You're all wonderful

Any other tech-related topics
Specular

You're all wonderful

#1 Post by Specular »

Just felt like creating a topic in appreciation of all those who make the PF site worthwhile ;) There are so many tireless contributions to the database as well as the various, more occasional users who both suggest and post about portable software that it continues to be an excellent resource for finding software to suit needs/tasks one is looking to solve.

It's always a nice feeling to come across a page on the web that continues to be maintained for the sake of keeping users updated on what has changed, other recommendations and such. So much of the web has become ephemeral, with it not being that rare for URLs to break after mere months, that a certain stability is nice to return to.

Not much else to say, kind of a spur of the moment thing, but cheers to everyone for making the site tick :)

nickoftime

Re: You're all wonderful

#2 Post by nickoftime »

I agree 100%. This post is long overdue...

There are so many who spend countless hours making the site the best in class. Although I am not an active contributor, I really appreciate the efforts of so many, making this my daily 'go-to' site for my evolving suite of portable Windows applications.

A million thanks from a long-time user :)

juverax

#3 Post by juverax »

Agreed!
An invaluable resource. Thank you TPFC.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Thanks for the kind words, that means a lot. I definitely agree with the status of an ephemeral web -- I hope we can maintain our status as a quality resource for a long time to come. I also get lost sometime thinking about how I haven't been able to follow through on ~10 different efforts to push portable software back into the fore, but really we've got a lot of good right here and now. Plus, developers keep making their hard work available for free and someone's got to put a spotlight on them early or they too can become ephemeral.

Thanks juverax, nickoftime, and Specular.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

The occasional kind words is a wonderful thing! :D

This site is truly a community effort. Wouldn't be possible without everyone's contributions.

CornHolio the Gringo

#6 Post by CornHolio the Gringo »

I espesially wanna point out webfork`s long efforts to this site. Hes longtime involment in everything ongoing, and his great analytic and nevtral sayings to any member.

Love Ya Man!

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

webfork wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:26 pmThanks for the kind words, that means a lot.
Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:12 pm The occasional kind words is a wonderful thing! :D

This site is truly a community effort. Wouldn't be possible without everyone's contributions.
:)

Also wanted to thank billion for their recent entry updating. I just submitted a new entry earlier and by the time it was approved billion had already quietly improved it with several tweaks. There are a core of great users like that who've kept entries polished. Appreciate you all!

bitcoin

#8 Post by bitcoin »

Specular wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:36 am Just felt like creating a topic in appreciation of all those who make the PF site worthwhile ;) There are so many tireless contributions to the database as well as the various, more occasional users who both suggest and post about portable software that it continues to be an excellent resource for finding software to suit needs/tasks one is looking to solve.

It's always a nice feeling to come across a page on the web that continues to be maintained for the sake of keeping users updated on what has changed, other recommendations and such. So much of the web has become ephemeral, with it not being that rare for URLs to break after mere months, that a certain stability is nice to return to.

Not much else to say, kind of a spur of the moment thing, but cheers to everyone for making the site tick :)
agree

imo there should be an effort to increase the traffic to TPFC so that new users will be found to help contribute. Maybe something like a free premium program giveaway every month, just register an account to be in a drawing etc. Many software companies would probably be interested if there was a banner ad of their product at the top of the page for a few weeks or a month - free advertisement for a few licenses.

Emka

#9 Post by Emka »

bitcoin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 am imo there should be an effort to increase the traffic to TPFC so that new users will be found to help contribute. Maybe something like a free premium program giveaway every month, just register an account to be in a drawing etc.
Not a bad idea at all. I know some other vaguely tech-related forums that try/tried to increase traffic and registration by drawings.

Emka

#10 Post by Emka »

P.S.: Yes, it's and you're wonderful. My times of contributions may sadly be over for now due to family reasons, but I still follow the site every day and appreciate the work that is being done here a lot.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Emka wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 pm P.S.: Yes, it's and you're wonderful. My times of contributions may sadly be over for now due to family reasons, but I still follow the site every day and appreciate the work that is being done here a lot.
No worries -- we all have people that need us and we're glad to have you when you're available.

jdave1842

#12 Post by jdave1842 »

This site is very helpful and is surely a wonderful effort by the community