Positive press on lifehacker - comments

Any other tech-related topics
JohnTHaller

Re: Positive press on lifehacker today...

#46 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:While I respect your desire to leave a topic alone that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, the goal here isn't to stoke the fire, but to resolve it.
I've explained myself and my intentions. Apologized for the omission of how to read a PFC entry and amended the entry. I'm unsure what more 'resolution' you expect here.
webfork wrote:You do a lot here and I’m happy to have you, but you spend a lot of time promoting your site and your views on software (including the "Just Works" approach). If you’re here when it suits you and then publicly defame our work, that’s a false-friend. Further, it discourages new visitors, user activity, and dampens the interest of people who want to volunteer their time. You also put down something a lot of other people have put a lot of time and energy into.
I also spend a lot of time trying to make PFC better and work better for users (especially new ones). I've made quite a few suggestions along those lines in this very thread. As for your claim that I 'defamed' anything: No, I didn't. It wasn't my intention and it wasn't what I said. I didn't defame anything at all. And Andrew himself agrees with me:
Andrew Lee wrote:A much as you guys might hate me for this, I don't think John has done anything sinister or wrong. As far as I can tell, all his comments both here and on lifehacker has been civil and measured. He may be evangelizing his views and platform to a certain extent, and I may not agree with all his points, but I think everyone is entitled to his views, and I certainly don't think he is under any obligation to agree with ours.
I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, Andrew. And your taking my comments at face value.
webfork wrote:That’s true and you’re actually getting singled out here and not getting held to the same standard that everyone else has. I’m sure someone from our site has been negative about PA on a pro-PA thread, and it didn’t get this kind of reaction. However, you are a leader both in portable and open source software. You must realize that your voice carries a little further than other people, including me. You are treated differently because – to some extent – you have a much larger public profile. PA does get more press – including direct mention on Slashdot – and probably always will.
This is true. But it doesn't mean I need to exclude myself from a discussion online. Nor am I required not to voice an opinion. I didn't 'attack' PFC nor did I 'trash' it in any way. It's a valuable site. If I thought it wasn't, I would say so. I'm unsure why some folks here feel the need to read something deeper into my simple, factual and brief statement about PFC in a single paragragh of a short lifehacker post that's not a 'featured comment' and not even visible by default.
webfork wrote:I say so because tinkerers make up a good percentage of this site. It’s a group that does a LOT of work trying to make existing software work the way they want. They will be the most vocal group as well as one of the most active. It’s not your primary audience, but still it's an important one.
We have a huge tinkerer audience at PortableApps.com. A number of them act as our dozens of developers and app packagers. But they too prefer apps that 'just work' as opposed to requiring the same manual steps from hundreds or thousands of end users. So, we do the grunt work, get it all working properly, and the end user is left to be a user and enjoy the apps. It's far more efficient than just documenting it and then leaving the end users to do the same tedious steps over and over again. But there will always be people who want to do it themselves and they are still free to. They can do so with our platform. They can even use our tools and our code, since they're all open.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

stevegutry

#47 Post by stevegutry »

This site is all about freedom of choice!
I guess that most people who come here also know about your site - so that is another choice.

You run your site the way you you want (which is understandable) but you should also consider the experiences of visitors to your site. It really gets up my nose the way your "zealots" lurk in the shadows, waiting for a newbie to attack! And heaven forbid if the newbie commits the ultimate sin of forgetting to use that stupid little thing up in the righthand corner - a searchbox - maybe? After the newbies are suitably berated & shot down in flames by the zealots, they finish off with the ultimate insult by adding a totally insincere "Oh - by the way - welcome to P.A. " For crying out loud, you guys should know that newbies are like "kiddies in a kandy store" - they are too busy looking here, there and everywhere & totally forget about minor details which evidently are the end of the world for the zealots. Is life that boring & meaningless for them? They probably pull wings off spiders too!

In comparison, this site is like a breath of fresh air - as I mentioned earlier - freedom of choice. I personally don't like the way that you always try to push your packages down our throats. If we want yours then we can always go to your site. I do appreciate your work and also use many of your packages, but please do not try to make this site like yours.

Midas

#48 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:[...]

1) John doesn't agree with the views of TPFC
2) John didn't say nice things about TPFC
3) I don't agree with portableapps' definition of "portable"
4) I don't like what portableapps is doing

I think we can simply agree to disagree here.
Check 1 to 3 for me (non stated options notwithstanding).

I'll always be ready to agree to disagree. Yet, I do think this debate is timely -- if nothing else, for the sake of disclosure... 8)

webfork

#49 Post by webfork »

Had an incredibly intense last few days. I realize my response is ill-timed...
JohnTHaller wrote:I didn't 'attack' PFC nor did I 'trash' it in any way.
I can see I'm not making any progress here so I'll stop.
I am Baas wrote:the points made in his comments are accurate. This should be the topic of this discussion, not us vs. them thing. Let's use it as a cause for improving TPFC experience.
Baas: Sounds good. If you'd be so kind as to create a separate thread and we'll start putting together what specifically needs fixing with site policy. I'll draft something and ask Andrew to make it live.