Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics
Userfriendly

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#46 Post by Userfriendly »

joby_toss wrote:Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Home Will Install All Updates Automatically
http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 7172.shtml

They think I'm too stupid to tweak my windows... I'm afraid to buy the home version now. :D

P.S. wondering if OneDrive synchronization is also automatic... ;)
:roll: One of the few things they didn't have to change. Now they decide to remove options and take a few steps backwards. I understand they want casual users to continue to be updated but at least let power users be able to selectively choose when and what updates to install.

Been playing around with the Windows 10 Pro build 10240 and I can disable auto updates in group policy but updates are still either all or nothing. You just can't choose what to install. Really sucks. There's an option in Pro to "defer upgrades" but that's not really useful.

Microsoft you dummy, so close to being just about perfect and you do stuff like this... It's the simplest of things and you screw it up. I just can't understand it...

Userfriendly

#47 Post by Userfriendly »

On top of the forced Windows Updates with buggy updates and buggy nvidia drivers. It seems like the Windows 10 Start Menu Search is inferior to the one in Windows 8.1.

In Win 8.1, I can pin my portable apps on the Start Screen and they can be searchable by typing and it works even if indexing is disabled. Actually most settings and apps are still searchable in 8.1 even with indexing/windows search service off. With Win 10 on the other hand, 99% of the apps I pin on the start menu tile grid can't be searched because they don't show up in the "All Apps" menu. Turn off indexing in Win 10 and you can't search anything at all in the start menu. Well you can search the internet with bing from there if enabled...

It's a given installed apps will show up in the 'All Apps' menu but for some reason whenever I pin Halite.exe, it DOES show up in 'All Apps' and even the "recently added apps' list and thus it is searchable. Another exception is .bat file shortcuts I manually put in the start menu folder also show up in the 'All Apps' menu.

I've tried everything from rebuilding my index database to disabling and re-enabling the service and no dice. It almost seems like Shortcut .lnk files is not being indexed or something. I hope this is some bug that gets fixed with updates and not some intended "feature".

edit: my problem seems to related to this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... fdf?auth=1

But one of the answers say apps don't show or diseapper from menu if you have over 512 but I only have about 300...
Last edited by Userfriendly on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#48 Post by joby_toss »

Why the Hell Is Windows 10 Sharing My Wifi Passwords?
http://reviews.gizmodo.com/why-the-hell ... 1719900675

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Updates Cannot Be Stopped
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... c-updates/
For example: if Microsoft wants to build a new media player, RSS reader, mapping software, cookbook, boomerang or nuclear submarine into the core of Windows 10 it can and you have to install it.

So cool! :D

Userfriendly

#49 Post by Userfriendly »

joby_toss wrote:Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Updates Cannot Be Stopped
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... c-updates/
For example: if Microsoft wants to build a new media player, RSS reader, mapping software, cookbook, boomerang or nuclear submarine into the core of Windows 10 it can and you have to install it.

So cool! :D
Well it CAN be stopped... just disable the service and a specific regkey or if you have PRO you can configure it in group policy to 'Notify for download and notify for install'. The main problem is you can't CHOOSE what to install. There IS an option to disable driver updates but it's buried in the obscure device installation settings. But that didn't seem to work since WU still tried to install the latest buggy nvidia driver for me.

Also there is this tool which lets you hide updates. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Either way, if Microsoft keeps up with this update system, It's gonna be the same PR disaster as the removal of the start menu in Windows 8. The massive backlash is gonna make them backpedal real hard on this soon. Backpedaling seems to be what Microsoft is good at recently.

Midas

#50 Post by Midas »

Userfriendly wrote:Backpedaling seems to be what Microsoft is good at recently.
  • :lol:

joby_toss

#51 Post by joby_toss »

(Big) image with few win10 settings:
http://i.imgur.com/3tZKuAS.jpg

Userfriendly

#52 Post by Userfriendly »

joby_toss wrote:(Big) image with few win10 settings:
http://i.imgur.com/3tZKuAS.jpg
Disable Diagnostics Tracking Service for the telemetry stuff and Disable Real-Time Protection in gpedit.msc or the Windows Defender Service entirely. :D edit: also apparently disable dmwappushsvc as well. So dmwappushsvc and diagtrack.

Windows Activation seems to be tied to Hardware ID. I can do a clean install, skip entering keys, and its always activated as long as I did the install connected online. Microsoft probably has a database of Hardware ID's to reference which have been legit installs/upgrades. Only way you could probably transfer activation to a new set of hardware is to do phone activation or to do the upgrade process again. Not even sure if your old Win7 and 8 keys would still work for that.

joby_toss

#53 Post by joby_toss »

Midas

#54 Post by Midas »

The Free Software Foundation has just made public its appraisal of Windows 10:
  • Because it is fundamentally insecure and scoffs at privacy, Windows is an open window onto you. Because it locks users and independent experts out of the development process, it is also a locked door to your computer, and only Microsoft has the key.
Last edited by Midas on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Userfriendly

#55 Post by Userfriendly »

Midas wrote:The Free Software Foundation has just made public its appraisal of Windows 10:
"Microsoft uses draconian laws to prevent anyone from popping the hood on Windows and studying the source code that underlies it" I stopped reading right there. :roll: Do these people actually believe what they're saying? The FUD spouted in the article reeks of a cult-ish paranoia. Their stance on free software is too extreme. They sound like a communist movement.

freakazoid

#56 Post by freakazoid »

The thing is Windows wants to transition from a desktop-only OS to a hybrid, mobile OS that resembles Android's app ecosystem. They cannot attract app developers without an advertising ID (again, another Android copy).

Cortana is really MS's answer to Android's Google Now and Apple's Siri. I've never been a fan of these so-called personal assistants, but for those that like it, you sacrifice privacy for convenience.

At least, Windows gives you the option to disable these items and if you are super-paranoid, you can nuke Windows IPs with the HOSTS file or use a firewall.
is it stealth? ;)

skall

#58 Post by skall »

interresting links, although i have no faith in software switches at all. i stumbled over sudden reactivated settings in windows too often. a consequent way would be a permanent check + overwrite on every boot, well kind of a security service of its own in the end.

besides: does it also prevent pro and home versions from sending basic diagnostic and usage data? i heard they can not be disabled even via registry tweaks?

joby_toss

#59 Post by joby_toss »

Softpedia wrote:vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
survey.watson.microsoft.com
watson.live.com
watson.microsoft.com
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
compatexchange.cloudapp.net
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
a-0001.a-msedge.net
statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
corp.sts.microsoft.com
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
feedback.windows.com
feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
feedback.search.microsoft.com
rad.msn.com
preview.msn.com
ad.doubleclick.net
ads.msn.com
ads1.msads.net
ads1.msn.com
a.ads1.msn.com
a.ads2.msn.com
adnexus.net
adnxs.com
az361816.vo.msecnd.net
az512334.vo.msecnd.net

Userfriendly

#60 Post by Userfriendly »

Well a lot of the privacy stuff can be disabled in the regular settings menu's. Microsoft is pretty upfront with some of them even though the descriptions of what they do is vague. However you can cut out some more with some of these tweaks. You'll have to do some research on the tweaks to see which ones are legit, safe, maybe reversible if you don't decide to delete services, apps or files. I would think the host file blocking should do most of them.

Here's a batch to disable a few services, registry tweak to disable telemetry or basic if on home/pro, and disable some scheduled tasks. Check blackviper.com or batcmd.com for more info about what each service does if you wanna tweak more services.

Code: Select all

sc config diagtrack start= disabled
sc config dmwappushservice start= disabled

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting" /v "Disabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f 
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\WMR" /v "Disable" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\WMR" /v "Disable" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost\CreateObjectTask" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Uploader" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\Diagnostics" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\File History (maintenance mode)" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Sqm-Tasks" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyUpload" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /Disable

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\Office 15 Subscription Heartbeat" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetry\AgentFallBack2016" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetry\OfficeTelemetryAgentLogOn2016" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetryAgentFallBack" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetryAgentLogOn" /Disable
Host blocklist in alphabetical order :D

Code: Select all

# Microsoft Telemetry
0.0.0.0 134.170.30.202
0.0.0.0 137.116.81.24
0.0.0.0 204.79.197.200
0.0.0.0 23.218.212.69 
0.0.0.0 65.39.117.230
0.0.0.0 65.55.108.23 
0.0.0.0 a.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msn.com
0.0.0.0 a-0001.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0002.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0003.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0004.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0005.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0006.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0007.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0008.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0009.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 adnexus.net
0.0.0.0 adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 ads.msn.com
0.0.0.0 ads1.msads.net
0.0.0.0 ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 az361816.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0 az512334.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0 cdnjs.cloudflare.com.cdn.cloudflare.net
0.0.0.0 cdp1.public-trust.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 compatexchange.cloudapp.net
0.0.0.0 corp.sts.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 fe2.ws.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
0.0.0.0 feedback.search.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 feedback.windows.com
0.0.0.0 hostedocsp.globalsign.com
0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 li581-132.members.linode.com
0.0.0.0 msedge.net
0.0.0.0 msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 pre.footprintpredict.com
0.0.0.0 preview.msn.com
0.0.0.0 rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 settings-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 survey.watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
0.0.0.0 telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.live.com
0.0.0.0 watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.go.microsoft.akadns.net

# akamai may or may not be related to MS privacy stuff
0.0.0.0 a1621.g.akamai.net
0.0.0.0 a1856.g2.akamai.net
0.0.0.0 a1961.g.akamai.net
0.0.0.0 a23-218-212-69.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
0.0.0.0 a248.e.akamai.net
0.0.0.0 e2835.dspb.akamaiedge.net
0.0.0.0 e7341.g.akamaiedge.net
0.0.0.0 e7502.ce.akamaiedge.net
0.0.0.0 e8218.ce.akamaiedge.net
There's a whole lot more but I think the hosts blocking and a couple services should be enough for the privacy conscious. For the super paranoid? Man... steer clear of the internet.
Last edited by Userfriendly on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.