Updates for the 24th December

Any other tech-related topics
guinness

Updates for the 24th December

#1 Post by guinness »

Emka don't you have a holiday too? The amount of updates you've done today is phenomenal so thanks very much :) I beleive the community will appreciate your contribution very much.

lautrepay

Re: Updates for the 24th December

#2 Post by lautrepay »

100% agreed. Thanks, Emka, your work is very much appreciated!

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Emka don't you have a holiday too? The amount of updates you've done today is phenomenal so thanks very much :) I beleive the community will appreciate your contribution very much.
Good call.

Emka

#4 Post by Emka »

I do have a holiday, but I sometimes found a few minutes to do something else than cleaning, decorating, cooking, eating, unwrapping...
(And I usually work so much that I find it hard to do nothing during holidays. Sometimes Wikipedia gets my attention, sometimes household chores, sometimes our little site here.)
Finally, happy christmas to you all!

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

but I sometimes found a few minutes
Well you're quick. Are you using WebVersions to find the updates?

Emka

#6 Post by Emka »

No, I just go through the db, go to the applications' websites and see if a new version is available, if I can find a changelog and if the links seem still valid.
But I actually feel a bit uncomfortable getting the attention. I've learned so much from this site that I feel it's okay to give something back, even if I'm anything but a software pro.
BTW, do tell me if you, perchance, come across any mistakes in my updating. I hope I'll find some more time in the coming days.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

OK, well that works just as well. I haven't seen any glaring mistakes, plus you have a good reputation on TPFC so I don't see how you could possibly mess up.

Some would argue that the size attribute of the application should be updated, but I would argue that in general an update doesn't change the size of an application significantly & this is rounded to the nearest MB anyway.
Before I started developing I updated a few applications (circa 2009) and I know from experience that if you don't use the application having to download (on a slow connection) takes time, so the version number & changelog (if available) is all that matters.*

*In my humble opinion. If a major update is available (and you would know if it was) then a forum post should be made for myself or someone else to test if it's still portable.

lautrepay

#8 Post by lautrepay »

Emka wrote:No, I just go through the db, go to the applications' websites and see if a new version is available, if I can find a changelog and if the links seem still valid.
But I actually feel a bit uncomfortable getting the attention. I've learned so much from this site that I feel it's okay to give something back, even if I'm anything but a software pro.
BTW, do tell me if you, perchance, come across any mistakes in my updating. I hope I'll find some more time in the coming days.
7-Zip Theme Manager 2.1 was a bit controversial. It was not updated until now because the suspect that it requires .NET. But, analized with PEStudio, apparently .NET is not necessary.

GeddichNixan

#9 Post by GeddichNixan »

Emka wrote:But I actually feel a bit uncomfortable getting the attention. I've learned so much from this site that I feel it's okay to give something back, even if I'm anything but a software pro.
Lovely :D It is a nice bunch of people here, so you have to be prepared for getting at least a bit of attention. Don't be too embarrassed. Anyway, you have my thanks too and I wish you (just as all the others at this community) happy holidays.

Emka

#10 Post by Emka »

I have now reached page 260 something of 401 pages and I am not sure whether to continue. The apps back there have, of course, not been updated in quite some time -- but mostly for a good reason: they are no longer developed, no longer maintained or even no longer available...

Checker

#11 Post by Checker »

Emka wrote:I have now reached page 260 something of 401 pages and I am not sure whether to continue. The apps back there have, of course, not been updated in quite some time -- but mostly for a good reason: they are no longer developed, no longer maintained or even no longer available...
Now you reached the point, I did some month ago :lol:
But you did very good work so far :!: (Seems like more updates in 4 days, than me in a year :wink: )
I made some "cosmetic" changes at some entries (like better icon, and change from "Launch the program by double-clicking on xxx.exe" into: "Launch xxx.exe" etc.) ... hope you don't mind.

Emka

#12 Post by Emka »

Checker wrote:I made some "cosmetic" changes at some entries
Danke nach Ingolstadt!

dany

#13 Post by dany »

All kudos to you, Emka. I'm short on superlatives to express the excellent work you've done.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

Some updates have really been a blast from the past e.g. TweakUI. I think this is a sign that I should really go through my Portable applications and delete the ones I don't use.

Emka

#15 Post by Emka »

I have reached the end of the db. I should mention that I have not reported broken links that had been reported before and that I have not checked on most of the old games.