Porta###Appz

Any other tech-related topics
spaztastic

Portable Software

#1 Post by spaztastic »

The creator of the blog uses the PortableApps Creator, which is available from PortableApps.com, and uses it to make his own portable versions of software. He distributes the software, too. Yes, some of the software is illegal to distribute or even modify, but it happens. Here is the link:

http://portableappz.blogspot.[use caution when visiting this site]com

Checker

#2 Post by Checker »

Unbelievable!
There are even reg-keys in the subfolders.
Most of the programs are share- or payware ... and you can download them for free :shock:

That's definetly not legal.

lajjal

Portableapp.z oddity

#3 Post by lajjal »

The Portableapp.z site is a mix of freeware and payware so I hope this is okay here. The portableapp.z menu is freeware. The oddity is that the menu runs great in Wine but none of the appz will even start. If someone is using Portableapps the appz menu might be worth a look since it works well and supports numerous extra features like catagories. Smithtech also has a freeware portableapps menu clone with catagories and support for Truecrypt but it's a bit buggy. I don't use portableapps but I know some here do so I hope this is helpful.

donald

Menu where is the menu?

#4 Post by donald »

Menu where is the menu??

I can find a lot of portabalized apps but

no menu please give info on the menu

where is it?

lajjal

#5 Post by lajjal »

On the opening page on the right toward the bottom of the section about portable apps.
[/code]

nickoftime

#6 Post by nickoftime »

I'm interested in the menu - I use PStart but am always looking for something different.

Please post a URL where I can get the menu.

Cheers,

Nick

lajjal

#7 Post by lajjal »

http://portableappz.blogspot.[use caution when visiting this site]com/

zak_711

Porta###Appz

#8 Post by zak_711 »

Hi. I have an impression: it seems that every knows http://porta###appz.blogspot.com/ but nobody dare to appoint it. Why? What's wrong in this site?
Thanks
Last edited by zak_711 on Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

Re: PortableAppz

#9 Post by guinness »

Because it distributes certain content which is breaking the terms and conditions of the respective software.

Would you mind editing your post and removing the link as TPFC doesn't like to advocate the use of illegal content :) Thanks

m^(2)

#10 Post by m^(2) »

The link can be reassembled by reading the topic title :P

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

zak_711 wrote:Hi. I have an impression: it seems that every knows http://porta###appz.blogspot.com/ but nobody dare to appoint it. Why? What's wrong in this site?
Thanks
Its a warez/piracy site and this site doesn't cover either of those topics. There are plenty of reasons not to link to sites like that including search engine rankings, ethics, the title of the site, as well as the fact that plenty of other sites are already covering that.

Additionally the site clearly and obviously lifts PortableApps look and icon, which is several layers of bad.

Not that all our downloads are 100% guaranteed, but I'd be a lot more cautious with downloads from there.
Last edited by webfork on Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: (realized I didn't answer "why", just restated the policy)

Checker

#12 Post by Checker »

To offer cracked payware does not make it freeware :!:

zak_711

Re: Porta###Appz

#13 Post by zak_711 »

Ok, thanks, now I have understand

carbonize

#14 Post by carbonize »

Sheesh Google make it near impossible to report a site for piracy. You choose the copyright/piracy option then it asks you to pick one of four options none of which has anything to do with piracy and all are in the first person in respect to copyright.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:Sheesh Google make it near impossible to report a site for piracy. You choose the copyright/piracy option then it asks you to pick one of four options none of which has anything to do with piracy and all are in the first person in respect to copyright.
I've encountered this as well -- they've made it impossible to even register a complaint, much less take legal action. They appear to be a lot better with plagiarism than copyright violations. Its disappointing, but probably because they get hundreds of complaints per day.