Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#226 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Microsoft kills off independent software vendors by foisting its products on users that are in no way better
Good post, thanks.

smaragdus

#227 Post by smaragdus »

smaragdus

#228 Post by smaragdus »

webfork

#229 Post by webfork »

There's a broader move in Russia against Microsoft (and against Western companies in general). We should probably expect that to continue.

More on the thread topic however is how Microsoft appears to be moving away from it's own command-prompt. I suspect it'll stick around in some format, but some of the instructions and how-tos listed here on the site will stop functioning as written.

wekonnoot

#231 Post by wekonnoot »

Microsoft now joined Linux Foundation. So what is its next move? Build portable software?

joby_toss

#232 Post by joby_toss »

Might be... we even made a topic discussing that: https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums ... =1&t=23188

wekonnoot

#233 Post by wekonnoot »

smaragdus wrote:Eugene Kaspersky's blog post has consequences- Russia Starts Microsoft Antivirus Investigation After Kaspersky Complaint.
Seems like a sound intelligence gathering strategy. Windows 10, get all the hooks in, lock out Anti-virus competitors and have free reign of every system with your software on it.
Last edited by wekonnoot on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#234 Post by joby_toss »

Chris Capossela wrote:We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective, but finding the right balance where you’re not stepping over the line of being too aggressive is something we tried and for a lot of the year I think we got it right, but there was one particular moment in particular where, you know, the red X in the dialog box which typically means you cancel didn’t mean cancel
So many jokers in this world...

SYSTEM

#235 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:
Chris Capossela wrote:We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective, but finding the right balance where you’re not stepping over the line of being too aggressive is something we tried and for a lot of the year I think we got it right, but there was one particular moment in particular where, you know, the red X in the dialog box which typically means you cancel didn’t mean cancel
So many jokers in this world...
IMO, Microsoft already went too far earlier than that, when they removed the explicit "No thanks" button. It created the illusion that declining the upgrade is not possible.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#236 Post by joby_toss »

Microsoft Reduces the Amount of Telemetry Data Collected from Windows 10 PCs

I'm still not sure if a MS account is mandatory or not for being able to change those "security" settings in the near future... :roll:

SYSTEM

#237 Post by SYSTEM »

Latest Insider builds allow Windows 10 Pro users to postpone arbitrary updates:

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech ... st-Holiday
Scott Michaud wrote:One feature that might be lauded by our readers is the ability to temporarily pause updates. This one came in on build 15002, and it gives users an option to delay any update that will cause a restart for up to 35 days. Unfortunately for some, this will be restricted to Windows 10 Pro and above, because Microsoft still does not trust that Windows 10 Home users will not ignore updates then complain about how insecure Windows is when a 9-month-old worm hits them.

webfork

#238 Post by webfork »

Some more not-great Windows news:

* Microsoft is crapping on it's own operating system as a means to encourage upgrade. Win 7 "does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments", said Markus Nitschke, head of Windows at Microsoft Germany. (source)

* Gartner doesn't have warm projections for win10 growth.

* There's now a Win10 cloud OS intended to compete with ChromeOS. As it appears to be arm-based, I don't think any of our software will run on it.

joby_toss

#239 Post by joby_toss »

I bet that MS envisions a "closed" OS in their future, running only their apps (and maybe apps from devs that buy the right to use their OS)! It might be a distant future, but I'm pretty sure about my feeling...

SYSTEM

#240 Post by SYSTEM »

PCGamesN benchmarked the Game Mode feature (an upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update feature that attempts to improve gaming performance).

The results are highly inconsistent. At best, Game Mode greatly increases frame rate consistency. In particular, in the Rise of the Tomb Raider test, with GameDVR on (simulating background load) and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU, minimum FPS was 9 without Game Mode and 33 with it.

However, at worst Game Mode hurts performance instead of improving it.
Dave James wrote: By turning Game Mode on when you’re running the GameDVR feature you’re losing between 13-23% and 9-15% gaming performance on the AMD and Nvidia cards respectively.

That’s a massive drop. A massive, unjustifiable drop. I’d be fine with Game Mode simply failing to work, not boosting frame rates, but when it manages to utterly castrate them I’m definitely not sold.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft/wind ... erformance