Windows 7 EOL

Any other tech-related topics
Midas

Re: Windows 7 EOL

#16 Post by Midas »

A software vulnerability nicknamed PrintDemon has recently been identified affecting various Windows versions, but particularly relevant to Windows 7 due do its current generally unsupported status.

PrintDemon allows a low-privileged user to create a printer port pointing to a file, and then print to that port. If the user has insufficient permissions for writing to said file, Print Spooler service will do that as Local System upon computer restart.

A company named 0patch is providing patches and workarounds for this and other similar issues, some of them for free. For an updated list of these patches, see:

What I failed to understand up to now is the easy way to install at least the free ones... :sleepy:

rbon

#17 Post by rbon »

Midas wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:31 pm What I failed to understand up to now is the easy way to install at least the free ones... :sleepy:
In my opinion you must register to PATCH CENTRAL for download free micropatches:
1. Sign In to 0patch : https://central.0patch.com/auth/login
2. go to Pricing page: https://0patch.com/pricing.html
3. if you choice the FREE plan you can download the installer '0PatchInstaller_19.11.15.10650.msi' of 3,111 KB and install it 8)
• direct download link: https://0patch.com/download.htm
4. download the free patches trough the 0Patch Installer (FREE Agent):
-> the installer tell you download links
-> (I think) you must to be registered for to be authorized to download the free micropatches

References
• Email: info@0patch.com
• Support: support@0patch.com

I suggest you to send and email to 0Patch and ask him how to exactly works his service. :wink:

BTW
the FREE profile is for: personal and non-profit educational use only, also for private users.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the breakdown, rbon. :sunglasses:

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

AndTheWolf reports (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2119#comment31126) that in versions newer than v3.48, Calibre no longer supports Windows 7.

It's a first, at least for me... :unamused:

JohnTHaller

#20 Post by JohnTHaller »

Midas wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:46 pm AndTheWolf reports (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2119#comment31126) that in versions newer than v3.48, Calibre no longer supports Windows 7.

It's a first, at least for me... :unamused:
The current 4.21.0 release does run on a clean Windows 7 install fully updated with no other apps/libraries needed. I'd wager the team doesn't want to test/officially support Windows 7 any longer now that it has reached end of life. I'll be testing each release in a clean VM as packaged for calibre Portable and will be noting in the release announcement if this changes. If it does stop working on Win7, I'll likely package the last calibre that works on Windows 7 alongside the current version in the PortableApps.com package.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

Although I am not a user of Calibre myself, I thank you for the info and for the continued support of Windows 7 users, JohnTHaller. :pray:

JohnTHaller

#22 Post by JohnTHaller »

Midas wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:09 pm Although I am not a user of Calibre myself, I thank you for the info and for the continued support of Windows 7 users, JohnTHaller. :pray:
You're welcome. I try to make sure as many people can use stuff as possible for as long as possible. Same reason I do the dual mode apps with the last 32-bit version bundled for apps that only support 64-bit now. Same reason I re-enabled Windows 2000 support in the PortableApps.com Platform today after a bit of code and compiler tweaking.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

Quick note for post about Firefox dropping Windows 7 support with v116:

Midas

#24 Post by Midas »

Might be useful for someone: Simplix Update Pack 7.
This update pack allows you to update Windows 7 SP1 (x86 x64) and Server 2008 R2 SP1 live operating systems, as well as to integrate the updates in the distribution (Install.wim). It can be installed in any language. Includes all critical, recommended, and security updates and updates for all versions of Internet Explorer.