Yahoo was hacked again

#1 Post by smaragdus »

Again:

Yahoo Says 1 Billion User Accounts Were Hacked

Yahoo hack: 1bn accounts compromised by biggest data breach in history

'One billion' affected by Yahoo hack

Yahoo discloses hack of 1 billion accounts

Yahoo sets hack record at 1 billion accounts

The ongoing "Yahoo hacking contest" is becoming boring.

There is no point at all to use long and sophisticated passwords when the service cannot secure them.

webfork

Re: Yahoo was hacked again

#2 Post by webfork »

I have one remaining old Yahoo account, which I held onto out of pure laziness. I will be shutting that down momentarily.

appsuser

#3 Post by appsuser »

I just find it funny that they're admitting to it now. I have a Yahoo account I've always used just for websites I knew that would send me spam mail. I've had that account compromised probably about three or four times. I've always told people, for years, to not use Yahoo mail because of the lack of security on their systems.

JohnTHaller

#4 Post by JohnTHaller »

This wasn't a new hack it seems. It's still the hack from 3 years ago. It's just one billion accounts now instead of 500m accounts.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

aimeusdietger

#5 Post by aimeusdietger »

smaragdus wrote:Again:

Yahoo Says 1 Billion User Accounts Were Hacked

Yahoo hack: 1bn accounts compromised by biggest data breach in history

[Spam links deleted]

The ongoing "Yahoo hacking contest" is becoming boring.

There is no point at all to use long and sophisticated passwords when the service cannot secure them.
It is probably about time that we all quit using our yahoo accounts because they don't seem bothered about their security system. And they wonder why gmail is totally winning in this industry. Did they eventually fix the issue?
Last edited by aimeusdietger on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

aimeusdietger wrote:Did they eventually fix the issue?
Sort of. There's such a thing as following all the steps to deal with a breach and still not seeing the big picture. It's kind of like installing a security system in your home after a break-in but not changing your behavior. It's a common problem that security precautions are seen as unnecessary when companies struggle against external and internal pressure to produce. Yahoo's approach in particular and their attitude after failures suggests they just didn't take it seriously (nytimes).

This might turn around under a sale to Verizon but I wouldn't hold my breath.