Opera Presto source code leaked

Any other tech-related topics
Zero3K

Re: Opera Presto source code leaked

#31 Post by Zero3K »

A new build of Opera 12.15 is now available at [Moderator Note: link removed] which has its OpenSSL upgraded to 1.0.2l.

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

Zero3K wrote:A new build of Opera 12.15 is now available at [Moderator Note: link removed] which has its OpenSSL upgraded to 1.0.2l.
I'm a little confused why you willingly modified your earlier posts to take down direct links to the illegal Opera download but then just started adding them again. Changing the URL to put XX's where to replace HTTP's didn't seem to me like a substantive difference.

Whatever your reasoning, continuing to post that will mean not being able to post on the site any longer.

Zero3K

#33 Post by Zero3K »

Here is a link to the latest 4Chan thread that I made regarding it:

<<Link removed by mod>>

Zero3K

#34 Post by Zero3K »

Here's a link to the latest 4Chan thread that I made regarding it:

<<Link removed by mod>>

Andrew Lee

#35 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Zero3K: I would very much prefer that links to obviously illegal content NOT be posted on TPFC. Otherwise, if everyone else starts sharing torrents of illegal bits in the Chit-Chat forum, it would become quite a headache for us.

Thanks!

Zero3K

#36 Post by Zero3K »

Okay. Is there anyone who wants to work on it?

Zero3K

#37 Post by Zero3K »

I have made a Kickstarter for it. It can be seen at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zero3k/opera-1215/.

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

Zero3K wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:29 am I have made a Kickstarter for it. It can be seen at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zero3k/opera-1215/.
So I guess Zero3K is Bryan? I'm guessing because there's an old screenshot of our Presto entry (sans the warning posted there now) is on the front page of the Kickstarter page. So whomever is creating that Kickstarter seems to know about us. If so: Bryan, I'm glad that you're trying to do something everyone here wishes would happen, but I really want to encourage you to put your efforts elsewhere. Your linked web page says the following:
Kickstarter home page wrote:There are no risks or challenges associated with this project.
I can think of some possible concerns ...
  • Opera's stated policy about use of the leaked source code: https://blogs.opera.com/security/2017/0 ... ing-sites/
  • Even if the source code were not at issue (see: https://blogs.opera.com/security/2017/0 ... ing-sites/), you're actively using the Opera Trademark. There is for example a reason that no one else has put out a program called Internet Explorer. Even if it wasn't a browser, the naming and logos are owned by Microsoft. From the Opera TOS: "The Opera word mark and the Opera, Opera News, and “O” logos are trademarks of Opera Software AS (a Norwegian company) ... you agree not to display or use the Opera Marks in any manner. https://www.opera.com/terms
  • Even if somehow source code and trademarks were not an issue, any 3rd party licensed software (such as the Bittorrent component, location-awareness, or other tools) would need to be removed. Even Mozilla had to get a donated license from Cisco to just play MP4 video.
  • Even if the legality of the above items were in some sense unclear or on-the-fence, I don't expect Kickstarter will go to bat for you. This is a probably against the Kickstarter TOS: https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use and they'll just abruptly terminate the project.
Finally, if I'm way off course here and all of the above don't become an issue, do you really feel up to effectively patching a unique browser software from 7 years ago, including Javascript, PDF, and other types of vulnerabilities? Do you know how to address issues from serious Heartbleed and Spectre more than just updating the SSL/TLS libraries? Browser security is non-simple.

---

For reference, the browser EULA from back in 2017 before the Presto engine was retired: https://web.archive.org/web/20170715145 ... .com/terms

Zero3K

#39 Post by Zero3K »

1. I have a developer that can work on it.
2. I can probably have him change the Icon, Logo, etc. if its really needed.
3. What if those components are open source?

Midas

#40 Post by Midas »

I would hate to be the one raining on anyone's parade but I have to agree the prospects for independent browser projects are not looking bright... I'll just let the following article enumerate a few major problems. :cry:

The web is not merely reduced to five giant sites, each filled from screenshots from the other four, it's also a near-monoculture of browsers, almost all of them controlled by tech giants who have been complicit in both commercial and state surveillance...

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

Zero3K wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm 2. I can probably have him change the Icon, Logo, etc. if its really needed.
That would work if you were forking a project that had an open license like the GPL or MPL. For example, you're welcome to create your own browser using one of those licenses (as happened with IceCat), but you can't call it "Mozilla Firefox" and you can't use their icons. Opera had no interest in giving away their source code, has a proprietary license, and likely thinks of trademark as just one more way to protect their intellectual property.
Zero3K wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm 3. What if those components are open source?
If you look at the link above, you'll see the Mozilla MP4 player was in fact open source. That's different than having a license. There are many programs that allow users to view the code, but don't allow authorization to use or modify. That may sound odd, but it's often done to ensure there are no backdoors. Opera might have done that with some of it's partners who were willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement. I suspect that's where the leaked source code may have come from.
Midas wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:49 am I would hate to be the one raining on anyone's parade but I have to agree the prospects for independent browser projects are not looking bright... :cry:
Agreed. I really wish (as stated earlier in the thread) that none of this was an issue and that Opera would voluntarily open up their old code. I suspect the only reason they haven't is because of legal agreements with other companies, and because a very successful updated version of their old browser would compete with their new Chromium-based offer.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitcoin

#42 Post by bitcoin »

Opera 12 was probably my favorite browser, so many options - back then the designers were actually trying to serve the customer

had a txt or ini file that you could use as a URL filter - just add whatever sites you wanted to block

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:39 pm Opera 12 was probably my favorite browser, so many options - back then the designers were actually trying to serve the customer

had a txt or ini file that you could use as a URL filter - just add whatever sites you wanted to block
You're definitely not alone. It was maybe the most important / popular topic on this site for several years running, and inspired a lot of love and loyalty. Your post inspired me to put together an index of all the Opera threads over time.

bitcoin

#44 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 pm
bitcoin wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:39 pm Opera 12 was probably my favorite browser, so many options - back then the designers were actually trying to serve the customer

You're definitely not alone. It was maybe the most important / popular topic on this site for several years running, and inspired a lot of love and loyalty. Your post inspired me to put together an index of all the Opera threads over time.
thanks

Zero3K

#45 Post by Zero3K »

I have made a new forum for it. You can visit it at https://presto.jcink.net/.