Outpost Security Suite FREE [discontinued]

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

Outpost Security Suite FREE [discontinued]

#1 Post by joby_toss »

• Outpost Security Suite FREE — The 1st Free Complete Internet Security Suite
    • Agnitum is the first security vendor to deliver a fully functional free version of an Internet security suite for Windows users. Outpost Security Suite FREE 7.0 builds on the acclaimed antivirus, firewall and proactive protection technologies. The free solution employs modern techniques to prevent infections, data corruption and PC intrusions.

Outpost FREE gives you:

• VB100 certified antivirus
      • Best-of-breed PC firewall
      • Top-notch proactive protection
      • Light-weight solution, no slowdowns
      • Up-to-date technology — based
      on the latest Outpost 7.0
      • Full compatibility with modern Windows (7, Vista, XP)
      • Full compatibility for 64-bit Windows

Min. hardware requirements:
      450 MHz CPU(x86-/x64-/multi-core),
      256Mb RAM, 200Mb free disk space.
    Download x86 or x64

FREE vs PRO comparison
Anyone feel like testing this one? :)

carbonize

Re: Outpost Security Suite FREE

#2 Post by carbonize »

I'm always wary of any anti virus not tested by AV Comparatives. Not saying it's not a good anti virus just saying the only real test it has been put to is Virus Bulletin and even on there the results are 10 passes and 4 failures.

I do love the sales patter. Best-of-breed PC firewall means what? Top-notch proactive protection, pretty sure Top-notch isn't a recognised term used to indicate a level of effectiveness.

Anyway if I get a bit of time I might test it on my laptop which still runs XP and I have no concerns about reformatting.

-Edit

Just noticed that is apparently also comes with anti spam. I highly suspect it's anti spam will either be whitelist based or good old bayesian.

Also just found this review of the pro version. Doesn't sound to good.
We found Outpost Security Suite Pro to be a bit difficult to operate compared to other internet security suites we reviewed. The menus are hard to navigate and its features have a way of either not working or making your system function at a much lower level because it has slowed it down so much. The average user is not going to like this program if they're short on patience. It's likely to confuse most and frustrate an even larger group of people.
Summary:

Outpost Security Suite Pro is internet security suites software that doesn't put up much of a fight in the face of its competitors. Judged in a vacuum it’s a competent program, but compared to the best internet security software, it has little to recommend it.
Still I once tried Rising Anti Virus so this has to be an improvement on that.

Magibon

#3 Post by Magibon »

slowly but surely, since running into PortableFreeware, my collection of Software has been converting into freeware.

I still have my guilty pleasures... and skeletons in my closet.
What they are.. i will leave private.

However.. as of late.. i have been searching for a free alternative to my current Kaspersky Internet Security.
I have used many, many Anti-Virus/Internet Security. I have used Windows' Firewall, ESET, AVG, Avira, Comodo, Zone Alarm, etc.

None of them compared to Kaspersky. I don't do much downloading of software anymore these days.
So downloading Viruses is not a major concern for me. Plus.. i have enough knowledge/technical know-how to take preventive measures.

What i really admire about Kaspersky Internet Security is it's "Anti-Banner" feature.

With Kaspersky and Without Kaspersky is night and day.
With Kaspersky, i can surf the net and it's smooth sailing.. no banners.. no ads.. it works very well.
Without Kaspersky.. it's a nightmare.. my browsing comes to a screeching halt.. banners/ads everywhere. It's so bad.. i can barely stand to be online.

I have done some research to find a comparable Anti-Banner software but have not found any.
The closest is Ad-Muncher but it's payware and is not part of any Internet Security Suite. And quite honestly.. im not sure how well it works.

The other option i found is AVS Firewall.. which has an "Anti-Banner"..
However .. it claims to be "Free" but it's a lie.
They force you to buy it or it stops working.

Comodo Internet Security worked well.. it even comes with a built-in Sandbox, Anti-Virus, and 2-way Firewall.. with constant updates. The only thing missing was an Anti-Banner but it truly is FREE.. without any hidden agendas.

QUESTION/POLL
What is everyone using for Internet Security? Please post the Pros and Cons if possible. I am really looking to replace Kaspersky. Im tired of paying.

carbonize

#4 Post by carbonize »

Anti-Banner software? Just install an ad blocking extension for your browser. For IE try IE7 Pro.

ashghost

#5 Post by ashghost »

I don't have any security suite recommendations for you, but my ad-blocking solution is the MVPS Hosts file http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Replacing the hosts file is not quite portable (you need administrator rights), but it sounds like you're not really looking for a portable tool. Unlike an ad-blocking browser extension, it works across every browser on the system (I use Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Opera).

I use HostsXpert to handle the hosts file (to check for and download updated MVPS hosts, make and restore backups, whitelist some URLs, etc):
http://www.funkytoad.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=31
discussed on TPFC:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=2371
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=4310

carbonize

#6 Post by carbonize »

Trouble with a hosts file is it can only block domains so will not block ads hosted on the same domain as the site.

Magibon

#7 Post by Magibon »

Yes.. you guys are on the right track..

I don't use IE or Firefox..
I use Opera ..

So i would need something that blocks Ads throughout the system..

I have looked into the "hosts" file.. but:
1. It does not support "Heuristics", so it will not catch all Ads.
2. As Carbonize stated, it's very limited.

As for portable.. im not really worried about it.. as long as it works as good as Kaspersky's Anti-Banner.

I cannot describe how well Kaspersky's Anti-Banner work, you have to experience it. I have yet to encounter an Ad that was not detected by Kaspersky but at the same time it doesn't hinder my browsing experience. (as you need some pop-ups to work)

WITH KASPERSKY'S ANTI-BANNER:

WITHOUT KASPERSKY'S ANTI-BANNER:

carbonize

#8 Post by carbonize »

Opera does have an adblock system built in.

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

Have you searched for URLFilter.ini? The best place to find an up to date list is http://www.fanboy.co.nz/

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I hardly recognized the website in the second screenshot of Magibon. The reason: never saw those ads before! :)

Code: Select all

Opera + urlfilter.ini

carbonize

#11 Post by carbonize »

LOL yeah I'm the same when I see things like Facebook or Amazon when my partner visits them in IE.

Magibon

#12 Post by Magibon »

EDIT:
nevermind.. i figured it out.. you have to put the urlfilter.ini into "Profile" folder of Opera@USB/OperaTor :)
It works flawlessly!

THANKS EVERYONE !

Ok.. now.. what Internet Security are you guys using? please list the Pros and Cons if possible ..

carbonize

#13 Post by carbonize »

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall although I am also behind a firewalled router and don't use Internet Explorer. Common sense is probably one of the best defence measures.

Magibon

#14 Post by Magibon »

carbonize wrote:I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall although I am also behind a firewalled router and don't use Internet Explorer. Common sense is probably one of the best defence measures.

thanks carbonize for your input and suggestions,

I have a question about Windows Firewall: is it a 2-way firewall? i was always under the assumption that it's only 1-way.
I was considering just using Windows Firewall: because that would prevent me from having to install additional software on my PC.

F.Y.I
i am also behind a Router ..

Im leaning heavily towards Comodo Internet Security, only because it's completely free, and it's firewall is 2-way, and fully featured. The only cons i have read about is it's Anti-Virus. but that does not bother me.

The reviews about it's firewall has been outstanding.

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

If you have a Router with the Firewall turned on then Windows Firewall is really all you need! Plus now you have URLFilter.ini installed (and updated) you are less likely to connect to malicious sites. Also as an extra precaution have a look at adding sites to your HOSTS file. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm is a good place to start.

COMODO is ideal if you aren't behind a Router e.g. Fibre Optic as your ISP might have all Ports open for incoming traffic, so the 'Software' Firewall would limit these incoming connections to your computer.

Sometimes security overkill can do more harm than good!

Sorry carbonize for jumping in!