Interview with an adware writer

Any other tech-related topics
SYSTEM

Interview with an adware writer

#1 Post by SYSTEM »

Just found this a bit old but very insightful article.

http://philosecurity.org/2009/01/12/int ... are-author
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

Re: Interview with an adware writer

#2 Post by webfork »

Very interesting. I would like to see some awareness that like the #1 problem I've seen with people's computers over time (above even Viruses) is too much bullshit running in RAM like adware. Startup Control Panel was for at least 3 years my first support application on anything I tested (I now use Starter). This guy is definitely part of the reason people hate computers.

Still, I agree with his statement "It really showed me the power of gradualism. It’s hard to get people to do something bad all in one big jump, but if you can cut it up into small enough pieces, you can get people to do almost anything." I have definitely been there.

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

Thanks for the link, SYSTEM, very interesting interview.
webfork wrote:Still, I agree with his statement "It really showed me the power of gradualism. It’s hard to get people to do something bad all in one big jump, but if you can cut it up into small enough pieces, you can get people to do almost anything." I have definitely been there.
Definitively, so do I, and it's scary. But, in the beggining, there's something that is useful to remind: "Beggars can't be choosers"

dany

#4 Post by dany »

"Beggars can't be choosers"
Oh yes they can, it's just a choice between two negatives. And the stomach always wins.