Need downloader

Any other tech-related topics
colore

Need downloader

#1 Post by colore »

Hello!

Can you tell me please a downloader that will allow me to import a list of urls, download them with a delay between each download and also it will allow me to import a cookie for the downloads to work?

DownthemAll is good but it doesn't allow me to specify a delay between the downloads and I get banned from the server.

thanks!

webfork

Re: Need downloader

#2 Post by webfork »

Unfortunately I haven't found a better tool than DownThemAll. I couldn't figure out how to create a delay between downloads, but there is a way to lower the server usage in a way that might not trigger an auto-ban.

bitcoin

#3 Post by bitcoin »

JDownloader portable has many options, best downloader i've used

lintalist

#4 Post by lintalist »

I've always enjoyed wackget https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=968 as you can simply paste a list from the clipboard (or load via a file) but it doesn't have a "pause between downloads". But you can still use w(ack)get (wackget is just a frontend for the wget).
Wget is a cmd line tool - you can download copies here https://eternallybored.org/misc/wget/ (or google wget windows to find more info and other locations) doesn't really matter much which version for simple downloading.
Edit: see this forums wget thread here viewtopic.php?t=20900 as noted by midas below.

All you would need to do is turn your list of urls into a batch file:

wget url1
timeout /t 5
wget url2
timeout /t 5

More about timeout here https://ss64.com/nt/timeout.html above example waits 5 seconds, you can make it longer or add "random" times.
Note wget has many options including cookies and for example setting the user agent to make it look like a browser instead of wget, consult the extensive docs (man pages)

You could also use CURL (just google it) instead of wget as it is a similar program

If you use AutoHotkey you can do the same using UrlDownloadToFile and Sleep commands

If it is a task you have to do often create a small helper batch file or macro in your text editor (or of course AutoHotkey)
Last edited by lintalist on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Nice tips there, lintalist. 8)

FYI, we have a forum topic devoted to wget updates (viewtopic.php?t=20900, which also points to CURL windows binaries) -- but as you said it doesn't really matter which version you use for simple downloads.

Although I'd advise placing it in the Windows folder (or include it's location in the '%PATH%' environment variable) for easy access from any console window...
bitcoin wrote: JDownloader portable has many options, best downloader i've used
I'd be tempted to agree, if only my portable Jdownloader folder didn't take a whopping 450MB. :shock:

Of course that includes a local version of Java but still way more than the less than 5MB wget requires.

bitcoin

#6 Post by bitcoin »

Midas wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:53 pm
bitcoin wrote: JDownloader portable has many options, best downloader i've used
I'd be tempted to agree, if only my portable Jdownloader folder didn't take a whopping 450MB. :shock:

Of course that includes a local version of Java but still way more than the less than 5MB wget requires.
mine is only 307 MB here

very slow to load up though even with an SSD, with regular HDD it seems like about 15-20 seconds before it appears

Cryptomann

#7 Post by Cryptomann »

I visit a website regularly to download music files (FLAC). I was advised to use a download manager like DownThemAll.

So I installed it, went to the website where my downloads resided, and went to Tools - DownThemAll.

The two FLAC files that were available for download were checked. The destination folder existed, and I clicked on Start.

But nothing was downloaded but some small HTML file.

Can someone please enlighten me on how to get DownThemAll to download the files that were selected?

Thank you.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

> I visit a website regularly to download music files (FLAC). I was advised to use a download manager like DownThemAll.

Care to share some details about the location? Also, did you set your filters for media (specifically) files? You shouldn't have downloaded an HTM file at all if that was setup right.