Discord - voice and text chat

Any other tech-related topics
demon.devin

Re: Discord

#31 Post by demon.devin »

SYSTEM wrote:added a link to demon.devin's wrapper.
Cool. Thank you! :D

SYSTEM

#32 Post by SYSTEM »

BTW, I'm now using demon.devin's wrapper myself. I got yet another AV false positive with crazy-max's wrapper, and at this point I'm fed up of them.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

demon.devin

#33 Post by demon.devin »

I've recently just got in touch with Crazy-Max who informed me that the false-positive's are a result of the programming language he uses which is Go. He goes on to say..
the only issue i've found with Golang is the heuristic / false positive detection by antivirus (for 32bit artifacts) but it will be solved in the next release of Go
So don't write off Crazy-Max's builds just yet. His take on portable programs was so interesting to me that I had to invite him to our little programming community. His little framework for portable applications is geared towards software built using Electron which has been my little focus recently too. 8)

webfork

#34 Post by webfork »

So there are 3 files in the download page marked as portable. I've got Avast quarantining the discord-portable-ia32-0.0.299-17-setup.exe file and there's a VirusTotal analysis of discord-portable-ia32.exe but that doesn't seem to function on my Win7x32 machine.

I'm asking partly for myself but also to know which one of these we're suggesting people use in the entry.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

Also just checked out the demon.devin version and it looks like the program is actually attached to a separate website:

Specifically http:// softables. tk, which has the title PortableAppz across the top:

Is the same PortableAppz as portableappz. blogspot .com (link intentionally broken)?

EDIT: Did a bit more digging and it doesn't look like they're connected but it would have been good to know earlier on that this was part of an obviously bigger project.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

demon.devin

#36 Post by demon.devin »

webfork wrote:Also just checked out the demon.devin version and it looks like the program is actually attached to a separate website
That's my dedicated website for all my projects online, but mainly it is a place I house my portable applications.

I am in no way affiliated with Bernat and/or PortableAppz. blogspot .com but I do link to his page at the bottom of my website.

The reason I have "PortableAppz" as the top image is because my domain was originally http://portableappz.zxq.net 10 years ago but the hosting service for that website just suddenly disappeared along with all my work (I was so mad but I guess that's the risk you take when using a free shared hosting service ..lol.). I then moved to http://portableappz.x10.mx/ (which still works but points you to Softables.tk/).

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

EDIT: Thanks to a user who messaged me on Discord, the username below has been fixed.

---

So I'm testing out Discord now. I can be reached there (as "webfork#5622") if anyone wants to chat for some reason. I'm hanging out in the ShareX channel.

I should note that this is not a kid-friendly program, but I have to admit despite a terrible color scheme and way too many doo-dads it seems to be coming in as a replacement for IRC.
webfork wrote:So there are 3 files in the download page marked as portable. I've got Avast quarantining the discord-portable-ia32-0.0.299-17-setup.exe file and there's a VirusTotal analysis of discord-portable-ia32.exe but that doesn't seem to function on my Win7x32 machine.

I'm asking partly for myself but also to know which one of these we're suggesting people use in the entry.
I retested and it's working fine. I'm recommending the "setup" file (entry edited).

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

This may be old news, but the program is now supporting video as well as voice. I've updated the entry and added a few additional feature notes. I don't love the program but I acknowledge it's taking over in a vacuum created between a host of disappearing IM services, as well as a bulky and confusing Steam client.

Yevgeniy

#39 Post by Yevgeniy »

the best app for gamers, we've used it every day by our clan, comfortable voice chat, better than teamspeaker

Special

#40 Post by Special »

webfork wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:23 pm This may be old news, but the program is now supporting video as well as voice. I've updated the entry and added a few additional feature notes. I don't love the program but I acknowledge it's taking over in a vacuum created between a host of disappearing IM services, as well as a bulky and confusing Steam client.
Discord's the new Facebook.
Yevgeniy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:31 am the best app for gamers, we've used it every day by our clan, comfortable voice chat, better than teamspeaker
For Generation Y gamers I guess, I still rock IRC with my group of friends. Also I hope you all opted out of Discord's new terms of service that were updated recently that revokes your right to sue Discord... You only had 30 days from when it changed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/discordapp/com ... ht_to_sue/

Yevgeniy

#41 Post by Yevgeniy »

I can't use play market in my country, so I've fond discord here http://discord-chat-for-gamers.uptrivia ... s/android/

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

Current download from the Portapps site for this one is not functioning. Tested on Win7x86 -- it's stuck on the updater screen. [Edit: this was resolved.]

I've used the installer client on a neighboring machine (Mac) so I know the service is fine.

SYSTEM

#43 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 pm Current download from the Portapps site for this one is not functioning. Tested on Win7x86 -- it's stuck on the updater screen.

I've used the installer client on a neighboring machine (Mac) so I know the service is fine.
It worked fine on my PC (Win10x64). Maybe some sort of incompatibility with Windows 7?
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#44 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 pm It worked fine on my PC (Win10x64). Maybe some sort of incompatibility with Windows 7?
It must be -- I just retested with the same result

bitcoin

#45 Post by bitcoin »

Special wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:28 pm Also I hope you all opted out of Discord's new terms of service that were updated recently that revokes your right to sue Discord... You only had 30 days from when it changed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/discordapp/com ... ht_to_sue/
lol

anyone considering discord should understand that they aren't trustworthy. They are apparently left wing loons and if they don't like your politics what you say in chat may get conveniently leaked to your enemies, who may then use it against you in court