Simple video editor for simple task

Any other tech-related topics
__philippe

Re: Simple video editor for simple task

#16 Post by __philippe »

Specular wrote:I'd use ffmpeg. It's one line, does the job, and many times what other programs are using behind the scenes anyway.
@Specular

Thanks for your ffmpeg one-liner solution.
Elegant and concise answer to the OP initial requirement.

Apt illustration of CLI gratifying terse power where coupled with a judicious selection of the right tool for the job.

3K3

#17 Post by 3K3 »

There is also MP4Box (installer can be extracted by 7-Zip).

Command line to create video file:
mp4box -add "ImageFilePath" -add "AudioFilePath" "OutputFilePath"

JnLlnd

#18 Post by JnLlnd »

@Specular: ffmpeg does the job very well. Much slower than Movie Maker, however. But the possibility to make it run in batch is very interesting. I have about 50 one-hour audio content to convert. Thanks again.

@3K3: I could not find in the doc which switches would take a JPG file and convert it to video input. And the doc says:
MP4Box does NOT perform audio/video/image transcoding (re-encoding media tracks to a different coded format). If you need to transcode content, you will need other tools.
I interpret it as "does not convert an image to video". I may be wrong.

Specular

#19 Post by Specular »

JnLlnd wrote:@Specular: ffmpeg does the job very well. Much slower than Movie Maker, however. But the possibility to make it run in batch is very interesting. I have about 50 one-hour audio content to convert. Thanks again.
Encoding the video takes the longest, at least in the shorter 3-5 minutes clips I usually create. If you don't need it to be 1920px wide setting a smaller width will improve encoding times.

Also, as I wasn't sure if you'd be comfortable with the CLI solution initially I set the options to transcode any audio into AAC, to make sure the audio regardless of format gets converted. However if you know the source will always be either AAC or MP3 specifically you can copy the audio without transcoding by using:

Code: Select all

-acodec copy
As the MP4 container natively supports both AAC and MP3. The command in full:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i image.jpg -i audio.mp3 -c:v libx264 -tune stillimage -vf scale=1920:-1 -acodec copy -pix_fmt yuv420p -shortest output.mp4
Example output (with 192kbps audio, the same as the source input).

JnLlnd

#20 Post by JnLlnd »

Also, as I wasn't sure if you'd be comfortable with the CLI solution initially I set the options to transcode any audio into AAC, to make sure the audio regardless of format gets converted. However if you know the source will always be either AAC or MP3 specifically you can copy the audio without transcoding by using:

-acodec copy
Yes, that's exactly what I needed. Encoding 50 one-hour files in a batch will run overnight, no problem! Thanks again.