $90.
Good points.

I thought I saw elsewhere on TPFC that the question had already been asked and that the answer was no. I think the reasoning was because so many apps could potentially be so easily portablized with JPE. With the other methods one would have to at least create a script. With JPE, a lot of apps don't even require anything more than the distributed default ini. Obviously that won't yield an optimal runtime but it looks as if that's the way most people are using JPE.

So personally I would like to add just a few into the database as examples, hopefully to get some more exposure for JPE and bring in some more people who are willing to do the work to figure out how particular apps use the registry and non-portable file system directories and then use JPE to portablize it and share their results.

Local

Of course

#5 Post by Local »

I don't really see the difference with posting JPE'd apps and posting John Hallers portables.

If they're legal, free and portable they belong in the database.

Noone has to download them if they don't want them

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Local wrote:I don't really see the difference with posting JPE'd apps and posting John Hallers portables.
If I were to choose between JPE apps and wrapped apps, I would definitely choose JPE apps.
Wrapper would need the application to be closed to actually remove trace in the host computer. While JauntePE doesn't touch the host. If the computer crash or hang so user would need to cold reboot the info is still in the host PC.

Doesn't want to talk bad about Portable Apps, but I read it's Firefox still leaves trace after exit.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

I voted "Yes" :D

... on the condition that someone bothers to put up a proper web site for the apps they have made portable using JPE, like the portable wrappers.

If I have to host all the JPE-enabled apps on this site, you guys will be seeing the "Quota exceeded" message all the time!

portackager

#8 Post by portackager »

Voted: Yes.

great work redllar :wink:

Kranor

#9 Post by Kranor »

Voted Maybe

I would say yes, providing that any apps are maintained in a seperate list. And the apps are not hosted on portablefreeware.com. I would also suggest that it would be better to only provide a link to the wrapper or .ini and reg files rather that the 'complete package', If you link to the entire setup I believe it will devolve to a few people making these JPE wrapped apps. Whereas if people still have to do some work they might be encouraged to learn more about the process and develop there own JPE wrappers for inclusion on the list. On the plus side is more apps for all plus more people testing and developing redlars amazing tool. :D

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am thinking of hosting and pointing to the JPE wrappers, in addition to pointing to the NSIS wrappers.

I thought maybe we could have a forum for people to submit JPE wrappers, and then interested parties can test them out and improve on them. Once we feel that the wrapper is ready, we can link to it.

So for example, under the entry for xplorer2 lite (which I am playing with right now), we can point to the NSIS wrapper as well as to the JPE wrapper, with instructions on how to set it up eg. download app, extract, place wrapper in same folder and launch etc.

Happen thought through the implementation details yet. Just thought it is a good idea to spread the goodness of JPE and get more people to pound on it.

malikorx69

#11 Post by malikorx69 »

I have my external hard drive formatted in NTFS with compression enabled so it's no problem if the apps are changed or to remain in their current format. I have a 4GB USB Drive and it's 2.75GB full. That's without compression and I have over 200 setup files, 36 portable apps installed and 14 more apps installed that aren't made to be portable but are installed anyway (Nero, Photoshop, etc.) so space doesn't seem to be such a concern anymore. Not to mention the Best Buy near my house sells 8GB USB Drives for $50, 4GB USB Drives for $30 and 2GB USB Drives for a mere $15