Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics

Midas

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#257 Post by Midas »

Another interesting article from the same source:

Windows 10 Now Looking like Windows XP Because Good Operating Systems Never Die... :)
news.softpedia.com
/news/windows-10-now-looking-like-windows-xp-because-good-operating-systems-never-die-515543.shtml

__philippe

Re: Good Old XP

#258 Post by __philippe »

Even staid business publications are praising Microsoft surprising move to provide a specific security update for Good Old XP, (16-year-Old, actually),
after support was discontinued back in 2014

from FORBES :

Microsoft Did Something Unexpected To Protect Windows Users From WannaCrypt Ransomware

webfork

Re: Good Old XP

#259 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote:Even staid business publications are praising Microsoft surprising move to provide security update for Good Old XP, (16-year-Old, actually)
I'm not super surprised given that this is a PR nightmare for Microsoft. Here they've spent millions to scrub their reputation as being insecure by design versus Mac and Linux and now one coordinated attack could take all that away. You should definitely expect any group thinking about running a pure Windows shop to hesitate.
midas wrote:Another interesting article from the same source: Windows 10 Now Looking like Windows XP Because Good Operating Systems Never Die
That's awesome. I'm definitely going to make that happen when I eventually move to Win10.
Last edited by webfork on Sat May 13, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (added xp bit)

__philippe

Good Old XP - June 13th critical updates

#260 Post by __philippe »

Microsoft just announced yet another unexpected release of critical updates for out-of-support XP and Vista
(no less than 12 distinct KB patches, addressing sundry vulnerabilities)

MS official "Guidance for older platforms" details here.

ArsTechnica's Dan Goodin offers an interesting opinion on the controversial subject of continuing out-of-support products updates.

ArsTechnica's Peter Bright maintains a contrarian view.

This unusual out-of-support update comes amidst a flurry of security updates released for in-support systems, as discussed here.

SYSTEM

#261 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote:Eugene Kaspersky - That’s It. I’ve Had Enough! - Microsoft kills off independent software vendors by foisting its products on users that are in no way better
Microsoft has responded: https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech ... -Antivirus
Jeremy Hellstrom wrote: Microsoft replied with their view of this dispute, stating that they do indeed disable antivirus programs when there is a risk that a Windows update would stop the third party antivirus from running anyways.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#262 Post by Midas »

Intriguing read into the brave new world of the latest Windows: :shock:

joby_toss

#263 Post by joby_toss »

I'm also experiencing some issues with latest windows 10 updates (creator's update or whatever it's called): poor performance in games (Diablo 3 for example starts 10 times slower than before, hangs randomly and overheats my machine, unlike before) and also CPU usage while watching a youtube video went from 2-3% to a whooping 30%. I have no drive to investigate or do whatever... don't really care anymore...

Userfriendly

#264 Post by Userfriendly »

joby_toss wrote:I'm also experiencing some issues with latest windows 10 updates (creator's update or whatever it's called): poor performance in games (Diablo 3 for example starts 10 times slower than before, hangs randomly and overheats my machine, unlike before) and also CPU usage while watching a youtube video went from 2-3% to a whooping 30%. I have no drive to investigate or do whatever... don't really care anymore...
Turn off the Game Bar and Game Mode. Find it in Settings > Gaming. Worth a shot. Its probably the cause. Also update graphics drivers as usual.

smaragdus

#265 Post by smaragdus »

More good news for Windows 10 users:
Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/18/windo ... n-this-pc/

webfork

#266 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:More good news for Windows 10 users: Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC
Yeah I saw that too. That's very frustrating.

Userfriendly

#267 Post by Userfriendly »

smaragdus wrote:More good news for Windows 10 users: Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC
I wouldn't solely put the blame on Microsoft for this one.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/07 ... date-ever/
The bad news is that the block on the Creators Update appears to be permanent. The problem is the GPU drivers; Clover Trail Atoms use GPU technology licensed from Imagination Technologies. Imagination appears unwilling, and Intel appears unable, to update the GPU drivers to meet the demands of the Creators Update. So systems built with such hardware will never be upgradable beyond the Anniversary Update.

The good news is that Microsoft has said that it will provide such systems with security fixes until 2023, thereby reinstating the supported lifetime that such machines were supposed to have in the first place. Luckily for Microsoft, the Anniversary Update already had a corresponding long-term servicing branch version (LTSB), so the company was already intending to release security fixes for this version of Windows until 2023.
Intel/Imagination won't provide updated drivers so Microsoft has no choice but to block Creators Update from installing. But they will still provide security fixes for the Anniversary Update version until 2023. This is just planned obsolescence by hardware manufacturers. Nothing surprising here.

Anyone using these old low end mobile devices wouldn't care about this anyway.

SYSTEM

#268 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote:Eugene Kaspersky - That’s It. I’ve Had Enough! - Microsoft kills off independent software vendors by foisting its products on users that are in no way better
Microsoft will stop disabling third-party AVs in the Fall Creators Update, and Kaspersky has withdrawn their complaint: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... -10-tweaks

SYSTEM

#269 Post by SYSTEM »

Userfriendly wrote:
joby_toss wrote:I'm also experiencing some issues with latest windows 10 updates (creator's update or whatever it's called): poor performance in games (Diablo 3 for example starts 10 times slower than before, hangs randomly and overheats my machine, unlike before) and also CPU usage while watching a youtube video went from 2-3% to a whooping 30%. I have no drive to investigate or do whatever... don't really care anymore...
Turn off the Game Bar and Game Mode. Find it in Settings > Gaming. Worth a shot. Its probably the cause. Also update graphics drivers as usual.
Microsoft has admitted that Creators Update introduced gaming performance issues, and published one fix to Insiders: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-a ... ors-update

Napiophelios

#270 Post by Napiophelios »

well I finally had to give up my xp machine
I have been using Win10 for about a week now,
and I can't say it's a bad OS....but I just don't like it.

It's a "modern" OS so everything from GitHub desktop to Chromium to Blender works without a glitch...that's nice enough.
I also like being able to watch my xbox movies on the desktop...that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's smooth as butter; the new computer has awesome specs compared to my old one
so it handles the OS very well.
I just don't like the "feel" of it, if that's even such a thing.

I just took Peppermint 8 for a test drive...and It's pretty awesome
I just need to learn about setting up my wifi before I switch over.
that's the only problem I ran in to, it doesn't recognize my hardware.
Wish me luck!