Some AV protection

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

Some AV protection

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Because Avast AV Free is trying to push GrimeFighter on me and I already hate Avira, I ask you all for an advice.

I don't need an AV for my internet habits anymore; I know what I surf and what I download.
But I need protection against threats from unknown USB devices (work related, guaranteed to encounter threats periodically).

Is there some free tool that I can run on-demand to scan USB devices before I can safely access their contents?
What method do you use to protect your PC against USB malware?

No real-time free AV protection for me anymore! I'm sick of it!
Thanks!

Midas

Re: Some AV protection

#2 Post by Midas »

I used to be mostly a MS Security Essentials user, but slowly I have adopted a non-resident solution for all the computers I manage.

For the last couple of years, I've been content with Winpatrol coupled with Sentinel (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2289) -- it enables me not to run ClamWin (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=601) real-time, because it's heavy and slow, but I have it on the system tray for whenever it's needed.

On the downside, some would say ClamAV detection isn't first rate... http://www.av-comparatives.org/.
Last edited by Midas on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

3K3

#3 Post by 3K3 »

joby_toss wrote:Is there some free tool that I can run on-demand to scan USB devices before I can safely access their contents?
What method do you use to protect your PC against USB malware?
I'm using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free with my launcher (willing to share if interested).

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

3K3 wrote:I'm using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free with my launcher (willing to share if interested).
  • I am... :mrgreen:

loin2kolpotoru

#5 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I have tried lots of antivirus but still not found any antivirus faster then avast. So i stick with the old version of avast.

Although Comodo Internet Security is slower then avast but if you want to replace avast you can give Comodo Internet Security a try because it has a free version and it supports offline update.

3K3

#6 Post by 3K3 »

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Portable
UniEx on installer:
all in {App} -> mbam folder (portable package)
Configuration folder ({commonappdata}\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) -> mbam\Users folder

Launcher=MBsAnti-Malware.exe

Config Options (Launcher.ini):
[MBsAnti-Malware]
Command Line Parameters=commas to separate params
[Windows Integration]
Start MBsAnti-Malware At Login=startup reg value
Send To Shortcut=Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Portable option
[FileASSASSIN]
Integrate Into Shell=right-click options on files
Last edited by 3K3 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you very much for your answers!

The "lightest" solution I found so far is Bitdefender Free AV 2014. It has a minimalistic interface, barely any settings and uses very few system resources (almost can't tell it's installed). I feel I should give it a chance, 'cause I like what I see so far. It also passed the tests I threw at it (some viruses I had laying around).

But it didn't like Comodo Firewall, so I uninstalled this firewall (it also had another "problem": it showed only 127.0.0.1 as remote IPs and I didn't know how to fix it, so it was time to go anyway).
As a firewall solution (a must for my outbound connections control) I chose Private Firewall free. I have to say that it is a nightmare to configure. I don't know if I'll keep it, but it deserves a few more days.

I don't think Malwarebytes can detect viruses. Or can it? It also doesn't have real-time protection.

If my solution doesn't work, I think I'll give ClamWin a chance.

loin2kolpotoru

#8 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

Does Bitdefender Free AV 2014 support offline update?

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

I don't think so. It doesn't even have an offline installation kit. In fact the user has to connect to my.bitdefender.com service from time to time (from what I understand) which is annoying indeed, but I can't really complain too much about this yet, as my installation still has 28 days remaining until I have to connect.
Not the same thing for the paid version, apparently: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46826

loin2kolpotoru

#10 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

This sounds like trial version.

freakazoid

#11 Post by freakazoid »

My version of BitDefender Internet Security just expired and I'm not renewing it. While decent, I didn't like parts of the experience.

I'm currently using Windows Defender (basically is MSE), PrivateFirewall 7 and Peerblock. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good on-demand scanner. Might check out 3K3's launcher.

ESET is always a perennial, good choice, but I haven't used it as of late. Kaspersky always ranks near the top and is something I've wanted to try, but never have.

Here's an article by ZDNet that may be useful:
http://www.zdnet.com/antivirus-on-windo ... 000025359/

If I'm sticking with the freebies, Panda Cloud Antivirus might be a good, free option if you don't want to use AVG or Avira. Qihoo 360 and Fortinet Forticlient are some darkhorses to try.

I'm probably going to give Qihoo a test run.

Update: Just installed Qihoo. Uses Bitdefender's definitions, which is quite nice. Big download file (235MB), installed filesize is 542MB (mostly Bitdefender definition files). RAM usage is only 25-30MB though. Quite lightweight. I like it so far.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:I don't think Malwarebytes can detect viruses. Or can it? It also doesn't have real-time protection.
  • Just tested the portable MBAM (kudos to 3K3 :)) and it does have virus scanning and definition updates; not RTP, at least not in the free version... :)

abacusFanboi

Re: Some AV protection, Avast free 2014, not cloud

#13 Post by abacusFanboi »

Avast free 8(?) "2014"
Avast free is not cloud. (if you disable some of that)
You must review many settings.
Active Protection sidetab: i disabled web shield, it seems to slow page loads. I already use Noscript and Proxomitron with strict allows.
Appearance sidetab: status monitoring. i leave all enabled. i think they are the floater alerts.
Updates, manual

Save yourself trouble when installing, but disabling some of these.
Also Avast program updates, pane opens after windows restart. uncheck the google Chrome checkoff near the bottom. Don't overlook that.

Browser cleanup seems to be the same as the addons dialog in IE Internet Options
Be sure to not install the app updater (whatever it's name is). it links to google.
Also, put google analytics in your hosts and block lists.
'Secureline' is optional VPN service (I assume paid)
Some AvastUi.exe tcp out are to fetch ads for inside the main pane. if easily annoyed by ads, you might want to create some firewall rules.

The visuals of Avast GUI changed a few months ago. Avast current visuals lack borders, making it difficult to see edges of multiple under laid panes, windows, desktop.

Firewall Comodo 5. The GUI for newer version is said to be clumsy.
Comodo rule tip: you can create port set containing IPs and domains. Using domains handles when the IPs might change.

loin2kolpotoru

#14 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

freakazoid wrote:Just installed Qihoo. Uses Bitdefender's definitions, which is quite nice. Big download file (235MB), installed filesize is 542MB (mostly Bitdefender definition files). RAM usage is only 25-30MB though. Quite lightweight. I like it so far.
Dose Qihoo 360 Internet Security has offline update support? And dose it give option to ignore a virus alert (sometimes av detects false positive then avast gives me option to decide what to do with that file).

freakazoid

#15 Post by freakazoid »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:
freakazoid wrote:Just installed Qihoo. Uses Bitdefender's definitions, which is quite nice. Big download file (235MB), installed filesize is 542MB (mostly Bitdefender definition files). RAM usage is only 25-30MB though. Quite lightweight. I like it so far.
Dose Qihoo 360 Internet Security has offline update support? And dose it give option to ignore a virus alert (sometimes av detects false positive then avast gives me option to decide what to do with that file).
Here's a post by one of the Wilders Security forum users on this:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost ... count=1188
is it stealth? ;)