Button-heavy mice software?

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Button-heavy mice software?

#1 Post by webfork »

I've recently put my hands on a mouse with 10+ buttons, not including right and left mouse buttons. To this point I've been almost exclusively focused on tools that let you do things with just a keyboard (and no mouse) and now I'm imagining what's possible in the opposite direction.

Right now I'm looking at HotKeysList to help determine what current hotkeys are in place that I might want to trigger via mouse. LeoMoon's Hotkeys to enable some more advanced functions.

X-Mouse Button Control (XMBC) unfortunately only seems to recognize the standard buttons (left, right, scroll, etc.) and not all the extras.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations here?

Cornflower

Re: Button-heavy mice software?

#2 Post by Cornflower »

My recommendation is to play with the mouse for awhile, and see which mouse buttons your fingers easily press, accidentally press, or find difficult to press. I have found that with my arthritis and tendonitis, even a vertical mouse no longer works for me well, and some buttons on my 6-button mouse go unused, while I also use a regular mouse for my left hand at the same time to give my wrist a rest.

That said, useful macros or hotkeys for me are the hotkey to allow Greenshot (or other screen capture utility) to define the rectangle. (I use greenshot and define Shift-PrtScrn to do that); a key to run famulus; and a key to change virtual windows. When I am working fast on a paper, or in class, I find these most useful.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Cornflower wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:53 pm I also use a regular mouse for my left hand at the same time to give my wrist a rest.
Sorry to hear that - definitely have friends and family with wrist issues.

On a related note, saw two programs that might be interesting if you only had one mouse: software that lets you change the primary mouse button so it's easier to change hands while using an ambidextrous mouse.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Mi ... r-FD.shtml
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sy ... tton.shtml
Cornflower wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:53 pm That said, useful macros or hotkeys for me are the hotkey to allow Greenshot (or other screen capture utility) to define the rectangle.
Very cool, thanks

Midas

Re: LibreScroll (mouse utility)

#4 Post by Midas »

Something that may (or not...) fall under this topic: LibreScroll.
Smooth inertial scrolling on Windows with any regular mouse.

I'm such a fan of inertial scrolling that I stick to some (expensive) Logitech mouses who do it by default, so I have no easy way of testing this. I hope someone finds it appealling, though.

LibreScroll is currently v1.0.2, released 2023-07-21 (changes and downloads at https://github.com/EsportToys/LibreScroll/releases).

dhuro99

#6 Post by dhuro99 »

HotKeysList is a good start to check existing hotkeys. I've also tried AutoHotkey for customizing mouse button functions, and it's pretty versatile.