Alternatives to Google search

Any other tech-related topics
freakazoid

Re: Alternatives to Google search

#136 Post by freakazoid »

Found another alternative - Disconnect Search:
https://search.disconnect.me/

Anonymizes searches to Google, Bing, Yahoo, Blekko or DuckDuckGo.

Doesn't offer the ability to paginate search results, which is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

Definitely liking this one. Adding it as a backup to Startpage.com.
is it stealth? ;)

freakazoid

#137 Post by freakazoid »

And another one - F-Secure Search:
https://search.f-secure.com/

It allows you to search Google anonymously and also has Google ads, which is exactly the same as how Startpage.com operates! :) Like Disconnect, F-Secure offers no pagination, but good to know that another decent company has started offering anonymous search.

Privacy policy is more rigid than Disconnect's though.

However, I'm going to keep this one in my back pocket as well.
is it stealth? ;)

bzl333

#138 Post by bzl333 »

idk what their privacy policy is but i stumbled on to this one today and the results format is pretty useful to me:

http://www.biglistofwebsites.com/

prob its been around for a decade and everyone already knows about it but i've never seen it until today :lol:

guinness

#139 Post by guinness »

I like the F-Secure in regards to determining whether a site is harmful or not, without the need for a browser extension. Though it still nothing compared to StartPage and DDG in terms of privacy.

Specular

#140 Post by Specular »

It's a pity none of these offer infinite scroll, as I use a userscript that enables this for Google and I couldn't do without it. DuckDuckGo has the better interface of the alternatives available, although even that lacks linked page numbers (the ability to click the infinite scroll paginated break to go directly to only that page, something my userscript offers).

freakazoid

#141 Post by freakazoid »

Specular wrote:It's a pity none of these offer infinite scroll
Privatelee.com offers infinite scroll.
is it stealth? ;)

Toxteth O'Grady

#142 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Specular wrote:It's a pity none of these offer infinite scroll.

So does qwant.com.

joby_toss

#143 Post by joby_toss »

I'm using StartPage for a few days now; no complaints so far.
Here is the Firefox plugin: https://eu4.startpage.com/eng/download- ... lugin.html

joby_toss

#144 Post by joby_toss »

Status update: still using StartPage for my daily routine and I find it almost perfect. I only revert back to Google when I need to do an image search (not satisfied at all with StartPage for this task).
Result: ?
No idea why I feel the need to hide my search strings from Google... maybe the fact that I've been bullied while growing up has something to do with my hate for giants...

Midas

#145 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:No idea why I feel the need to hide my search strings from Google...
  • We have a saying around here that goes "never put all your eggs in the same basket". I really liked how Google came into the field and changed the game for everyone, but I don't think it's in your best interest to support hegemony. If power corrupts, no need to stress what absolute power does... :|

webfork

#146 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:I really liked how Google came into the field and changed the game for everyone, but I don't think it's in your best interest to support hegemony.
It's crucial to have more than one search operation on the scene. What happened to Ghacks and FreewareGenius due to Google's algorithm changes is the very tip of the iceberg. I think nobody's willing to take on Google directly (unless you're an Apple or Microsoft) because they're afraid of getting "reorganized" with all their search results sent to the bottom. That's way too much power.

Midas

#147 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:I think nobody's willing to take on Google directly (unless you're an Apple or Microsoft) because they're afraid of getting "reorganized" with all their search results sent to the bottom.
I believe you just made my point crystal clear. Thanks for that. :mrgreen:

freakazoid

#148 Post by freakazoid »

joby_toss wrote:Status update: still using StartPage for my daily routine and I find it almost perfect. I only revert back to Google when I need to do an image search (not satisfied at all with StartPage for this task).
Result: ?
No idea why I feel the need to hide my search strings from Google... maybe the fact that I've been bullied while growing up has something to do with my hate for giants...
Status update from me: Currently using Disconnect with StartPage as a backup.

After looking at their HTML source, StartPage appears to do some form of tracking with image pixels. Their privacy policy does say they track some non-personal data:
In fact, the only information we do record... other strictly non-personal statistics. Such statistics may include the number of times our service is accessed by a type of operating system, a type of browser, a language, etc.—or a combination thereof.
I've blocked their tracking pixels and thought I'd let everyone know.
is it stealth? ;)

smaragdus

#149 Post by smaragdus »

blekko is no more- bought by IBM, what a shame- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blekko.

Midas

#150 Post by Midas »

FYI, Firefox users can add Disconnect Search to their list of default search engines by choosing the adequate link from the Mycroft Project: