Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA)

Any other tech-related topics
freakazoid

Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA)

#1 Post by freakazoid »

So you might have heard the news that Android apps will be able to run in Windows 11 and is currently available to test in the Windows 11 beta channel if you're a Windows insider.

However, if you are running Windows 11, you do not need to be an insider or be running the 11 beta, you can test WSA right now! Check out this Reddit thread for all the details - https://libredd.it/r/Windows11/comments ... ?context=3

Some quick notes:

- WSA Android version is 11.
- WSA takes up about 2GB of RAM when running a simple Android App. So be warned if your PC doesn't have much RAM.
- I quickly uninstalled the Amazon App Store and disabled some things like Contacts and Calendar that will not be used.
- Runs quite smoothly on my laggy Intel Core M laptop, although there are some graphical glitches every once in awhile.
- You can run adb to sideload apps.
- There doesn't appear to be the ability to run as root at the moment

Overall, I'm quite impressed so far. The lack of Google services is good from a privacy perspective, but for better app compatibility, hopefully microG can be installed. This would require signature spoofing, but it's only a matter of time before someone is able to get it working.
is it stealth? ;)

freakazoid

Re: Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA)

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Looks like the folks at Magisk and others have already got Magisk booting on WSA!

Once this is available, microG can use signature spoofing.
is it stealth? ;)