Too much is too much ...

Any other tech-related topics
cmmehl

Too much is too much ...

#1 Post by cmmehl »

It is my morning pleasure to visit this site and rapidly go through the new entries as well as recent forum threads. Since I'm not interested in games I normally just ignore game entries or discussions.

But today - 5 pages of games, all more or less of the same nature - ARRRRGH!

Would it not have been possible to put all of them in one entry?

Nothing against gamers, but if the ratio games <> "serious applications" continues to be disbalanced like this, I plead for the separation of the two entities.

Thx for consideration & other opinions on this subject

Chris

technicolordreamcoat

#2 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

@cmmehl

totally agree with you

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy »

As you may know, risk found a page with 24 portable puzzler apps and, since I'm "in charge" of the games section, I added them.

[EDIT] Correction: I only added 22. Somehow I missed 2 of them.

I understand where you're coming from and I was actually planning on adding these in installments, but I had my clipboard manager set up so that I could add them very efficiently and I figured I'd get them out of the way so I could set my sights on other applications and/or games.

I talked to Andrew about this and he agreed that we should have separate posts for each game since they are separate games themselves.

Personally, I think these are a great find and are a wonderful addition to the previously lacking Puzzles category. They are all perfectly fit to be a part of anyone's USB drive, offering limitless replayability in small packages. I'm quite glad risk stumbled upon these gems.

And finally, the "ratio" of games:applications is currently 102:673 with games taking up roughly 13% of all entries, so I really can't see where you're getting this "imbalance" stuff. Sure, there were plenty of them added today (from one author), but it'd take a lot more effort for me to bring the games section anywhere near the "serious applications" area, and it's far from normal to find such a site full of games that fit the PFC criteria.

I'd also like to point out that you'd be singing a much different tune if those 24 puzzle games were all "serious applications," so please try to see this from my point of view of this find being a boon rather than a burden.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Come on guys. Let's give Fluffy some credit for achieving this impossible feat of human endurance.

I was the one who discussed with Fluffy and came to the agreement that we add them individually to the database instead of using the Links page, which is more for tips & tricks, individual collections and bootable images.

Having individual entries in the database will make it more searchable and benefit those looking for particular categories of apps. And note that this website is a rather special case because it contains all puzzles. Most other lists I have seen contain apps of different nature, so they have to be added to the database individually anyway.

If I could work as efficiently as Fluffy, all the entries in "Portable Software Submissions" would have been cleared by now! :oops:

cmmehl

#5 Post by cmmehl »

Fluffy, please don't take it personal!

Honestly, I think nobody knowing this site for some time will deny the important contributions provided by you, which has definitely increased the speed of additions to the DB. So let me thank you for that on this occasion.

It's just the games - really not my cup of tea. Not that I download every other portable application, but even if I don't, I often visit the website out of curiosity, getting the impression I can learn something.

Never with games, though, so for me these are like stumbling blocks in the flow of reading on the site. For me games are just games, and have no relevance on the question of portability. I don't know if I'm the only one with this view ...

But as I said, I have nothing against gamers at all. My suggestion to eventually divide the site and have the games separately was not meant punitive. It might actually prove to be useful, as (I reckon), the publics researching the one or the other section are rather different.

But I admit that I may be wrong with this assessment and thus would like to submit it for general discussion.

Cheers
Chris

portable-freak

#6 Post by portable-freak »

cmmehl wrote: .....
It's just the games - really not my cup of tea. Not that I download every other portable application, but even if I don't, I often visit the website out of curiosity, getting the impression I can learn something.

Never with games, though, so for me these are like stumbling blocks in the flow of reading on the site. For me games are just games, and have no relevance on the question of portability. I don't know if I'm the only one with this view ...
I wouldn't put it another way.