List of software that Works under JauntPE

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
4Gigs

#16 Post by 4Gigs »

hi. does anyone mind pointing out the exact settings to use when doing this on sysinternals process explorer?

i did try it, im just not sure if what i did was right. i didnt quite understand some of the options.

id appreciate any help.

thank you and good day.

redllar

#17 Post by redllar »

4Gigs wrote:hi. does anyone mind pointing out the exact settings to use when doing this on sysinternals process explorer?

i did try it, im just not sure if what i did was right. i didnt quite understand some of the options.

id appreciate any help.

thank you and good day.
Here's what I use for Process Explorer v10.2. It's from a procexp_jauntePE.ini file:

Code: Select all

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=.\procexp_jauntePE.reg

[Filesystem]
Use=0

[ModuleExclude]
1=*

[ModuleInclude]
1=procexp.exe

[RegistryExclude]
1=*

[RegistryInclude]
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Systems Internals\Process Explorer

[RegistryIgnore]

sgp

#18 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:

[RegistryInclude]

[RegistryIgnore]
Why are you including and ignoring the same keys? What does it mean? I'm not clear what ignoring keys does.

sgp

#19 Post by sgp »

I tried a similar setting for Process Monitor and it worked - but only the first run. On all subsequent runs I get an error message: MS Visual C++ abnormal program termination.

[Registry] 
Use=1 
Data=.\Registry\%appname%.reg 

[Filesystem] 
Use=0 
Data=.\FileSystem

[ModuleExclude] 
1=* 

[ModuleInclude] 
1=procmon.exe 

[RegistryExclude] 
1=* 

[RegistryInclude] 
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Monitor 
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Systems Internals\Process Monitor 

[RegistryIgnore] 
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Monitor 
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Systems Internals\Process Monitor 

redllar

#20 Post by redllar »

Why are you including and ignoring the same keys? What does it mean? I'm not clear what ignoring keys does.
The ignore list is for keys that you don't want the app to know about, even if they exist in the system registry. So if my portable reg happens to be missing a certain key value, and that key value exists in the system reg, the app will be told that that key value doesn't exist, and default it as it would normally.

What I'm doing is making sure that I don't pick up any system registry entries when running on pcs that have Process Explorer installed and running normally. There's also some apps that get into infinite loops when the same reg key exists both in the portable reg and the system reg. This will prevent that type of problem as well. There's also a 3rd benefit but I can't remember what it is. :)

redllar

#21 Post by redllar »

I tried a similar setting for Process Monitor and it worked - but only the first run. On all subsequent runs I get an error message: MS Visual C++ abnormal program termination.
Yeah, I seem to remember having a problem with RegMon as well back when I was using it. I'll try and take a look at it again when I have the chance.

4Gigs

#22 Post by 4Gigs »

thanks redllar for the ini file and for the discussion above. helps a lot.

cheers.

redllar

#23 Post by redllar »

sgp wrote:I tried a similar setting for Process Monitor and it worked - but only the first run. On all subsequent runs I get an error message: MS Visual C++ abnormal program termination.
Hey sgp, thanks for finding that bug. It's in the in-memory registry usage code, so if you turn that off and rebuild your launcher then things should work. I can't test it completely because I'm on 2K SP1 and Process Monitor wants SP4.

PM or email me if you want a new version of the JPE dll that has a fix in place for the bug.

redllar

#24 Post by redllar »

4Gigs wrote:thanks redllar for the ini file and for the discussion above. helps a lot.

cheers.
You're welcome.

sgp

#25 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:PM or email me if you want a new version of the JPE dll that has a fix in place for the bug.
Hi Redllar, I PM'ed you my e-mail address a couple of days ago... but I still haven't gotten your reply. ?? Thanks.

redllar

#26 Post by redllar »

I just PM'd you back.

sgp

#27 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote: Here's what I use for Process Explorer v10.2. It's from a procexp_jauntePE.ini file:

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=.\procexp_jauntePE.reg

[Filesystem]
Use=0

[ModuleExclude]
1=*

[ModuleInclude]
1=procexp.exe

[RegistryExclude]
1=*

[RegistryInclude]

[RegistryIgnore]
Mmm, I just noticed that with these settings, when I exit procexp the process stays around like a zombie, though the window does close. Does it happen to you too?

Local

#28 Post by Local »

@ sgp
I found that problem with a few apps like ultra ISO it only seems to be when I shut them down with the Red Cross and not through the files/Exit command.

I'm not sure if it's because the close window cross is a windows command and doesn't get hooked right or something...

redllar

#29 Post by redllar »

Mmm, I just noticed that with these settings, when I exit procexp the process stays around like a zombie, though the window does close. Does it happen to you too?
Just re-tested and no problems like that here. And I tested both with the normal procexp entries in the system registry and without. Are you running task manager as well? Is it showing a cpu spike via procexp while the procexp process is still active but with no visible window?

sgp

#30 Post by sgp »

Local wrote:@ sgp
I found that problem with a few apps like ultra ISO it only seems to be when I shut them down with the Red Cross and not through the files/Exit command.
Local, you are probably right, because I do always use the red X to close my apps. And I've seen that type of problem before, mainly in conjunction with console apps. I start the portable wrapper from a console session, if that matters.
BTW, I don't always get zombies, just sometimes.