Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#286 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:33 pm I'm going to add the news about changes in Microsoft Edge browser rendering engine here, as this topic has the highest number of mentions of it...
I did think it was weird that Microsoft was making this big, ongoing open source push everywhere but a place that it might restore their relevance in a dramatic way: the browser.

For my own experience, I know of two large organizations who were Microsoft shops that unabashedly avoided Edge in favor of Internet Explorer, and showed no signs of switching ahead of this news. Now I have little doubt they'll hang on to IE as long as possible and then just bump everyone to Chrome. Sure, Microsoft will put out a "Bing Browser" (I'm choosing that name because it's just Chrome with a bing.com home page), but I can't imagine why anyone would use it.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#287 Post by SYSTEM »

The latest Insider build separates Cortana from Search. https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech ... ider-Build
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

SYSTEM

#288 Post by SYSTEM »

Microsoft is going to allow users to delay updates much longer than currently, especially major updates.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... nsparency/
In previous Windows 10 feature update rollouts, the update installation was automatically initiated on a device once our data gave us confidence that device would have a great update experience. Beginning with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, users will be more in control of initiating the feature OS update. We will provide notification that an update is available and recommended based on our data, but it will be largely up to the user to initiate when the update occurs. When Windows 10 devices are at, or will soon reach, end of service, Windows update will continue to automatically initiate a feature update; keeping machines supported and receiving monthly updates is critical to device security and ecosystem health.
Extended ability to pause updates for both feature and monthly updates. This extension ability is for all editions of Windows 10, including Home. Based on user feedback we know that any update can come at an inconvenient time, such as when a PC is needed for a big presentation. So, we’re making it possible for all users to pause both feature and monthly updates for up to 35 days (seven days at a time, up to five times). Once the 35-day pause period is reached, users will need to update their device before pausing again.

webfork

#289 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pmBased on user feedback we know that any update can come at an inconvenient time, such as when a PC is needed for a big presentation.
It used to be that if Microsoft did something dumb, it would take them some time to right the ship but they'd usually get to it. But this was a huge problem as far back as Vista. Maybe it took a SVP going through a forced upgrade in a room with other SVPs to finally change attitudes.

webfork

#291 Post by webfork »

Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make security updates available for platforms that are no longer in mainstream support (see download links in the following table). These updates are available from the Microsoft Update Catalog only.
Some of the better news I've heard on the older OS front in quite some time.

__philippe

Win XP critical security patch KB4500705

#292 Post by __philippe »

Microsoft issues extra-ordinary security patch KB4500705 for out-of support Win XP:
(First WinXP out-of-support patch since May 2017 WannaCry scare )

Forbe's current story here, (among myriad other sources)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflah ... 7959b831ae

and Arstechnica's, for good measure:
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -wannacry/

To the Die-Hard, Obstinate and Unrepentant local breed of XP users :mrgreen: : Do patch, pretty please...!
(smooth 5 min procedure : download patch - run - reboot)
8)

__philippe

Win XP critical security patch KB4500705

#293 Post by __philippe »

Ooops... :roll:
Failed to notice Billon's (rather demure) prior post about this significant threat.
Thanks to the powers-that-be for relocating the OP to a more appropriate topic... :wink:

billon

#294 Post by billon »

:mrgreen:

thepiney

#295 Post by thepiney »

From How-To Geek website:

As Microsoft’s Security Response Center explains, this patch fixes a “wormable” vulnerability in Remote Desktop Service in Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008:

Quoted frrom the MS site in the How-To Geek article:

The Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) itself is not vulnerable. This vulnerability is pre-authentication and requires no user interaction. In other words, the vulnerability is ‘wormable’, meaning that any future malware that exploits this vulnerability could propagate from vulnerable computer to vulnerable computer in a similar way as the WannaCry malware spread across the globe in 2017.

--------

So, I've always disabled the "Remote Desktop Service" in XP and used other software, mainly Teamviewer for remote support. Does that mean I am still vulnerable or not?

I don't do much with the XP boxes anymore, except non-web based activities. Although I do regularly (every couple months or so) run Windows Update for the WE09-POSReady, PortableApps and Avast (don't shoot me please) updates. Any web activities on these systems are taken care of with Linux (dual booting).

Midas

#296 Post by Midas »

It's in the news...

Microsoft is warning users of older versions of Windows to urgently apply a Windows Update today to protect against a potential widespread attack. The software giant has patched a critical remote code execution vulnerability in Remote Desktop Services that exists in Windows XP, Windows 7, and server versions like Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008. Microsoft is taking the highly unusual approach of releasing patches for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 even though both operating systems are out of support. Windows XP users will have to manually download the update from Microsoft’s update catalog.

EDIT: everyone not running Windows 8/10 should patch up ASAP. :!:

BlueKeep is a software security vulnerability affecting computers using older versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system; Windows 8 and Windows 10 are unaffected. The vulnerability is said to be capable of being exploited for the initiation of self-replicating worm malware as destructive as the 2017 WannaCry attack, associated with ransomware infections, that shut down computers all over the world.

Midas

#297 Post by Midas »

Extensive, detailed (and humorous) tale of solving a very simple but very annoying Windows problem:

The Endless Quest To Make My Windows PC Stay Asleep Overnight
kotaku.com /the-endless-quest-to-make-my-windows-pc-stay-asleep-ove-1823232841

Midas

#298 Post by Midas »

New Windows 10?
Windows 10X is designed exclusively for foldable and dual-screen hardware, and Microsoft has customized it as a result. One of the biggest noticeable changes is the new Windows 10X Start menu. It no longer includes the animated Live Tiles found on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows Phone, and it now includes a more simplified look.

SYSTEM

#299 Post by SYSTEM »

Article about improvements in the April 2020 update: https://www.techspot.com/news/84312-wha ... pdate.html

Midas

#300 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote: Article about improvements in the April 2020 update: www.techspot.com /news/84312-what-new-windows-10-upcoming-april-2020-update.html

Interesting. Something that could be relevant for portability minded people:

You may be familiar with the Windows Sandbox, which is based on virtualization and has been present in Windows 10 since version 1903. This is very useful for working with certain apps inside an isolated environment, but until now it didn't have things like microphone support, or the functionality to configure different aspects of the sandbox like networking, shared folders, startup scripts, or vGPU.

In another piece of somewhat related news from The Guardian, a MIcrosoft hardware review provides insight into the native ARM Windows version...

The Surface Pro X is a glimpse of an ARM-powered Windows future...