Looks like YouTube limiting downloads

Any other tech-related topics
bitcoin

Looks like YouTube limiting downloads

#1 Post by bitcoin »

tried to use 3DYD YouTube downloader and got the message "daily limit exceeded" or something like that

went to the 3DYD website and apparently YouTube wants you to sign up for API key or something

webfork

Re: Looks like YouTube limiting downloads

#2 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:05 pm tried to use 3DYD YouTube downloader and got the message "daily limit exceeded" or something like that

went to the 3DYD website and apparently YouTube wants you to sign up for API key or something
This is an ongoing back-and-forth between downloaders and Youtube. Because tools like 3DYD can work faster than Google (which is focused on userdata and not DRM), it will very likely be resolved in the next update.

Still, good to know that there are issues with one of the video downloaders.

__philippe

#3 Post by __philippe »

Old faithful Youtube-DL (CLI) currently sails through downloads like a charm, free of any "daily limit" | API key nonsense :D

Local usage tidbits

Specular

#4 Post by Specular »

Wouldn't be surprised if the program used the same developer API token for everyone, since I know there are usage limits for such tokens for Google and various other sites. The dev of an imgur uploader I use for example used an API key for the program for all users and at a certain point it reached some threshold and errored (so I turned to a fork with a replacement API key since the original dev went AWOL :P).
__philippe wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 am Old faithful Youtube-DL (CLI) currently sails through downloads like a charm, free of any "daily limit" | API key nonsense :D
Yeah. I think they use continually up-to-date stream detection methods to extract the appropriate raw stream sources from sites.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

__philippe wrote: Old faithful Youtube-DL (CLI) currently sails through downloads like a charm, free of any "daily limit" | API key nonsense...

I thought so. Whenever something is apparently not working with Youtube-dl, "youtube-dl -U" usually clears it in a ziff... :)

__philippe

#6 Post by __philippe »

AND...the 2020 nominee for TPFC CLI DB Hall of Fame IS...

Spoiler!   

bitcoin

#7 Post by bitcoin »

Specular wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:24 am Wouldn't be surprised if the program used the same developer API token for everyone, since I know there are usage limits for such tokens for Google and various other sites. The dev of an imgur uploader I use for example used an API key for the program for all users and at a certain point it reached some threshold and errored (so I turned to a fork with a replacement API key since the original dev went AWOL :P).
that might be it. 3DYD linked these two as explanation:

https://yd.3dyd.com/help/known_problems ... on_Youtube
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/155 ... 1#15580411

ii noticed lately that Virus Total Hash Check was returning an error if i asked for a rescan of a file and until about a month ago i never had a problem. VT Hash check uses an API key for VT, which iirc is owned by Google too.