joby_toss

Re: Software promotions

#361 Post by joby_toss »

PowerISO 6.0 (100% Discount) - 24h remaining:

http://www.windowsdeal.com/w/poweriso-6-0-100-discount/

joby_toss

#362 Post by joby_toss »

Oldie but goodie: Abbyy FineReader 5 Pro - register and download.

Avast Internet Security 2015 (100% Discount) - 24h remaining.

Onesimus Prime

XYplorer Pro 15.90 FREE (fixed license) - Nov. 6, 2015 only

#364 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Hey all,
Today's freebie over at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ is the excellent XYplorer Pro. I bought the lifetime license several years ago, use it frequently (Portable file associations? Scripting? Queued file copying with verification? Yes please!), and enjoy recommending the program to others.

As a comment on the download page notes,
The giveaway is only semi-portable, because it writes in %AppData%. But you can change that quite easily. In the program folder you will see Startup.ini with the following content:

[Appdata]
Path=%appdata%\XYplorer

I changed that into

[Appdata]
Path=.\Data\

(the name of the subfolder is my choice). Now you have a real portable.
For those not familiar with Giveaway of the Day, they bundle the daily freebie in a 'wrapper' EXE such that it can only be installed today, and must be connected to the internet in order to initially call home. However, I was able to run it from within Sandboxie to avoid any extra junk from the wrapper.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy!

freakazoid

#365 Post by freakazoid »

Onesimus Prime wrote:Hey all,
Today's freebie over at http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ is the excellent XYplorer Pro. I bought the lifetime license several years ago, use it frequently (Portable file associations? Scripting? Queued file copying with verification? Yes please!), and enjoy recommending the program to others.

As a comment on the download page notes,
The giveaway is only semi-portable, because it writes in %AppData%. But you can change that quite easily. In the program folder you will see Startup.ini with the following content:

[Appdata]
Path=%appdata%\XYplorer

I changed that into

[Appdata]
Path=.\Data\

(the name of the subfolder is my choice). Now you have a real portable.
For those not familiar with Giveaway of the Day, they bundle the daily freebie in a 'wrapper' EXE such that it can only be installed today, and must be connected to the internet in order to initially call home. However, I was able to run it from within Sandboxie to avoid any extra junk from the wrapper.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy!
Thanks Onesimus Prime!

Big user of XYPlorer here, but have never bought the Pro version since the regular version does everything I need.

Decided to try Giveaway of the Day for the first time. Seems to work fine. Version is fixed though, meaning upgrades aren't possible. Even though this isn't upgradeable, might as well leave this around for fun ;)
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#366 Post by joby_toss »

CyberLink Power2Go 9 Platinum (100% Discount) - 2 days remaining.

joby_toss

#370 Post by joby_toss »

Hard Disk Sentinel 100% discount - 2 days remaining:
http://sharewareonsale.com/s/hard-disk- ... ndard-sale

Jetico Personal Firewall (100% Discount) - 2 days remaining:
http://www.windowsdeal.com/w/jetico-per ... nt-coupon/

Revo Uninstaller Pro - 75% off - 1 hour remaining:
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/revo ... deals-home

smaragdus

#371 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
Jetico Personal Firewall is now Free.

joby_toss

#372 Post by joby_toss »

HELSINKI, Finland – April 13, 2016 – Jetico, developer of world-class data protection software, announced today that its Jetico Personal Firewall, previously retailing at a premium rate, will now be available as a free download for users with Windows 8 or earlier.
I guess they just don't want to invest in developing a modern win 10 version, so they act generous...

webfork

#373 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:
smaragdus wrote:Jetico Personal Firewall is now Free.
I guess they just don't want to invest in developing a modern win 10 version, so they act generous...
*shrug* I'll take it. This crew puts out a good wipe and encryption program (though neither are free) so presumably they know security. Still, I might switch to something else in a year or two as I don't think they'll be updating it.

smaragdus

#374 Post by smaragdus »

Most standalone firewalls get abandoned nowadays (including the one I was using- Privatefirewall). I appreciate Jetico's decision to give their firewall for free- many companies just take down discontinued products. More, Jetico also offers some nice free tools (BCArchive, BCTextEncoder) and responds to feature requests for these free tools. I find Jetico's support to be user-friendly.

webfork

#375 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Jetico also offers some nice free tools (BCArchive, BCTextEncoder) and responds to feature requests for these free tools. I find Jetico's support to be user-friendly.
Interesting. Do you use (or plan to use) their firewall?